Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Matt Luke releases official statement on stepping down as Georgia football offensive line coach

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited February 2022 in Article commenting
imageMatt Luke releases official statement on stepping down as Georgia football offensive line coach

Georgia football released an official statement regarding the status of Matt Luke.

Read the full story here

Comments

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Connor letting Jeff and BA vacation at the same time?

Brings the big news on us.

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Best of luck in your future Mr. Luke. Thank you, for all that you did to help UGA win another National Championship..GoDAWGS

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is a big loss but I bet resumes are already flooding Kirby’s inbox and that he will chose the best of the best!

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I understand players. Even on a National Championship team, kids want to play and most of UGA players, whether 2nd or 3rd string, can probably find a place to play elsewhere. Even Super Bowl-winning teams have guys up and leave. But I'm surprised by Matt Luke. I thought he was Kirby's sort of coach. I find it hard to believe he was run off. Of course, EVERYBODY claims to do EVERYTHING these days to "spend more time with family," and it's just hard for me to know when that's true and when it's just a line. It's like, they do it and then a year goes by, maybe two, and they hop right back in the coaching game again, usually to a worse situation than the one they left. But sure do wish things would settle down in Athens -- for players and coaches. Let's just get through Spring practice without injuries, get the next wave of transfers done and then get to Sept. 3 with whatever players and coaches are going to ride or die with the red and black. Right now, the only two constants are Stetson Bennett and Kirby Smart. Man, thank God for Jan. 10th. Go Dawgs

• ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 522 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Ok I will say what I want, it happens EVERY year with teams that just won the national championship. Never a better time to leave. If you were an Alabama fan you would not have said this. I know you obviously have not been there but you can try to act like it from here on out by doing some research. Or just take my educated word for it. 😉 And say what you want but UGA is fine and is going to be fine. Have been fine and getting finer since Kirby got there. Chill bro

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hate to see UGA lose coach Luke, who is one of the best men in coaching. A coach you would want your child to play for and be mentored by.

Anybody doubting the why, doesn't know enough about Matt Luke. If coach Luke says he wants to spend more time with his family, nobody should doubt his word. And, what a way to go out, with a National Championship.

Best of luck coach Luke. Sounds like Athens just landed yet another great retired DGD coach...

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So, you walk away from all you've ever known and enjoyed, making bucket loads of money, in your prime of life to spend time with family? I can almost assure you the family doesn't want you around them 24/7. I mean he's only like 42 years old. I guess maybe we'll find out later the real deal.

• DawgSonOfGamecockDawgSonOfGamecock Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

Best of luck Coach Luke and thanks for everything!

For what it's worth, I remember being *very* concerned when Coach Pitman left. But look how things have turned out since. As at least one other commenter on here is fond of saying- in Kirby I trust.

Next Coach up!

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was stunned until I saw he was retiring from football. May be a health issue...or family. Wish him life's best. He is still young. Kirby is on it....you know that. No worries.

The only constant is Kirby and that’s enough! If another QB advances in his development this year and gives the Dawgs the best chance to win, Kirby wouldn’t even blink to give that QB the first team over Stetson anymore than playing true freshman Fromm over Eason to within a play of a national championship. If Fields had taken advantage of his unearned entitlement snaps when he was given them, Kirby would have made that change also.

I live in Alabama and the turnover in the UGA program is nothing compared to Bama’s annual movement among coaches. Kirby has made two great OL coaching hires and when it’s all said and done he will make a third!

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2022

Being a CFBC is an extremely demanding and time consuming job. You are working 24/7/365. Film study, game planning, on field coaching, recruiting , recruiting , recruiting . And your success depends on a bunch of high schoolers and raising their level of competence. Starting all over every year. Not for the faint of heart or family oriented people. Wouldn't surprise me to see him resurface in the NFL next year.

At first, I was surprised, but not after some time to think about it. Even before the portal, working for Kirby required 100% dedication. Now, there’s not only prospect evaluations, position group and team evaluations, coaching, and endless prospect recruiting, coaches have to constantly recruit the players they want to keep on the team as well as evaluating and recruiting the portal. College coaching is a profession that requires being the definition of a workaholic.

I wouldn’t be surprised to read that Coach Luke moves on to the NFL in a year or two. He’s already got millions in the bank.

• JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 355 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Thank you Coach Luke! You have served the UGA football well. I pray your transition away from coaching goes well.

• TenzaiTenzai Posts: 14 ✭✭ Sophomore

How do you know this isn't the real deal? With how much coaches have to work, they don't get to spend much time with their family. He's 45 and made millions already. Maybe he has young kids and wants to be with them more. After all, some people have kids later in their lives instead of in their 20s. If I was in his shoes, I would have been retired after making so much money.

• SCDawgFanSCDawgFan Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm thinking CKS already had a replacement in mind before CML released his statement. We will most likely hear something very soon! Go Dawgs!

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wish Coach Luke and his family the Very Best in life. Thank You Coach Luke for your tremendous contribution to our Dawgs success !! On a very selfish note I wish he’d stay, but I can certainly understand when it comes to family. And I’m very confident that Kirby will find an appropriate replacement. It’s just how things go some times. It’s called Life.