Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Oddsmaker: Kendall Milton opens with best Heisman odds among Georgia football players

SystemSystem Posts: 7,422 admin
edited April 2022 in Article commenting
imageOddsmaker: Kendall Milton opens with best Heisman odds among Georgia football players

Georgia hasn’t produced a Heisman Trophy winner since Herschel Walker won the award in 1982, and recent odds suggest the drought could continue another year.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A strange choice. We're not even sure Milton will be the number1 back but whatever, how could you leave out Bowers?

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Crazy that Brock is rated higher than Carson. Based on the G-Day game it looked like Carson will be our #2 QB. Too bad Bennett doesn’t have much of a chance, but as long as he keeps winning National Championships we will all be happy. BTW……how did the last Heisman winner do in the big game? Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wow, crazy odds especially given we are returning National Champs and 3 weaker SEC team QBs in the Top 4.

Then for us, Milton at 10:1 who just had 264 yards and clearly has potential, but... Bowers is pretty far down at 15:1. What about Gilbert? If I bet on sports, I'd certainly take whatever crazy odds he has.

Then, the 3 QBs:

• Bennett at 20:1. The clear starter, 6th+ year QB (not even close to being called a "kid") who was the Offensive MVP for the NC game
    • Vandagriff at 20:1. Maybe the odds are pre-Spring but Vandagriff is clearly 3rd string at this point and not ready to start.
    • Beck at 30:1. If this is post-Spring, then that's just laughable. Beck has an excellent chance of taking over for Bennett.

Anyway, remember that early odds don't mean squat. Heck, Newman had huge odds for us...

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Man...I like those odds. Gimme $500 on Bennett.

A dark horse is gonna win this year. Might as well be him.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I guess I could see the logic in Vandagriff bringing better odds than Beck if you consider how slim the chance that either would win but if you believed that Vandagriff has a higher upside.

What gets me, though, is the idea that Milton has a better chance than Bowers or Bennett. Don't get me wrong -- I'd LOVE for Milton to run for 1500 yards and catch 40 or 50 passes -- but Bowers and Bennett are proven stars and Milton's probably behind McIntosh on the depth chart.

• Options

LOL...They just proved what I've been saying. These wing nuts that call themselves "expert" and come up with lists and odds and proclaim this player or that player, "the second coming"...don't know anymore than the rest of us. In fact most of them know less. All they see is numbers or STATs and are incapable of abstract thinking.

Predictable assessment, but, wrong. In fact how many times over the years, has the final top 5 teams, National Champion or Heisman Winner been correctly predicted in preseason polls? Where did Clemson, OSU, Texas A&M, Texas and some of the other usual suspects start and finish, last year. I laugh in their general direction and I'll be glad to take their money. LOL

If they had anything at stake, they would consider their predictions a little harder. I wish they had, end-of-the-year pollster prediction results...by name, date and publication. Keep an ongoing tally year to year and publish the results. At least their reputation would be at stake.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2022

Heisman odds favor Milton over Bowers? Those "experts" should've been comedians instead. Probably the same "experts" who picked Ohio State to win the big10 and Iowa State making the CFP last season. Neither prediction even came close to being a reality.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"I laugh in their general direction."

Not only that: "Their father smelt of elderberries and they're mother was a hamster." ;-)

https://youtu.be/FWBUl7oT9sA

• Options

Exactly! They've got a hat with the usual team names and most popular players in front of them they shake the hat and have the janitor draw a team and a name.

Of course, Young, Stroud and Caleb Williams are the most popular choices, because they've been pushing those names for over a year, now. So, they automatically go to the head of the class. Same with certain teams, i.e., UGA, BAMA, OSU, etc..

I guess it's as good a place as any, to start. Personally, I think all polls and Heisman lists should be reserved till at least after the first game of the season.

