Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia coach Kirby Smart challenges Stetson Bennett to grow as leader, develop at quarterback

SystemSystem Posts: 7,421 admin
edited March 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia coach Kirby Smart challenges Stetson Bennett to grow as leader, develop at quarterback

ATHENS _- Kirby Smart sets the bar high at quarterback, to the extent the Georgia head coach still considers Stetson Bennett a work in progress.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is one of the many reasons Why Kirby Smart has progressed to the level of Elite Head Coach. And Kirby to will only continue to get better. Reading this article ( Well done Mike !!) gives an even better explanation of what Stetson Did accomplish being such a monumental thing !! I mean reps with the threes at first if at all !! YES he did make some very poor and as Kirby said bone headed mistakes at times, But when you look at his whole body of work, And you factor in the amount of Quality preparation he was given I think even the most die hard Stetson critic would be compelled to give him at least a little love. That said there Is plenty of room for Stets to get even better. I think Stets is fully aware of that and will rise to the challenge. Stetson seems to thrive on being challenged !! I look for an Even Better version of Stetson this year which will make this Dawgs Offense even more dangerous !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I kind of noted a negative tone to this article on Stetson. Maybe not. Stetson I guess had a frank discussion with Kirby before he returned to UGA this season. The tone of this article tells me Kirby has some measurables of his own for Bennett as well: "Boneheaded mistakes," and trying to provoke a sense of leadership from him. He will get most #1 reps...so that is fact.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UGA66 I agree-- Kirby's words were pointed and there was obviously a message there

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stetson has certainly achieved legendary status in Bulldog lore. His story, his season, all a Hollywood script. That was last year. As the coaches move forward with their new team, the players that give us the "best chance to win," will be on the field. There are always surprises, both good and bad, making this sport all the more compelling. Stetson will be qb1 going in to fall camp. Long way to go until opening day. HBTFD!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As I've said, just give Vandagriff, maybe Beck and maybe Stockton a chance to play and then choose whomever is the best fit.

• Options
    doubledawg1990doubledawg1990 Posts: 108 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Underneath all this, two points:

(1) "going to class???" Seriously? He's 24 years old and is having trouble getting to class? What's that about?

(2) But, as for football, there is a consideration underneath the coming QB battle that's more subtle but not insignificant. Todd Monken's offense (w/those renowned Air Raid principles) has to change to fit Bennett, as it did last year. This was a choice KS made and was key to the decision to stick w/Bennett over Daniels - the offense was simply not the same and once committed to the running game, heavy play-action, a running QB, and a generational defense, KS stuck with it and JT left. That's that story, fine. Now, on to 2022, the other three QBs in the room can fit w/in a pro-style offense; Bennett does not. So the competition will be interesting. Maybe we got a peek with Carson Beck doing the throwing during ProDay. He's got a gun. So do the other two. For all the cover given to The Mailman on that subject, he simply does not.

Not a criticism of anybody (other than maybe KS but that's a dead horse not worth kicking), simply an intriguing question about the future of UGA football and when, if ever, it will enter the modern era offensively. Should make for a lot of good DawgNation conversation.

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 387 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I honestly think fans read to much into these statements. The first time Kirby puts in Beck or Vandagriff, they will wag their fingers and say I told you so. What's obvious, Stetson's a lot better than people give him credit for. He's also a proven winner - having overcome to win. Matt Ryan can't say that - with all of his abilities. He just couldn't overcome to win. Beck and Vandagriff will get there as well. They may get significant snaps this year, both are really good. But can they make the right throws when it counts. For all the heisman hype, Bryce Young didn't and he lost.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“simply an intriguing question about the future of UGA football and when, if ever, it will enter the modern era offensively”

IDK, I kinda prefer entering the “just won a national championship with good prospects to repeat” era… 😉

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Actually, I feel @MikeGriffith has been relatively even handed concerning Stetson in recent weeks. I think Stetson is a great college quarterback, for so many reasons, but, honestly, he has numerous areas in which he can (and hopefully will) improve. I don’t see Bennett ever being “a gun slinger”, but that is only one aspect that can contribute to being a great quarterback.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My remarks involved this article only. Just my gut on this one. Mike said in one interview he is not a fan of UGA but of all SEC teams. Mike and i get on well. He tries to be objective. Stetson is Stetson.....he is leading the Dawgs...ok with me.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If the Dawgs can get anywhere close to elite QB play this year, they will be unstoppable! Bennett definitely has work to do to enter that realm. It sounds like the door is at least a little ajar should Beck or Vandegriff get to that level sooner than Stet.