Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Arik Gilbert proves popular Red Zone target in G-Day Game, Kirby Smart impressed

SystemSystem Posts: 10,570 admin
edited April 2022 in Article commenting
imageArik Gilbert proves popular Red Zone target in G-Day Game, Kirby Smart impressed

ATHENS — Georgia football fans have waited a long time to see Arik Gilbert in red and black, and the LSU transfer did not disappoint.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m looking forward to seeing our 3 TE sets with Arik, Brock and Darnell all in the game at the same time. Yikes!!!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Overall a fun game to watch and I really appreciate Smart going with an strong passing game instead of just cautiously running up the middle. I feel like after this there is less QB drama as there was no standout like JT did in previous years. Bennett did fine and certainly no one worries about him. Beck did a wonderful job and clearly has made big strides compared with last year. He looks ready to start and clearly deserves some playing time even if he doesn't start.

Vandagriff. I'm not going to say the words "I'm disappointed", but while it's understandable for him to get sacked and such against the #1 defense its NOT understandable for him to miss a number of throws by a large margin. I'm reminded of how I felt after watching Eason play his Sophomore G Day game and thinking "Oh. He's clearly not ready yet." Vandagriff is not ready to start yet. Period. Maybe by mid-season, but not now.

I'll be re-watching the game likely several times over the upcoming months, but my gut reaction was that there was a combination of behind-the-back throws as well as what seemed like a lot of dropped passes. Gilbert definitely seemed to do a fantastic job, so that was very exciting.

Maybe it was because of the rain, but I was a little disappointed that it wasn't a sellout crowd. Certainly a good showing, but not jaw dropping.

Either way, lots to look forward to this season.

• Options
    2statedawg2statedawg Posts: 21 ✭ Freshman

All in all not too bad considering how many players were out and the format of the game.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2022

SO great seeing Gilbert back on the field, smiling, and enjoying himself. That might be the highlight of the day for me. Oscar Delp a pleasant surprise! And looks like we're going to have a TE battle brewing this Summer/Fall...Good seeing Blaylock producing as well.

My biggest goal today was to get out of this game with zero serious injuries....and I think we did.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I definitely wouldn't want to be an opposing DC, or opposing defensive player with those 3 on the field together. No way you could scheme to stop all 3, plus having to tackle a moving target that big, all game.. No thanks lol

• Options
    budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited April 2022

Not to this article, but for Connors.

Have it recorded to watch Sat evening. But with the videos that Connor had posted on his story with 2 td's to Gilbert and the one to Milton, let me say this. Watching them on a phone is kind of compressed. But, the one across the middle to Gilbert, was thrown into what looked like pretty tight double coverage. Maybe a mismatch against other teams also, but not a good decision. 2nd one to Gilbert, he held the ball over 4 seconds, not sure that happens against a lot of teams. The one to Milton, he looked very fluid on it. Right up the seam, lead the rb, so he could catch it in full stride. Great throw. And Connor mentioning that the spring games are geared to the offense. Really? Saying defense needs help, and the 1st team only scores 26. I know the offense is kinda vanilla, but...... Also, calling the secondary depth and talent an issue, when holding qb's to 47% completion percentage, not a good idea. Connor, stop blocking comments. If you don't like negative comments, don't make bad statements. 😂🤣

The throw by Beck to Meeks, was a dime. Very similar to the Bennett to AD throw. Almost the same distance. Spooky. Is that a Monken go to play?

GO DAWGS!!!!!

Edit: After watching the first drive, on a TV, the double coverage on Gilbert's 1st td, wasn't as tight. Nice throw to Seither in the corner, should of probably been caught, and a nice throw on the wheel route. Will have to watch the rest later.

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It makes Burton's transfer a little easier to swallow. With the receivers and tight ends we have, Burton will definitely get more targets with the Tide. The Offense is going to be fun to watch. I predict the defense, although younger, will pick right back up where it left off, dominating the line of scrimmage. Gonna be a great year.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

……and when you have all 3 of those TEs in the game imagine the options other than passing. Those big guys can also steamroll folks on run plays.