The thing about targeting a QB to win the Heisman....there is a misconception, that a QB can win on his own merit. Nothing could be further from the truth, unfortunately. In order to put up "Heisman numbers", a QB has to have, in addition to his own talent; an offensive line capable of protecting him; a running game to operate play-action; receiver talent at WR/TE/RB, a friendly schedule that is conducive to winning; a defense to give him as many possessions as possible; and an OC/HC not afraid to score throughout the length of the game (run up the score), regardless of the lead. This is optimum, but, rarely do all of these variables line up. The default is W-L record.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Anyone who would put money on any UGA player winning the Heisman 1) would be throwing their money away 2) does not understand the concept of mathematical probability 3) does not understand that the Heisman is almost exclusively an offensive player award (stat's driven) and 4) is not aware that UGA is a ball control, run first offense and a RB/WR by committee offense. Pre-empting big statistics from any single player. CKS has built a culture that values putting a ring on at the end of the season and knowing you are a champion vs putting individual goals above team goals.

• Options

First of all...I'd put up $500 on Bennett, to win $100,000 any day of the week an twice on Sunday. Especially since I believe you are going to see an explosive UGA offense next year. Anyone that thinks next year will be business as usual, hasn't been paying attention and should probably stay away from betting on football...period. LOL

This year's UGA team will look nothing like last year's team and in my mind...that gives Bennett a shot. He's shown he can make all the throws, create plays with his legs and understands Monkins offense.

His pass to Mitchell in the NC game was 2 yds short of the distance Beck threw the ball to Smith in the GDay game. The announcers were saying, "Beck showed off his arm". It was a 57 yard pass. Bennett threw the ball 55 yds to Mitchell in the NCG, yet, nobody said, 'there's Bennett showing off his arm"...cause that hasn't been the narrative. A QB can't start a season and a half of SEC football, win a Natty and go thru an entire off-season as the #1 QB without getting better at what he does.

We will see a different offense that moves the ball at will and an improved, efficient, confident QB in Bennett, to lead it.

The bet laid out by the odds maker was $20,000 on a $100 bet for Bennett. So, yeah...I'll take that bet.

And BTW, UGA had the most explosive plays in the SEC last year and Smart said they've been working to improve on that. Just look at their offensive roster,, from top to bottom, side line to side line, they are stacked at every position...at least 2 deep. It's absurd to think, with all that veteran talent, the players that were injured last year, coming back, and an experienced, efficient QB to lead them, that this team won't be racking up points and STATs.

The ONLY thing that could derail em, is an injury to Bennett. But, you could say the same thing about BAMA's prospects if Young gets hurt. It is what it is.

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

If I had to bet on a UGA player to win the Heisman, my money would go down on Kenny McIntosh. Assuming good health, KM will get his (last season) touches this season, plus some of Zeus' 1st down runs, and most of Cook's pass receptions. He could seriously go from 6-8 touches to 16-20 per game. Of course, we have to assume Edwards will be getting some work, as well as ESPN's #1 RB of the '22 Class, Branson Robinson.

• Options

Don't forget Kendall Milton...the other KM. LOL. Dude, you can point to any position group on the offense and find 2 or 3 players that have the talent to excel next year. That's what makes them so dangerous and points to the QB getting credit for all those YACs and completions to TE's and RB's. The WR group is going to be the talk of the SEC and the offensive line has experienced studs 2 deep at every position.

It will be like UGA's defense last year. So many top dogs on offense, that you can't focus on just one player, except for the QB, since he handles the ball on every play and traditionally gets all the credit.

What position usually benefits from the treasure trove of talent and experience the Dawgs will have on offense next year??? The quarterback. That's the guy that's going to get the Heisman exposure...eventually. as the season progresses.

• Options

In fact, Saban would give his left arm for UGA's backup offensive line next year. LOL. He will depend on what appears to be a top 2 or 3 defense to keep them in games in 2022. The offense is going to be a disappointment to fans and media alike. They just don't know it yet. They've come to expect a certain standard, but, they just don't have the hosses they've enjoyed over the last decade.

I believe Saban would have already retired if it weren't for Bryce Young and Wil Anderson. That's why he's leaning so heavily on the transfer portal. Unfortunately for college football, I believe this may be his last year. After Young and Anderson move on to the NFL, he will too. IMO