Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia scrimmage report: Stetson Bennett holding starting job, Dominick Blaylock breaks out

SystemSystem Posts: 10,658 admin
edited April 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia scrimmage report: Stetson Bennett holding starting job, Dominick Blaylock breaks out

ATHENS — Georgia quarterback Stetson Bennett is holding his place as the Bulldogs’ No. 1 option under center with two weeks remaining in the spring football session.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This was sketchy...I need more info to make any observations. All did well but made mistakes. Waiting for G-Day.

• Options

@MikeGriffith ...Come on man. You're getting a little transparent with the way you bend over backwards to throw shade on Bennett. What did he do, dis' you in an interview or on the practice field? It's getting harder and harder to take any reporting you do, involving Bennett, seriously.

One thing I question is your "reporting", if you want to call it that, on his age. Kirby said he's 23/24, meaning, he turns 24 in October; however, you continue to report that he's 24.

If he IS 24, that means he turned 19 in October of his Senior year of high school. As is the case with most High School Seniors,, I turned 17 in August of my Senior year. How is it possible that he played his Senior year of HS in Ga. at the ripe age of 19? My Brother was ruled ineligible in his Senior year by the GHSA because of his age. Why wasn't Bennett?

It's hard to believe anything else you report concerning Stetson Bennett...so I have to ask:

WHAT IS THE REAL STORY WITH HIS AGE???

• Options

@MikeGriffith ...BTW, I saw your interview on The Paul Finebaum Show. It was a darn good overall assessment, so, I know you have it in you.

I thought it was excellent and dead-on, especially with regard to Jimbo Fisher and Texas A&M and Fisher's tenure with FLA ST.. I too think that Fisher benefited from Bowden's recruiting and sway. And now, he's benefitting from a bottomless pit of Oil Money Alumni. He should have brought more success with far more than most coaches have, by now. If not for NIL and the new College Football Free Agency policy...where would he be exactly? LOL. He's got a wealth of talent, now....let's see what he can do with it.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Spring is spring. Summer is summer and the season is when the rubber meets the road. Sounds like the gap has closed significantly between experienced SBIV and the inexperienced other QB's. An arm that can utilize the entire field and stretch the D has some benefit too. I can see SBIV starting vs OR but after that game you may see a changing of the guard (and QB). Would absolutely love to see DBlaylock have an injury free season.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 533 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

When you posted a couple times on this, had you been drinking? Don't like Mike telling it like it is on the starting QB that has multiple heat on him wanting to take his job? With attributes that he does not possess and could potentially take it? He is just reporting on what's going on. Good, bad and ****. How Stetson plays, matters most and that will get the most scrutiny and media coverage. And it is his job to lose. Other 2 guys split media coverage

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wish they didn't have to tackle during these scrimmages. I'm scared to death that someone we really need in the fall is going to get a season-ending injury in a meaningless scrimmage. The news about Blaylock, however, is encouraging. As for Mitchell, I'm just going to chalk that up to just having one (hopefully) bad day. All will be forgotten if he bounces back next week and at the G-Day Game.

• Options

My 2 posts were completely unrelated, if you bothered to "read". If you're going to remark on them at least be relevant, please.

Forget all that QB performance and potential....It's Spring and half the starters aren't there or are limited. They're working on specific areas of individual weakness. Means nothing, as far as team execution. Last week, Smart said the same crap I heard Dooley and Russell say during the Spring. It should be appropriately weighted be people that should know better.

I think Smart felt boxed in by touting Daniels as the "clear starter", last year and taking him to media days. It made replacing him more difficult when it became necessary. I believe he's determined not to make that mistake again, because it became an unwarranted distraction throughout the season.

AGAIN...What about the age thing. 24? Really? Played his Senior year of High School at 19? Would he have even been eligible under GHSA rules? I won't believe it, till I hear it from him. Smart said, 'he was 23/24'. Meaning 23 going on 24 (Oct 2022). Mike insists he was 24 going on 25. Maybe, but, it doesn't add up. That's all I'm saying.

