Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football offseason stock report: Adonai Mitchell among fastest rising stars

SystemSystem Posts: 10,478 admin
edited February 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football offseason stock report: Adonai Mitchell among fastest rising stars

The start of Georgia spring football is still a month away (March 15), but it’s a safe bet Kirby Smart and his coaching staff are already drawing up plans for the valuable 15 practices allowed by NCAA rule.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's going to be an interesting Spring. Bennett and the receivers should all benefit from having a super-senior QB and the first team reps together.

The re-load on defense will be something to watch. I look for a drop-off in the front 7 to start the season and continued improvement throughout the season.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Robert BEal, I assume, toook over AA's place and came on strong at the end and If I'm not mistaken became our sack leader. Stock up!

I look for some offensive sets this year with Oscar Delp and Brock Bowers running patterns together at the same time. THat would be formiddable.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2022

As much as I like KMcIntosh and KMilton they are not "a step up" on JCook and ZWhite. A healthy ZWhite was a force all season. He was starting to regain his 5* form after the 2 knee injuries. Nobody worked or runs harder. We have yet to see KMilton survive a full season with similar workload to ZWhite. In fact he couldn't stay on the field even with a minimal workload. Based on last season any player would be hard pressed to top the impact JCook had on the championship season. JCook was a true difference maker.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Beal had one of the critical plays near the end of the NCG. I am expecting him to enjoy a breakout year in 2022.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Milton and McIntosh both have tremendous upside potential as the primary backs. We won’t know until the season is well underway.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Not in my mind. My mind was to win that one game in particular and get off the field without injuries."

I'm sorry, but that is a LIE. If that were the case, then why did you allow your starting QB to play 60 minutes a game? Bennett should've been the first one out if that were true. Daniels would've played all of the 3rd Quarter with Beck taking the 4th.

Sure, the game ends quicker with a running game, but if you're scared about injuries then you don't keep your starters in. Plus, injuries happen in Practices and even while fishing, so don't act like you're protecting them.

Don't manipulate the truth - just state the way things are.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby most likely is alluding to all but the QB.....as having to get off the field and escape injuries. I think he feels Bennett is "bulletproof" as QB...for whatever reason. He surely was bent on keeping him at the helm 98% of the time if not more. And, he proved to be right. Stet is one tough dude. He took some hits. I think Brock V. and Gunner S. will be teflon QBs as well.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I would say that Kelee Ringo's stock is up, not just even. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don't forget Washington and possibly Gilbert. Best TE room in the Country...bar none.

Something doesn't add up with Bennett's age. Mike Griffith and others continue to assert that Bennett was born Oct 1997. That would mean he graduated High School at age 19 yrs 7 mos and turned 20 in the 1st qtr of his Freshman year of College. Did he get a late start in school or miss a couple of years of school for some reason? Does anybody know the story there, since reporters don't seem to be naturally curious anymore. LOL.

Just wondering. It's not really important I guess. But, if you're going to call Bennett "a grown man"...you should be able to explain why that tag belongs on him and not other 21-22-23 yr old players. For instance, I don't hear anybody saying Daniels just turned 22 and provides a prospective school with a talented "grown man" at QB.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

You know, Daijun, given the opportunity would be a beast. If he would have gotten reps behind the ones last year. I understand the depth of the backfield last season and all but hopefully Edwards will get a legitimate shot. Georgia’s backfield this coming season with be loaded. Those 2 incoming freshmen are going to be special.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Milton and McIntosh certainly have upside potential over their production last year. Milton has produced 457 rushing yards (1 td) in 2 years at UGA. ZWhite had 856 rushing yards (11 tds) LAST season. McIntosh had 548 total combined yards last year. Cook had 1012 combined yards. But to ASSUME that Milton and McIn are "a step up" from White and Cook is either 1) an optimistic fanspeak reach or 2) another example of Griffith looking down on how great a player ZWhite was for UGA. White and Cook have huge shoes to fill. Milton's injury history and UGA's RB by committee approach all but assures that Milton and McIntosh will not be "a step up" statistically (or in the case of White in heart or leadership) from White and Cook. 

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

a fan calling what the OC said, is a LIE is uncalled for.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"McIntosh makes up half a backfield that looks to be a step up from 2021."

I just don't see the evidence for that. As much as I like M&M, Zeus and Cook had shown a lot more going into '21 than McIntosh and Milton have shown so far. In about the same number of games, they got nearly 2,000 yards rushing versus 1,200 so far for M&M, and a good bit more receiving too. Plus they were both higher level recruits.

And just look at the way they've played: I've only seen flashes of Milton running a power game like Zeus'. Same with McIntosh's receiving and slicing/dicing in comparison to Cook.

Finally, consider the running back depth chart. McIntosh, Milton and Edwards were next up in '21. We'll be very, very luck if Edwards, Robinson and Paul (if Paul makes the team) are as effective as that trio off the bench.

Don't get me wrong. Of course, I HOPE our backfield will be a step up. M&M have looked brilliant in spurts, and Branson Robinson does a great impression of a human cannonball. I just wouldn't be predicting it.

• Options
    CTDawgFanCTDawgFan Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

Daijun Edwards has only gotten to run the ball with mostly the #2 offense AND when the other team absolutely knew UGA was going to run the ball… And he still made a ton of great runs last year! He also has above average hands. He caught a lot of passes in High School. I expect Edwards to be way better than the credit he gotten so far given more opportunities.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The inconsistent and sporadically successful running game over the last 2 yrs isn't all on the RBs. After Sam Pittman left, the offensive line took a step back with respect to run blocking. With Cade May's leaving as well,, there was a void in continuity.

However, pass blocking actually improved under new o-line Coach Matt Luke. UGA recruited bigger, less athletic, but, stronger offensive linemen to set up a wall for Daniels to stand behind and deliver the ball. Daniels' injuries and the availability and emergence of an accurate, mobile QB, in Bennett changed Monkin's approach and increased the need for a sustained running attack...especially in the 2nd half.

Tate Ratledge going down in the Clemson game was more unfortunate than many people realize. I'll explain.

Everyone saw what UGA's running game could have been over the last year...in the 2nd half of the NCG. Just before the half a subtle but highly effective change was made on the offensive front. Salyer was moved to Right Guard and Jones was installed at Left Tackle. If Ratledge hadn't gone down in the 1st game, UGA's running game throughout the season, would have looked very similar to the 2nd half of the NCG.

Watch the 2nd half of the NCG again and pay close attention to blocking schemes. Holes were consistently opened to get backs to the 2nd level. That consistency wasn't there during the season or up to that point. Those guys were working together and Cook/White were the beneficiaries and had the talent to punish BAMA's defensive backfield.

It was a master **** by Luke/Smart/Monkin and a real thing of beauty to watch.