Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia offense expected to continue to funnel through Stetson Bennett in spring drills

Comments

• doubledawg1990doubledawg1990 Posts: 107 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm genuinely curious to know based on some of the posts AND from @MikeGriffith article. I may've missed a recent direct QUOTE from CKS or CTM. Where is there a QUOTE something to the effect of "SB has the starting QB position locked up" or "there will not be equal reps for the QBs in spring practice"? @MikeGriffith article says, "Offensive coordinator Todd Monken recently made it clear to UGA insiders that while the position continues to be evaluated daily, there are no preliminary plans for equal repetitions being split among the returning Bulldogs’ quarterbacks." Was @MikeGriffith in the room? - nope. Does @MikeGriffith name an actual source? - nope. This is not a direct quote from GTM; rather, it is at best 2nd or 3rd hand and at worst a rumor.

Until you hear it directly from CKS or one of the coordinators, folks need to step away from the ledge and begin to realize there are no black helicopters circling above. CKS is in it to win it. The QB that gives us the best chance to win will be the quarterback.

BTW, would you really expect all the QBs to get equal reps in spring practice anyway? I wouldn't. Not realistic under any circumstance.

Pickens big catch was a little long, requiring a layout to catch vs in stride TD -- explosive play any way you cut it.

Bowers' TD was a wounded duck lobbed over a defender, Bowers had to jump to catch it -- check the tape, free defender off the edge coming in SB's face. Didn't take a sack. Didn't throw it away. Ball wasn't batted down (unlike BY's pass that Cine deflected). Made an adjustment. Touchdown.

AD Mitchell's td was late and underthrown and AD had to slow down and reach back over the DB. Lucky DB didn't turn around earlier, easy pick if he does -- SB sees the free play. Again, free defender coming from the edge - had to adjust away to set and throw (timing impacted for sure). AD makes great catch.

Basically SB was not good most of the title game -- neither was BY.

• Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This is an absolutely ludicrous take.

National Championship winning teams do not lead themselves… I was still skeptical about Bennett following Auburn. I had a friend whose a former 3 year starter and another who I attended UGA with and played in the NFL for 5 years tell me - who had insider info from football ops staff - that the consensus was it appeared Stetson had won the locker room and JT had lost it.

Truth hurts but JT wasn’t the guy to get it done.

edited February 2022

All due respect intended, I just highly doubt you and @StaffordSqDawg have any clue about the game of football.

In the peach bowl JT hits Pickens on a bomb where Pickens lays out and grabs it on an identical dive and it was a - great connection with tons of chemistry. With Bennett there’s bias .

JT plays horribly the entire Peach Bowl and turns it in the final two offensive drives and it “took us a while to get going”. But our O-line plays mostly terrible against Bama in pass protection and Stetson Bennett goes something like 6/6 in the 4th quarter making a TD pass in an offsides (the type of 50/50 balls Aaron Rodgers has become revered for) and it’s a great catch by WR/giveaway by the DB lol.

On the Brock Bowers TD Stetson proves he’s learning to adjust to unimpeded edge rushers and adjusts to float a catchable ball that wasn’t tipped as has plagued him and his TE walks into the end zone untouched due to their execution.

If these plays are any QB over 4star rating and over 6’1’’ we are worshiping the ground they walk on as fans. At the end of the day Stetson just isn’t the QB most fans envision leading our program and it drives them into biased craziness. It’s quite comical.

Stetson Bennett had the 40th most efficient passing season IN THE HISTORY of college football last year. Of the players ranked above him, nearly 90% all are 1st or 2nd round draft picks, future hall of famers and 4-5star recruits.

I’ll be here to fact check you bozos next year as Stetsons leading this team to victory and you and “your type” wallow in your misery - refusing to enjoy it.

PS - I challenge you to compare JT’s stats from his post season effort last year to that of Stetson in his postseason this year (against MUCH STIFFER opponents mind you). The proof is in the pudding lol. The pudding just isn’t the brand you like.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2022

Sorry Pal…..15-0 shows your bias and was not a possibility because JT was injured for multiple games. He has actually missed more games than he has played over 4 years due to numerous injuries. I also question your claim that JT was a better leader than Stetson. Really??? That’s certainly not what I’ve been hearing from the players and coaches, but maybe you have knowledge of some top secret inside information that hasn’t been divulged to the general public.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"JT plays horribly the entire Peach Bowl"

You just lose any cred you might of had when you say sh^% like that. 26-38 with 400 yards passing- and that what you call horrible? THat just shows complete and utter bias.

He was harrassed all game with not much running game to help him out. 67 yards rushing? Is that good to you?

@Ddavis0777, are you pointing your comment "All due respect intended, I just highly doubt you and @StaffordSqDawghave any clue about the game of football" at me? Based on what I read of your post, we are on the same page. Go Dawgs.

edited February 2022

Our offense ONLY scored 3 points against Clemson. Our JT led offense ONLY scored 2 TDs total against Cincinnati and Clemson….only 1 TD pass in 8 quarters. If we don’t hit a Peach Bowl record field goal we definitely lose. If we don’t get a pick-6 against Clemson we likely lose. That’s how close JT was to losing BOTH of the games he played against the only 2 teams he faced with winning records. Bennett scored 6 TDs against #1 Bama in the 2 games, but somehow you and your fellow doubters just keep the trash talk going and have nominated JT for sainthood. Your boy lost his job at UGA to a former walk-on and he lost his job at USC to a QB who finished #82 this past season in QBR. Now he’s quit again because he’s not starting and looking for a 3rd taker. You guys are hopeless and are totally blind to the facts that are clear as can be for folks who understand football. Case closed.

