Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football losses second commitment this week, as 4-star wide receiver backs off pledge

2»

Comments

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Call it like you see it? LMAO..now, dang if that ain't a hoot. LOL

You must not have watched the end of the game. That's when great players shine and Bennett shined. So did Mitchell. Not, Burton, but, Mitchell. So, why don't you really tell it like it is...Bennett threw 2 TD's to win it and Young threw a pick 6 to lose it. And, Bennett did it with an injured hand.

And, before you point out UGA's great defense...BAMA had a pretty darned good defense, too. UGA played against some very good defenses throughout the season.

That's what really happened. Bennett has worked his tail off to become the 5 star guy he wasn't when he graduated high school. He wasn't ready to be "the guy" in '17, '18, '19 or '20. Now, after all the work put in and knowing what it takes to compete at the highest level...he succeeded in making himself "the guy". Leader of an offense that produced 39 points per game with injuries all over the field.

Your assessment of Bennett is about 5 years old. He's not the player today that he was out of high school or even last year. Like I've said before, great players don't let grass grow under their feet...they work everyday to improve.

• Options
    Falcon1103Falcon1103 Posts: 9 ✭ Freshman

Ooh I seen the truth hurts! Everyone wants to talk about the two big throws but what about Bennett's mistake that led to Alabama's only TD. Yes Alabama had a good defense but it wasn't a Georgia defense that were animals all game long. And most of those guys are headed to the NFL top get PAID. And if I was turning 25 years old as a quarterback then I should be playing like a 5 star. If you had of swapped Young for Bennett in the championship game then the score would have been worse. So enjoy Bennett for one more year and he'll never be heard from on Sundays. And after this year Georgia will definitely pull in an abundance of good receivers. And please leave Burton alone and let's make a bet on who plays on Sunday between him and Bennett because it the end of the day that's what's it's about.

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 2022

Please tell me you didn't compare Bennett and Belue with Fran Tarkenton, an NFL Hall of Fame quarterback and Matthew Stafford, the number one pick in the NFL (for good reason). Eric Zeier was among the best as every game he played the other team knew he was going to throw and played only to stop the pass but he did it anyway and was successful. And Murray? Possibly the best and definitely the most clutch quarterback we have ever had. I choose him first every time.

Bennett and Belue got it done with the team around them (you may have heard of a guy named Herschel Walker) but you must be joking if you would actually choose either of those two over the greats you just dissed.

• Options

Did you miss the fact, his hand was injured. "The Truth"...means the whole truth. Let's try to focus on that.

Oh yeah...and he won the National Championship.

You sir, are a poser. You are not a Dawg fan. But, I could care less. UGA's ship won the National Championship and Stetson Bennett was at the wheel. That fact will be true 100 years from now. LOL

• Options

We don't know what Bennett will be. He's not a finished project...just like Doug Flutie wasn't a finished project when he led Boston College to victory over Miami in 1984. He was iconic, but, wasn't an NFL prototype QB, so he wasn't expected to go high in the draft and wound up going the Hershell Walker route. He went to the USFL before a short stint in the NFL, then took the CFL by storm. He became the NFL "Comeback Player of the Year" in 1998 when he took Buffalo to the playoffs. Not bad for a little guy, huh.

And, please don't say, "yeah, but, he was a Heisman Winner"...we all know what that's worth. Walker should have won it in 1980, but, that award is media controlled and Walker was a black Freshman. College had just recently allowed freshmen to start, so, politics wouldn't allow it. And, make no mistake...the Heisman is political. If the media had been behind Bennett (or pick-a-player), he would have won the Heisman.

Some people allow media hype to lead them by the nose. LOL. You can take 2 QB's with identical stats. Put all the hype and media behind one of them and that's the guy that's going to get the trophy. It's really kinda funny and sad at the same time.

• Options

It's a shame you and I don't know each other. I would most definitely put some money behind my words. Maybe we can figure out how to meet up.

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm pretty sure my comment was in regards to the comparison amongst University of Georgia quarterbacks and not a Heisman discussion (which I didn't even mention) and certainly not Doug Flutie.

Why is it you people take every comment about Bennett as a slam against him? My comment didn't do that at all. What it did was point out the ridiculousness in assessing Bennett as better than Tarkenton, Stafford, Zeier and Murray. If you had read and understood my comment you would see that, while I respect all of these players, even with their accomplishments, including Tarkenton's Pro Football Hall of Fame and Stafford's pro career, I'd still choose first IN COLLEGE Murray every time. I found it ludicrous to say anyone would choose Bennett and Belue over those players. I'd throw in numerous others above those 2, including David Greene, who also never won a NC.

Bennett and Belue won because of their TEAM. They were, of course key but Belue won because of Walker, Bennett because of the defense.

And if you believe that Herschel Walker's or non-Heisman winning Fran Tarkenton's and Matthew Stafford's obvious skills were only due to media and political hype, you do not understand football and I cannot change that.

• Options

LOL...If you want to put it in that light...yeah, I'd take Tark or Murray over almost every QB playing today, including Bryce Young. Even though Murray failed to score on 1st and goal with several seconds left in the game, in 2012 vs BAMA in the SECC, I didn't see that loss as his fault. You could put that on the RT/TE, an inexperienced Conley catching the ball in bounds or Richt/Bobo for not calling Time Out. In any case, you're right about those 2 guys, but, you left out Mike Bobo and Eric (Air-Zeier) Zeier.

• Options

And, though you won't ever hear a whole lot about it, cause UGA wasn't in "the hunt" at the time and ESPN didn't exist, Ray Goff was a pretty darn good QB himself. My Dad took me to see Glynn Academy play Moultrie in the State Playoffs when I was about 12, the year before Goff went to UGA, and I'm here to tell you, he was phenomenal. He had a helluvan arm and ran over practically everybody on the field. He looked like a man among boys. He did not disappoint at UGA, but, they were running out of the veer and used him in a 2 QB system that a lot of people disagreed with.

LOL. Dooley's lucky that Twitter, Facebook and the internet didn't exist back then. People today are ruthless and ignorant. That's a vicious combination. LOL