Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart knows something is missing in Georgia football inside linebacker room

SystemSystem Posts: 7,421 admin
edited March 2022 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart knows something is missing in Georgia football inside linebacker room

Georgia football has seen a number of changes at the inside linebacker position this offseason.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

With Coach Schumann coaching these young men, we should have confidence that the LB room will be a strength this fall.

His past successes are exemplary — Roquan, Monty, Nakobe, Channing, Quay and more—and all of these young men prove that our recruitment and development of players is sustainable.

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The point of the story is dead-on. Talent's not the problem...coaching's not an issue..."experience" is the stone in UGA's defensive shoe. There is no substitute for experience and, unfortunately, the Dawgs defensive will be tested in their very first game...vs. Oregon. Against their former DC. This is definitely going to be a challenge.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just asking a question. Not a statement. Is there a experienced inside LB ( or two) in the transfer portal that Smart could go after to help with player leadership ?? Someone ( possibly plural) that these young guys could/would respect as a leader ?? Just curious. I don’t know if we should go that route if there’s even anyone available. Thoughts ??

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This time last year all the Dawgs had at linebacker was “upside” as none made any of the AP. preseason all American teams. That 2021 group tuned out to be arguably the best in the country. This 2022 group will be as good or better!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't know the answer to your question off the top of my head @navydawg. Perhaps there is a stellar linebacker in the portal -- or perhaps will be after everyone finishes Spring practice. But in my opinion, I think the leadership aspect would be difficult for someone new coming in, no matter how talented. The guys that are here now just played behind some of the best to ever do it at Georgia, guys who were instrumental in winning a National Championship, guys who played so well that these backups, though talented in their own right, didn't see the field much. So, to me, it would be hard for some guy to walk in brand new and not only learn UGA's system, but also instantly have enough cache to influence these guys. I honestly think that once the season begins, the guys we have now will rise to the occasion and so will their leadership qualities. Kirby has this "concern" every year about one aspect of the team or the other. And it usually works out. I'm not worried at all. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

My 2 cents, from years of watching, is that it usually takes at LEAST a full season of starting or significant playing time at LB before a guy is comfortable with everything and is just reacting instead of a lot of thinking. Maybe these LB's will be different and they will not have to think that much and can just react correctly because of all they have learned in practice. But if not and they need a good season to come into their own, well hopefully they will play good as a group on defense and the coaching and scheme will help cover any weaknesses, anywhere. That is what good coaching does do to help. Schemes not just for the opposing offense, but also schemes to cover its own weaknesses. Between that and hopefully a stronger offense that can move the chains and score a little(or a lot) more, it will workout. Maybe we will all be surprised by 1 or 2 of the new starters or a young guy that is not just good, but just knows what to do so he rarely puts somebody else or the whole defense in a bad spot. As far as bringing in a veteran transfer, we are already way over the roster limit for what we can have come summer. But it could happen. If the right guy were available, I suppose its still very possible. Maybe even just for depth purposes in case somebody goes down, especially a starter. So yeah, I could really see that happening.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great comments guys !! Thank you !! So what it boils down to is Coaching up the raw talent these guys have been touted to have. I think we can rely on the recruiting measurements that were used to offer these guys and we Know that Coaching at UGA is Very solid better yet Elite !! So after reading y’all’s comments coupled with my own thinking I’m much more comfortable with the prospects going forward. Game 1will tell us allot about this Dawgs team. Thanks again guys !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That may be the way it used to be, but, not so much anymore. These high school kids are going to camps sponsored by colleges such as UGA often and early, as in, before they are even Freshmen in high school. They enter their 1st year of college far more physically and mentally prepared, because of their early exposure to expectations.

Coaches, such as Smart, Saban, etal., have come up with creative ways to get them prepared for their eventual procession to "starter". One of those ways, is the so-called "scout team". Scout Team doesn't have the same connotations it once had. Another is substitutions and follow-up critique with focused work. There is plenty of preparation going on between Jan and Aug that is both player-led and Coach facilitated.

A new starter today, is not the same as a new starter 10, 20, 30, 40 years ago. Coaches have gotten a lot better at getting the most out of their talent, since the NFL has been allowed to rob-the-cradle at the 3 yr mark.