Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Former Georgia wide receiver Jermaine Burton announces transfer to Alabama

2»

Comments

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Whoever voted mine down, do you have a better idea?

• Options
    MickeyRichMickeyRich Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2022

As much as I hate to see Jermaine leave, it looks like a good decision for him. 

Consider this, WRs at Bama get four times greater targets & catches than at UGA, scoring more than twice as many TDs. Why wouldn't elite receivers choose Bama over UGA?

Additionally, Bama's has elite QB play that can push the ball downfield outside the numbers-UGA QB play is far from elite. Just compare Bama's QB stats over the last five seasons to UGA QBs.

I don't like to say this, but Bama is better than UGA for elite WRs.

We get elite TE & RB play and so-so QB play to this point, but we have problems attracting, retaining, and utilizing elite WRs. 

As it is now, UGA's offense is not attractive for elite WRs.  For WRs at UGA, the emphasis seems to be on blocking instead of making catches and scoring.

Since we can't attract elite WRs, we should go after certain types of high-three to mid-four star WRs: a fast, possession, or quick guy.

Anyway, I'm sure Natty winning Coach Kirby will figure it out.

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Smart might want to think twice before recruiting another receiver tutored by Terrance "I love to teach youth" Edward's. Some of his pupils include Burton, Justin Robinson and Arik Gilbert. I see a pattern.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I feel your pain. I’m glad we even have the Dawg Nation site. Thankful for it. But the auto refresh thing gets really frustrating. I’m confident that the portal door will start swinging the Dawgs way soon. But be glad when it starts ! 😀

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Dang, well if he is healthy he is going to be a weapon because they are going to use him. It's his choice, go do what you have to do young man. It's your life and your decision. Go chase your dreams. Thanks for the hard work.

To be honest if he turns out to be another Williams then we know we have to start using these guys in a similar fashion in order to get them and keep them.

• Options

Burton is no Jameson Williams and problem isn't even a John Metchie. I'd put him more in the Bolden category.

Now, the Dawgs will have their Williams and Metchie next year. Arian Smith and that kid they just signed, have Williams type speed. ,Mitchell, McConkey, Blalock and the plethora of talent they will have in the TE room, give Bennet or "name your QB", all the targets they will need. You can have so many receivers on the field at one time. UGA's set, thank you very much. LOL

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think it may be time to boycott posting on DawgNation, really tired of refresh! I think if they quit getting posts they might get the message and fix the problem. I challenge DawgNation to refrain from posting on this site until the problem is corrected....

Good night....

• Options

I'M game...talk to in the Spring. Maybe, they'll have it fixed by then. LOL

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

BAMA really? At least its not UF. Best wishes.

• Options
    GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

The grass is not ALWAYS greener on the other side, but if it is good for him.......unless he catches the game winning touchdown against us in the 2022 Natty!

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not the d/v, but compensation from the school receiving the transfer is an interesting concept. Or the school losing the transfer gets and extra scholarship for the duration of his eligibility.

• Options
    JoeClarkJoeClark Posts: 428 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So, someone wanting to profit of their NIL warrants the vitriol of "fans"? Which you're writing off as a "wart"?

Grown at 19, they are maybe, what, 2 years removed from having to ask permission to leave a classroom to go use the restroom - please.

• Options
    CigarDawgCigarDawg Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, where he's going, I don't think he'll be very comfortable wearing it around much! 🤣

• Options
    CigarDawgCigarDawg Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You clearly misread his point about the "warts" of the NIL program. He did not call players "warts".

We send 19-year-olds off to war to possibly get maimed or die, expect them to protect each others' lives, use high tech equipment and decide which "enemies" live or die. Asking them to honor a commitment to a school that spent resources and time recruting them and developing them as people and players is not that big of an ask. Nobody is guaranteed the pot of gold at the end of the reainbow, most only get the rain and live meaningful productive lives with gratitude for that.

• Options
    JoeClarkJoeClark Posts: 428 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And you missed a critical point of my post, which was me connecting vitriol to "warts". Not to players...

Resources are spent on these players for the time they are a part of the team. When they are no longer on that team, they are no longer having resources spent on their behalf. So the basis of your argument holds no weight here...

The only expectation is that they are 100% involved when they are having resources spent on them.

in this example, Burton was all in when he was being financially supported by the university. He has now made the decision to be supported by another team/school and, thus, give his services to another team.

There is nothing wrong with that. Many of the fans expect these players to be loyal above and beyond their personal benefit when there is a market that supports their ability to trade in for better benefits.

Hate the game, not the player.