Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia makes bold hire official, takes basketball coach Mike White from rival Florida Gators

SystemSystem Posts: 10,478 admin
edited March 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia makes bold hire official, takes basketball coach Mike White from rival Florida Gators

ATHENS —The University of Georgia confirmed the hiring of former Florida basketball coach Mike White on Sunday night, per an athletic board executive committee teleconference.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hate this hire. I can’t believe the obsession with hiring someone who has “head coaching” experience. He barely had a winning record this year and inherited a very good program. I challenge you guys to name one Hall of Fame coach who didn’t start as an assistant. Good grief…..here we go again.

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 187 ✭✭✭ Junior

So, who would you hire BubbaBill?

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 187 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited March 2022

Now, BubbaBill, keep in mind that you're hiring someone to come in the SEC and compete with John Calipari, Bruce Pearl & Rick Barnes; all established and experienced big time program, tournament tough, well respected coaches.

Who in your mind or which current assistant has the mental toughness and coaching ability to compete against this type of competition?

Keep in mind that Mike White beat an Auburn team this year that went 27 & 5.

Who would you select as UGA's next basketball coach?

• Options

DazzleDawg,

UGA was one hideous call away from also upsetting Auburn. My concern is the program at Florida was heading in the wrong direction and I’ve read several articles before today that Mike White was having HUGE issues with both the Gator fans and the administration….he was incredibly unpopular. Stay tuned and we can discuss this again in 3-4 years. One of us is going to be very right and the other very wrong. Personally, I hope YOU are the winner of this bet. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options

Jonas Hayes…….don’t forget, Calipari, Barnes and Pearl were also assistants before becoming head coaches. None of those 3 coaches has recruited Georgia better over the past few seasons than Hayes at Xavier. They have 4 blue chippers from our state. Hayes is a very good coach and an amazing recruiter. Our luck is Florida will hire Hayes and we will look like fools. Oh well.

• Options
    natejawsnatejaws Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited March 2022

I stand corrected. It can get worse. Also, I didn't accept Brooks to take the challenge. I will just keep my mouth shut moving forward (please don't screwup Kirby's contract)

• Options
    georgiajeepn2019georgiajeepn2019 Posts: 324 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great hire. A 19-13 record at UGA would be hailed as the start of a dynasty!

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

i'm indifferent to this move. we'll see how it goes.

• Options
    brvhrtbrvhrt Posts: 324 ✭✭✭ Junior

You're saying that he had a down year but "inherited a very good program"...which suggests that this was his first year. I won't rehash it, but you do realize that he has had some really good seasons down there, right?

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Look, been watching UGA Basketball for decades. The game has changed, the players come and go so fast, seems like UGA has steadily gotten worse with only a few flashes here and there. Tubby was great. Won a miracle SEC Championship under Felton. We won't go back to Hugh Durham days, which were pretty good some years, like winning the SEC when LSU had Shaq and Chris Jackson!(name later changed to Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf )Been too many years of inconsistent, mostly down or .500 ball. Crean had a tough luck last season and I hate it with his best returning players transferring out or getting hurt. I really would have liked to see what kind of team he pieced together after the departures and how they played 2nd half of the season. But now here we are and we will never know. Yeah facilities are lagging. I am thinking that will start to change thanks to UGA football success. But got to win some too, regardless. Got to recruit! Got to do MUCH better in state! Got to get the best out of players and be a great coach. Is this guy going to do better? Nobody knows. Does not seem like a bad hire. Hayes or Smith? Smith is the safe hire for sure, but Hayes could have ingredients that have been missing. Recruiting being top of the list of course. Then the UGA ties. the passion and heart and effort for the school. Everything but proven as a coach. Tough call for me. Safe call for Brooks. Maybe Brooks is right. Maybe he is just playing it safe. Maybe Hayes gets that experience and is UGA coach in 5 years. Maybe he gets experience and does so good, UGA is too late. Maybe he is more of an assistant than a HC in the end. Time will tell. But like you all, it sure is time to have a winner running the team. Like a Pearl or Pitino. A winner. White best we could get with experience, I get that. But to get a real winner at UGA, might have to take a risk on an inexperienced up-and-comer that just has that it factor. Does Hayes? I don't know. Hopefully Brooks found out the answer to that question before he hired White...