• Options
    dogs_n_bravesdogs_n_braves Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

Well, because nobody asked, MG is the only UGA sportswriter that continues to view SBIV as less than a deity . . . just as he was before he took over the starting role last year. The truth of the matter is that, yes, he was the QB on the field and even the offensive MVP for a national championship - but, I fully believe that with 8 games' experience, Beck or Brock would also have won that game (and lost none along the way). This year, SBIV has been given the mantle as starter but now has the burden of keeping it. It seems that, unless he improves dramatically, the others may overtake him as the best option . . . his experience will not compensate for their relative inexperience.

It seems that, from the very few comments he's made, that CKS may believe that SBIV should have finished his career as the hero. He had his (ala Nacho Libre) Glory Day in the Sun. He will honor those efforts by giving him his shot this year, but I also think that CKS knows that his days of pulling the top QB recruits may be over if the 14 stars on the bench stay on the bench.

So, I predict that SBIV starts the first four games, but by Auburn, Beck is the starter. Unfortunately, I think Brock transfers after the Spring Game. Ultimately, Beck finishes the year and starts next year. Gunner takes the ball after that. I also see another national championship in that time frame - probably next year.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2022

I agree with the comments below that MG continues to get his “digs” on SB. Hopefully before next season MG will be able to mention Stetson’s name without Kirby’s comment regarding SB making good decisions. If it hadn’t been for a few of those bonehead decisions then Bennett would have been a few positions higher in the national QB ratings which would make him #1. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    EastmandawgEastmandawg Posts: 145 ✭✭✭ Junior

It is obvious he has taken all of this personal, he just wants to be right........and I am sure he will keep reminding his readers about Bennett up until he is gone & not in the picture with his little "digs".

The only other reason I can think of for his continuous bashing, is he just wants the clicks/attention.....neither is good. I'd be good if he just reported on another team, he's become obsessed with the QB's.....and it want go away!

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dogs_n_braves ”It seems that, from the very few comments he's made, that CKS may believe that SBIV should have finished his career as the hero”

What?!? 🤣

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

IF? And if I was 6'6" with a 48" vertical jump I might be able to play basketball like Michael Jordan. That's (one of) the continuing problem(s) w/SBIV. With all his experience he still throws the ball up for grabs and does his 1 read scramble right routine. He consistently makes bonehead plays in the biggest games. He did it in all 4 AL games he's played. 3 were loses and 1 he had luck and his teammates to bail him out. If you don't see it you aren't watching objectively.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I guess that’s why the Experts named SB the MVP in BOTH playoff games. BTW…..he played light years better than Justin Fields against the same Bama team in 2020. Fields lost by 11 points more than SB did so I guess he is a “bonehead” too. I wonder how many screw-ups JT would have had in those same games. My gut feeling is the mistakes would have been numerous……almost matching the non-stop sacks that would have certainly occurred. My gut also says that JT could not have survived those games due to injuries. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2022

@BigDawg61 Stetson is 24 and will turn 25 this fall.

Kirby has talked about him needing to not make "boneheaded" decisions on the field and challenged him off the field.

There's no shade, just reality. I get paid the same no matter who starts at QB, but I sleep better at night telling the truth and proving honest takes.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith...I haven't made any comments in at least a couple of months, but I have to agree with you on your Bennett assessment/reality.

I said this long ago....Stet is a good to maybe above average QB, but he is highly inconsistent and certainly not elite. Yes, he did enough on offense to help win a NC for the Dawgs, but the defense was the real star against Bama in the NC game and the reason we won the game....not the offense.

I believe Stet has reached his full potential at 24 going on 25 years old. He isn't going to stop making bad decisions and "bonehead" throws. I will cross my fingers and let Kirby be the on-field judge, and believe he will make the right call concerning the starting QB.

• Options
    SnakeScott13SnakeScott13 Posts: 97 ✭✭✭ Junior

Thanks for clearing that up Mike . I can sleep better now.🙄

• Options
    EastmandawgEastmandawg Posts: 145 ✭✭✭ Junior

You get paid on readership. What you write, is sensationalism, embellishments & opinions for the most part…..especially when it comes to Stetson Bennett.

Good thing you weren’t around when Buck Belue was at UGA….all those 2 have done is win, that is what counts.

Stop with all the “digs”, it gets old-sounds very personal/petty and unprofessional on your part.