Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Kirby Smart’s big challenge: Georgia football 13th in SEC in returning production

2»

Comments

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That's funny. @bogarttad was saying that it doesn't matter what KY, FL, SC or TN have returning, because UGA outclassed them in every recruiting cycle that Kirby Smart has taken part in.

While those teams may appear to have more experience, UGA's backups have been practicing against and backing up players that could have been playing in the NFL last year. Looking at it from that angle...which of those teams really has more experience returning?

Like I was saying...2 dimensional thinking vs. 3 dimensional thinking. That's why this metric doesn't reflect reality.

• CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes, of course, the metric is two dimensional. It's just one data point. But I don't see it as all or nothing -- perfect, or else it must be useless.

Kentucky finished the year ranked 18th, and should've been 15th or 16th. SC and Tennessee were playing better than KY by the end of the season.

As the "returning production" suggests, KY lost its best two defenders but is loaded on returning offense. SC and Tennessee lost very little.

I'm not saying at all that any of these teams will be as good as we'll be. But: a) they may end the season ranked, b) they'll be in a better position to upset us next year, and c) they'll be more capable than the usual nemeses (FL and Auburn) of beating us. Does that make sense to you?

• CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

WHOOPS, I MEANT TO WRITE THIS INSTEAD IN THE LAST PARAGRAPH OF MY PREVIOUS COMMENT:

But: a) they may end the season ranked, b) ) they'll be more capable than the usual nemeses (FL and Auburn) of beating us, and c) assuming one of them doesn't upset us, they'll help our strength of schedule. Does that make sense to you?

• MACDAWGMACDAWG Posts: 255 ✭✭✭ Junior

My advice, revisit this article in December 2022. Post it then Mike!!

I agree...those teams will be more competitive than they have been over the last decade. They are underestimated and undervalued by National and Conference media. But, then again, those media groups are usually a step behind reality. They were last year and the year before that.

I and most others, including you (probably), know what the SEC East is going to be next year. And, NO...UGA does not have the cake walk everybody in the media is projecting in 2022. In fact, Tennessee could very well beat Alabama and/or UGA. But, they won't be dominant in doing it.

UGA and BAMA still outclass all the other teams; however, the gap is narrowing. TEX A&M, LSU, ARK and MISS will surprise some people next year as well. But, at the end of a 2022, 12 game season, UGA and BAMA will remain the 2 standout teams because of the way they recruit and develop players.

When I say, " the way they recruit", I'm talking about more than just talent. It's about a philosophy or discipline. Those two teams recruit talent to a TEAM mindset kinda like Special Forces in the military. Not all talented players fit that mold. In fact some are disruptive to the "team" concept.

For instance...A&M is taking all comers and in the end, the negatives will cancel out some of the positives. We'll just have to wait and see on that one. I haven't done a deep dive on their recruiting class. I have on UGA's. And, I'll tell you this...the Dawgs are very well positioned for a run of Championships. Similar to the 80, 81, 82 & 83 teams...only better, because of a phenomenal coaching staff. In the 70's and early 1980's, UGA had 2 secret weapons that put them in rare air... Erk Russell (DC) and Mike Cavan (recruiter). The end of the road for UGA occurred when Russell left to build a program at Ga. Southern.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Blue chip ratio trumps returning production in CFB. Though having both is a huge advantage.

• bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 275 ✭✭✭ Junior

My point about the returning production is that it must be based on a formula that includes productivity compared to everyone else in the league as opposed to comparing this production returning as a percentage of last year's team. An example might be # of passing yards returning as compared to the other 13 teams in this conference. That way, we are at least talking about genuinely comparative data.

Exactly.

As an example: Aaron Davis is leaving. He was listed as the starter and played about 1/2 of UGA's defensive plays in 2021. Who played the other 1/2 of the plays and are they coming back?

Same with each position.

That's the kind of information that would be useful.