Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Junkyard Mail: Dawgs fans excited by tight ends, divided over QBs

SystemSystem Posts: 7,418 admin
edited April 2022 in Article commenting
imageJunkyard Mail: Dawgs fans excited by tight ends, divided over QBs

The week after G-Day usually finds a mix of excitement and concern in Bulldog Nation.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Your columns are always good, Bill.

Yesterday I watched two of our playoff games. First was the aerial view National Championship game, Then the Orange Bowl as called by home folks. Boy, was that fun. Georgia and Alabama are in another league from Michigan.

The version of Stetson Bennett we saw in the G-Day game looked unlike the quarterback who surfaced following the "fumble" late in the National Championship game. The man has huge upside which was also on display throughout the Orange Bowl.

Probably most of us are good with what Kirby's accomplished so far. Most rabid fans just wanted him to make us competitive particularly against teams wearing that ügly orange. He's exceeded expectations and created new ones. How many teams could realistically put four capable tight ends on the field at one time? How many can still be contenders after five star players transfer?

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2022

Thanks Bill for another entertaining article. You mentioned having plays with 4 TEs on the field. A good play off that formation (when the opponent is expecting a pass) would be to get the ball to that lone RB and let him run behind Darnell, Arik, Brock, etc. I’d pity the poor DBs on that side of the field. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2022

Great article, thanks!

In terms of QB, my guess is that we'd all agree to the fact that Bennett needs to start --BUT-- Beck has proven himself to earn some serious playing time and have it re-evaluated week to week. The one thing that really drove me nuts last year was when we'd be up by 40+ points and Bennett is still running the game himself. Take him out as not only do others need work but keeping your starter out there in a blowout is really ill-advised. I mean, if he were to get injured in a blow-out...

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great article Bill, I always appreciate your unique views on the bulldogs! I am with you in thinking that we absolutely need to see the 4 TEs in the red zone at the same time. Especially with the possiblity of Stetson having balls batted down at the line, it would be beneficial for him to throw the ball higher than usual to hit one of our tall TEs reaching up in the back of the endzone. I can already see the highlights of some great plays in the making. I also like the suggestion one of the posters gave, about giving the ball to the lone RB and letting him run behind a group of TEs. That also, would work well in the end zone and short yardage!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirk,

I wonder if part of the issue was preserving a year of eligibility for both Brock and Carson. I agree it would have been great to get them more “game experience”, but both guys have 4 years of eligibility remaining since neither played in more than 5 games. Also, Beck got a freebie for 2020 thanks to the NCAA not counting that season against a player’s eligibility. Go Dawgs!!!