Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

NATIONLA PECAN DAY / NATIONAL REACH AS HIGH AS YOU CAN DAY

donniemdonniem Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

ta - may -toe or ta - mah -toe ? Pee-can or Pee-khan ? However you prefer to say it, the pecan is a mighty tasty nut.

NATIONAL PECAN DAY

Each year, National Pecan Day on April 14th celebrates one nut native to the United States. It’s also a favorite snack and ingredient across the country. 

A member of the hickory family, the pecan is native to central and southern United States. “Pecan” is an Algonquian word, meaning a nut requiring a stone to crack. They are an excellent source of copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, zinc, and vitamin E. Pecans can help reduce LDL cholesterol and increase HDL cholesterol levels in the blood. They are also rich in dietary fiber.

Pecans make great snacks all on their own, but they also make terrific garnishes for other foods such as desserts, salads, or the main meal. Sweet or savory, pecans can add a little glamor to a dish or be the star of the show.

HOW TO OBSERVE #NationalPecanDay

• Enjoy your favorite pecan recipes. There are so many to choose from so we have a couple of delicious recipes for you to try.
  • Snack on roasted pecans or you can make baked goods such as pies or cookies.
  • Top your salad with pecans.

How they omitted a recipe for pecan pie is beyond me. I for, one, love pecan pie.

Here's a great idea for many of us:

NATIONAL REACH AS HIGH AS YOU CAN DAY

National Reach as High as You Can Day on April 14th encourages us to evaluate our goals and do our best to reach them. 

We can define “reach” in many ways. Search Guinness World Records for highest reach and Guinness gives us 322 results. We can reach for our dreams or our goals. Reach for the stars or the sky. We can even reach for the balloon floating away from us much like the one that carried the Wizard of Oz away from Dorothy.

Of course, records can be set for the oldest or the youngest to reach a particular location, age, height or status. 

While this day may not be about setting records, it is certainly about reaching high; higher than we think we can. We often become complacent. National Reach as High as You Can Day is just a reminder on the calendar not to let your dreams go adrift. Reach for them. Reach as high as you can!

HOW TO OBSERVE #ReachAsHighAsYouCanDay

• Share your goals.
  • Create new goals.
  • Encourage others to reach for their goals.

Do you have any goals you are pursuing at the present moment? I am attempting, at my age, to learn to play the violin. I might be the oldest beginning violin student in FL. My ultimate goal is to learn to play western swing type music on the fiddle and/or some jazz tunes like Sweet Georgia Brown.