• KudzuKudzu Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 2022

Thank you. Rational without degrading anyone. I'm a huge JT fan, but I see zero reason to speculate how many games we would have won with him instead of SBIV... we won the National Championship with SBIV and that's the end of it. Wherever JT goes, I'll likely root for him every game, unless he comes up against UGA.

So, root for JT, or Gunner, or Brock, or whomever... but can we stop the dogging of a National Championship winning coach and QB who have succeeded against incredible odds? This speculating on the past benefits no one, especially all the young men who have worked so hard under such scrutiny for 20-somethings. I'm confident CKS will be infinitely loyal to winning, above and beyond any individual... his team, his coaches, UGA fans, UGA leadership, and UGA boosters will settle for nothing less, and he knows it (and his paycheck knows it, too).

Here's wishing all the players who have come through UGA this past year success on the field and in life, whether here or elsewhere... and most importantly, here's wishing the Dawgs 15-0 this coming season! 😁🤙

Yikes, you got caught in the cross hairs. My bad.

Yes, lots of sarcasm on my end. Growing very tired of people slamming Stetson with little objectivity.

edited February 2022

To be clear you are hanging your hat in JT’s solid (not elite) play against strictly mediocre opponents save for Cincinnati.

5 sacs 3-4 of which were complete o-line busts. One side step on a play he completed for a TD. A 50/50 ball he didn’t even have to throw that ended up as 6 points lmao. And your subjective view in how he kept us in a tough defensive battle for 3 quarters before being the QB that DELIVERED OVER THE HEISMAN in the fourth.

Lastly you are supporting the fact that you feel “nervous” when he’s at the helm. I don’t know man but I feel nervous when anyone from Stafford to Dwan Mathis have been at the helm. I just try to trust the coaches, not nag and complain when we’re experiencing success; and most importantly I try to avoid spreading so much negativity about our QB1- especially our future QB1 who just took us on a Natty run. 😂😂😂😂

edited February 2022

The things you are saying are misleading, if not totally untrue/subjective. Coaches never said no competition until very late in the season when it got toxic in the media/fanbase. Until then it was a week to week evaluation. Meaning JT got a chance. You just don't like that Stetson won Monken and the locker room over. Maybe you think the Natty would look more on-brand if it was with a so-to-speak "elite" QB (which calling anything JT has done in college elite is insincere/willfully ignorant - he's extremely talented at best; but has done nothing elite in college)?

Lastly, Kirby and staff don't owe players or the fanbase a "fair and open competition" as the fans see it... but they do owe it TO THE TEAM to evaluate players on a basis of what sets the TEAM up for the most success. Do you understand how freaking hard it would have been to have had an open QB competition while trying to prepare for an SEC schedule. Which week would you have held the "fair and open competition"? The week of Arkansas - a top ten match up; the week of Auburn - one of our biggest rivals; the weeks of Florida (biggest regular season game every year), Kentucky (basically the play in game for SECCG) or Mizzou (who was coming off their first meaningful win of the season). Every single one of these games were high stakes and the team was winning by an average of 30+ points with Stetson starting and playing great complimentary football on both sides. I'd guess Kirby/Monken determined feasible to reset the QB battle mid season. Why make a change as you're running the table on the SEC slate in dominant fashion? Particularly when you'd have been making the change because fans were outraged with that literally 2.4/100 balls Stetson through were INT's + a couple a game were not as pretty as they'd have liked. LMFAO.

Stetson capitalized on his opportunity and it was crappy the way it played out for JT - I do hate that; but I'm not gonna bash anything Stetson did becuase I wished I'd gotten to see more JT. I won't deny that JT probably is the must more talented guy. But sometimes, as a leader, when you're in a jam you have to do what's best for the ENTIRE TEAM; and it sucks when that comes at the expense of one - high profile - player. But it's clear the right decision were made as the CPP trophy's now in the case. May the best man win in Spring and I pray UGA fans will accept it and move on without spewing the hateful, anti-stetsonite venom that cast a dark cloud over this beautiful season.

Dang Ddavis…..you get an “A+”. Your comments are spot-on and perfectly stated. I agree it’s too bad JT had so many injuries at UGA and USC because I would have enjoyed seeing him play more. With that said, it’s amazing how Bennett has bailed us out 2 seasons in a row as a “back-up” QB. Don’t forget, the 2020 season started with SB coming off the bench to save us against Arkansas in the opener. I believe he could have gone 13-1 in 2020 had he not gotten injured in the Florida game after giving us a 14 point lead. Ironically, JT actually got his start in 2020 when he replaced SB who never fully recovered from his injury. So JT and SB replaced each other due to injuries over the past 2 seasons.