Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Social media reacts to sudden resignation of Georgia offensive line coach Matt Luke

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited February 2022 in Article commenting
imageSocial media reacts to sudden resignation of Georgia offensive line coach Matt Luke

Georgia football is looking for a new offensive line coach in Matt Luke.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2022

Good luck to him. I couldn't imagine the exhaustion that must come from a job where recruiting never ends.

When the story first posted, my gut reaction was "yeah right, nobody really 'steps down'" and "oh god, what did he do to that was so bad he had to 'step down'", but the reality is that while he is still relatively young (45) he DID make about $8M+ in his time coaching (primarily from the 3 years at Miss) and if managed that money well, then that's certainly enough money to retire with and spend time with his family. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes 5 years off and then finds a way to get back to being a coach somewhere less insane.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Manning is just needless drama. We need to stop trying to get these high profile QBs that don't fit what Smart is looking for. We already have Vandagriff and Stockton and don't need to add another 5-star QB till 2024 at least. I'd like to see our current guys be given a chance instead of being yet another guy to transfer.

• natejawsnatejaws Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior

@kirkhilles That might be the dumbest comment I've read on here in quite some time, congratulations! We need all the best players we can recruit. What if Arch is better than those 2 we have now? Don't you want the best players on the team? Would you rather play against the best players? Stockpile talent and play the best.

Just to clarify, I wasn't saying you are dumb, just the comment. I've read well reasoned arguments from you before, this was not one of them.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I feel bad for these guys. Yes, I know the head ball coach and some of the main coordinators make some change. But the underlings don't make that kind of money. And no amount of money is worth missing out on your family's entire life.

I almost wish recruiting just disappeared. Random assignment or a draft or something. I duno... just brainstorming. But I also wish the bloated coaching salaries disappeared also. That's when greed kicked in and things starting going down hill for the sport in general.

I truly hope Luke finds happiness. It can take a sort of courage to walk away from this crazy machine.

• cincydawgcincydawg Posts: 64 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don't know if we'll get Arch Manning, but I never believed it hinged on an OL coach. Having Matt on the staff was a big asset, but Kirby has proven he can hire and UGA is a premier destination so we'll be fine.

I wish the best for Coach ML and his family and I'm thankful for all he did for the program.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks Coach Luke! Happy Trails.

• GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Burnout in coaches, it is a real thing. It is a wonder we haven't seen more health related issues with those that toil the midnight oil and are recruiting year round. I wish the best for coach ML and his family and appreciate his good work with the dawgs.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Coach Matt brought toughness and character to the UGA OL. He has the ring to prove it. Burnout is not uncommon anong assistant coaches. It is not the money...it is the family that counts. I wish him the best life can offer. God bless him.

• BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It is important to note that Coach Luke and his family will be residing in Athens. He'll be a regular on campus and a quality addition to the Athens community.

• MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I have made the same point several times about the QB room. I don't think we need a five star every year, it muddies the water to much in the QB room. If it's obvious a guy is a bust, different story. You have to give them time to develop, and SB has proven if you build a great team around your QB their play doesn't have to be spectacular.

• Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Why are we worried about the status of the Manning kid (who's arguable extremely overrated and playing against horrible competition in highschool)? We have a offensive line to field NEXT YEAR behind our national championship winning QB1 - Stetson Bennett IV.

• Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

You clearly haven't watched the kids tape and are just basing your opinion off what you've read here. His name is being recruited not his talent. He's not that good and is playing against what virtually amounts to middle school teams in some counties here in Georgia. He's overrated.

• vannvann Posts: 108 ✭✭✭ Junior

Best of luck coach.