Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football linebacker Nolan Smith arrested for suspended license

SystemSystem Posts: 10,439 admin
edited January 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football linebacker Nolan Smith arrested for suspended license

Georgia football linebacker Nolan Smith was arrested earlier this month due to a suspended license.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Amazing the pot thing is still prevalent even in the best of these young men.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not a smart move by Nolan. He definitely thought he could get away with driving indefinitely on a suspended license. Kids will be kids, but this is no joking matter. He needs to get this straight, but I don't see this as a threat to playing for the Dawgs. He'll get a talking to for sure from Kirby.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There's no mystery to it. People like it and it can be used pretty harmlessly.

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It's still against the law, but laws don't seem to matter in this country anymore. They did him a favor....

• Options

Ok I'm going to sidestep the political bait and stay on topic. I never commented on the legality/illegality of it, because there was no reason to. The comment to which I responded was that it's amazing that young people still smoke pot. My point is simply, no, it isn't.

I'm guessing Smith didn't just happen to get busted his first time trying it. So far, I think it's safe to say that it hasn't ruined his life. Asserting that the Law has done him a favor here seems very presumptuous. Unless you mean by not jamming him up over it?

• Options
    UGADawgUGADawg Posts: 69 ✭✭✭ Junior

There is a bigger issue here that seems to be blinded by the fog of smoke.

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2022

Wrong. Becoming a habitual violator of the law, whether you agree with the law, or not, can, INDEED, ruin his life.

• Options

There is nothing good that can come from smoking weed, unless you're using it for pain maybe for cancer. You get pshycologically dependent on it. Take it from someone who knows.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I won't even get into the "weed/no weed" debate. But seriously, we've got a kazillion people taking paychecks at UGA Athletics Department, can't we assign a person or two to just make sure things like expired DL's and tags and other such mundane stuff is handled. I mean, we have people handling million dollar NIL agreements for these kids, can't we take care of the small things at least -- before they become BIG things?

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

SOrry buddy,, but you don'tbget psychologically addicted to it. You CAN get psychologically addicted to it. But, you can also get physically and emotionally addicted to alcohol.

Everything in moderation. If the kid was even remotely psychologically addicted to Marijuana, there's noway he could have maintained a student athletes academic and physical demands over the last year.

Much ado about nothing these days; however, it IS against the rules and the law. You would think they'd stick with the legal and far more harmful alcohol rather than putting their careers in jeopardy. SMH

• Options

Wow, those have got to be the most unpopular posts I've produced here. And the only points I made were quite simply that it's human nature to want to seek out pleasurable experiences, that for a lot of people that means smoking weed sometimes, and that that's not some automatically life-ruining decision - all objectively true.  

Regardless of how you personally feel about it, it all makes for a pretty ordinary and self-explanatory phenomenon, especially when factoring in the relative impulsivity of youth, so I just think "amazing" is kind of a weird way to frame it. And I find it neither fair nor sensible to make some judgment about how Smith's life is going for no other reason than that he was found with an amount of marijuana too small to warrant any legal action. That's all. Go ahead and vote this down, too, I guess. 

• Options

Just boys being boys,for some. Not a good look for someone whose leadership we’re counting on

• Options

Bigdwg61 sorry but you don’t have a clue about what I said about pot. A quick google search will fill you in.

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Absolutely amazed how folks jump on the pot element of things. So many things are illegal yet most of us violate them on a fairly regular basis but let one football player do it and we all seem shocked. Check the overall student population and all they engage in and we don’t seem to fret about that nor do they get their escapades published in the news. Please don’t get into the free education or representing the university, etc.; all students represent the university and all young people learn and grow while there. In the grand scheme of things, pot is significantly less harmful than alcohol. Not advocating for yet another mind/mood altering substance for use, but let’s don’t question his character or overall makeup. To me, this is much ado about very little and he used poor judgement on the license but overall, nothing to see here.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think all in all Nolan is a good young man. I really do. I just think that as a Young man he made a very **** decision. And yes I Know he’s made one of those decisions twice. Sometimes you go through some pretty tough knocks to Finally wise up and grow up. But for his family’s sake, and his own sake, and Just As importantly people that don’t even know him sake. He needs to let this one be the last one. This could’ve ended up a tragic thing, he was running 89 mph in a 55 mph zone Even if you put aside the MJ at that speed all it’d take would be a deer pop out in front of him or top a hill and another driver going much less speed or a blown tractor trailer truck tire laying in the road. I can’t start beating up on Nolan as I’ve done some Vastly **** things in my life !! He might have been in a big hurry to go see a young Lady. I remember all the many times I thought I was in “love” lol. Amazing all the things I’d do to get to see those young ladies I was in love with !! I finally met the Lady of my life and found Real Love been married 38 years. But I can clearly remember those young days Whew they’d drive you crazy lol !! So those of you that are considerably older than him, just Remember what it was like, then Think about THIS crazy world in which we live in !! Those of you close to his age, a bit of advice to you if I may and it’s free and your choice to take or leave. Please STOP and think about things Before you do them, do your very best to reign in being compulsive. Some decisions that seem so harmless at the moment can Destroy your life !! I was very fortunate and very Blessed that God loves Idiots to, else I’d have gotten in tons of trouble Before I had a chance to Completely mature. It takes longer for some than others, but if they can avoid getting in trouble they can go on to become great contributors to our over all society. Thank You Lord for having your hand on me even when I didn’t realize it nor give You credit.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maybe you can clarify what you were trying to say. I thought I addressed it sufficiently. I don't need to "Google" anything about it....LOL, I have first hand knowledge on both sides of the equation.

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Not sure what you interpreted as presumptuous in my short statement previously. Weed is illegal in Georgia (doesn't matter whether you agree or disagree), combine that with excessive speeding and a suspended license, you have a recipe for trouble.

The law did him a favor allowing him to destroy the weed. Key point here is if you have to be smarter in your decision making. Some people get that, some don't.

• Options
    edited January 2022

I acknowledged that possibility, all you had to say is that that was what you meant. It could have been interpreted as, taking it from him was for his own good, and the way your comment started out, that interpretation seemed a little more in keeping with your intent. But again, I wasn't sure, so I asked.

• Options

BIgDAGWg61

You either need the drug or you don't. If football is your thing and pot is illegal(it is) then the very fact that you're willing to break the law and potentially ruin your future means it's a problem. It's not like he was at a party and some friends asked him to take a few hits. He was by himself( I presume) speeding going 34 MPH over the limit in a constructions zone and he had pot in his car. Duh! Houston we have a proble. Not the end of the world type of problem, but definitely a problem.

All of that speaks to someone who is a regular user. It's not heroin, you can still practice football and go to class and such. BUt don't tell me the guy doesn't want it as much as he can get it. That's the essence of psychological addiction. Everyone controls it, til the stuff hits the fan.