Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart expected, understands heavy Georgia football attrition, no panic

SystemSystem Posts: 10,463 admin
edited January 2022 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart expected, understands heavy Georgia football attrition, no panic

ATHENS — There’s no panic in the Georgia football building, and certainly, no surprises.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

Time for UGA and CKS to show whether we can be elite in reloading every year or not. College football has changed forever with NIL and the transfer portal. Future elite teams will get ahead at all this and excel in it.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No panic, indeed!

• Options
    CrushmoreCrushmore Posts: 29 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited January 2022

Somebody needs to examine to me why the few DBs we have on a depleted DB roster are hitting the portal.

• Options
    DawgOnTheBeachDawgOnTheBeach Posts: 59 ✭✭✭ Junior

MG you know that SBIV did not mention Smart or UGA in his comment about playing next year. You added that to add drama and to possibly create controversy. Some would call that “fake news!”

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maybe I'm reading too much into Bennett's "trust the decisions made" comment.

Kirby is going to make every player at every position earn it. If Bennett's giving Kirby an ultimatum, I don't think he will be back.

• Options
    jackbmattjackbmatt Posts: 122 ✭✭✭ Junior

SBIV = Trent Dilfer. Right place, right time, right team. SBIV gets a natty ring, Dilfer a Super Bowl ring. Neither a longer term answer.

• Options
    dogs_n_bravesdogs_n_braves Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

Excited to maybe see Trez Marshall at MLB. The 3-pack of RBs are as good as ever. O-line should be very strong. D-line looks to have taken this biggest hit - but, Carter is back and he is a beast. Hate to see Kimber and Jaylen Johnson hit the portal. I think they both had a bright future on the team. Still, the secondary just got replaced through recruiting - four blue chips with huge potential.

I think that next year is a two or three loss year, but it is going to be fun.

• Options
    dogs_n_bravesdogs_n_braves Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

Oh, also the Aussie punter and Zirkel the kicker (not sure he's still on the team, though). Fun, fun, fun.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I agree, offense will be the strength of this team. Solid core of well experienced quality lineman returning is the 1st key. Running backs will as good or better next year I think. Great receivers returning with McConkey, Mitchell and TE Bowers. I also believe Burton, A. Smith, Rosemy-Jacksaint, will return. Kind of on the fence about K. Jackson and D. Blalock maybe returning or maybe the portal. I would love to see both of them back. I believe we only keep one of the TE's in Fitzpatrick or Washington. I don't think Gilbert will ever play but I hope I'm 100% wrong on that.

I hope our QB situation about who is returning with Bennett and Daniels clears up real soon or we going to see some very costly attrition of the future pretty quick.

Will be hard to replace Kamarda. Our defense has enough high quality and experienced players to hold it down while the young talent evolves. Not sure what Kirby will pull from the portal if anything but anything he does pull will be to fill depth where we are the weakest.

I'm excited about next year and I'm gonna go ahead and call it here, regardless of who returns at QB, Vandagriff will be the starter by week 3.

• Options
    MountainDawgMountainDawg Posts: 20 ✭✭ Sophomore

That's not fake news. Maybe know what your talking about first. That’s a direct quote from when he was interviewed on GMA

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Kirby is a master roster manager. He'll get us in the best position possible.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

The transfer portal definitely has its good and bad points for both players and teams. It gives disgruntled players a chance to leave and frees-up scholarships for players who want to be DGDs. I found it interesting that Bama lost 8 players to the “portal” in less than 48 hours after the game….. so we aren’t the only team losing folks to that system. Hopefully we will pick up some superstars via transfer. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sure hope we don't dip into the portal unnecessarily, but rather focus on developing and using the immensely talented kids we've recruited, even if a little green. Otherwise you risk running the latter off (to the portal), and sending signals to future prospects that they'll have to collect splinters for 2 years before they see substantial PT. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

MountainDawg, appreciate your posts, but in this case DawgOnTheBeach is correct. The actual quote is “We will see if I can trust the decisions made by the staff, and we will see where I’m going to play.” Nowhere did he mention CKS or UGA itself. Here’s a link with the full transcript: https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/news-stetson-bennett-cryptic-response-regarding-future-bulldogs-qb

Like many on this board, I’ve been trying to parse this phrasing six-ways-from-Sunday since the interview… then it hit me: how much stock should I place in an off-handed remark from a hung-over, sleep deprived (at best 😁) 20-something less than half a day after an emotional victory on the largest stage there is in his sport? Answer: probably not a lot!

I'll place my chips with those who think CKS and SBIV are both honorable, realistic guys and await more clarity post the parade weekend.

Enjoy the victory celebration today, all!

• Options
    DawgOnTheBeachDawgOnTheBeach Posts: 59 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kudzu thanks for setting MountainDawg straight. I too appreciate his posts

• Options
    budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2022

I really believe Tindall may be making a mistake by leaving if he does. This year, this would be his defensive team. He could work himself into a 1st round pick. I think if T.Walker came back, he would become a top 5 pick. I hope kimber gets his head on straight, stays out of trouble, and is offered a chance to come back.

BTW- why is Tykee Smith listed under returning? Has he made a decision yet?

I just know, there sure isn't a lot of returning on defense.😬😬😬

GO DAWGS!!!!!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well. one of the people involved in the celebration program mentioned that Stet would be returning...it may have been a Channel 2 reporter...cannot recall. Just reporting,. nothing more.