Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Nakobe Dean, Georgia ‘No-Name Defense’ captain, flying high above 2022 NFL Draft snub

SystemSystem Posts: 7,421 admin
edited May 2022 in Article commenting
imageNakobe Dean, Georgia ‘No-Name Defense’ captain, flying high above 2022 NFL Draft snub

ATHENS — Nakobe Dean has felt the snub before, as recently as last August when no Georgia offensive or defensive players were selected first-team All-SEC by a USA Today panel.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    OldJeepBobOldJeepBob Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ Junior

A "snub" implies that 32 teams were working in concert to not take Nakobe, when that is clearly not the case. (all 32 teams, working together, could not order a pizza). Rather it was the individual opinion of each team, all 82 of them, when they were up, that Nakobe was not what they needed right then. Time will show, of course, as we who have observed him for years know, he is a tremendous, brilliant field general, diagnostician and tackler, and will be quickly vindicated. Often at the expense of those who scoffed at him. DGD, Nakobe Dean!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“The No. 1 job is to win the Super Bowl. I plan to bring a couple of Super Bowls to Philadelphia.” Dean. This is the Nakobe Dean I remember. Absolutely one of UGA's top linebackers of all time. Wait and see...he will make the Eagles proud. He will keep his word on that. Godspeed, Nakobe.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2022

I don't think snubbing requires any conspiracy, it just means he didn't get the recognition he deserved (kind of like being scoffed at). The NFL collectively snubbed him in allowing him to drop a far as they did. This doesn't mean they colluded in doing it, only that it happened. Overall, though, I agree with your post.

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Reminds me of Jessie Tuggle.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not every team was looking to fill a LB roll and most teams don't acquiesce to the "take the best player available" philosophy, anymore. His particular size and speed, may not have been every teams flavor, but, I don't see how they could pass on his "off-the -charts" leadership and intelligence.

He's a field tactician as well as a great football player with football speed second to none. He can disect what an offense is trying to do and react about as fast as any player I've ever seen on the defensive side of the ball. That quality translates to all NFL teams...except the ATL Falcons. LOL

The teams that were looking for LB's, filled those slots 7 times before Philly finally took him. And, the Eagles only took him after their medical evaluation staff confirmed through intense investigation, after the 1st round, that the injury to a pectoral muscle and "reported" lingering issues with his labrum, were wildly exaggerated.

I think the question is, who exaggerated his injuries and why???

And, why wasn't that miscommunication reported in the 1st round? It's been confirmed that, that was the reason interested teams backed off of him early in the draft. That cost him a lot of money. If it was a culpable effort to stonewall him or simply incompetence by his representation, and he can prove it...there may be a forthcoming lawsuit to recoup damages.

He dropped to the 3rd round because of rumors and miscommunication. That's agent malpractice. IMO

• Options

@MikeGriffith

First, let me apologize in advance for this being so long, but, I wanted to be clear about where I'm coming from.......

Mike, I was disgusted and appalled yesterday, when I pulled up ESPN's website. Plastered in living color on their Homepage and NCAA Football page, was a picture of Aiden Hutchinson and 2 other players in the background, none of which, were of the Travon Walker variety. They pulled down the one on the NCCAA Football page, just a couple of hours later, but the one on the Homepage remained. Curious.

You would have thought Hutchinson was the #1 Overall pick. When LSU and BAMA accomplished just short of UGA's record in 2019 & 2020, their team logo's were splashed all over their website.

Somebody...hopefully YOU, should do an expose' on their obvious biases toward certain schools and in particular UGA. This year's slight is just too obvious.

I don't think it's a race thing, but, who knows? ESPN's guy was "white" and he got the exposure, regardless of Travon's position. They never discussed the fact that Hutchinson, played in over twice the number of plays as Walker, which would account for the God forsaken STATS disparity. Those type STATS should be based on opportunities, not seasons or games, to get a realistic picture. You know what I'm talking about.

Go back to the ESPN anti-UGA campaign of 2007, when ESPN was lobbying hard to get LSU in the BCS game over UGA. They put forth the same effort this year to get Cincinnati in the CFP. 2007 is when I first started noticing it. Of course, I was in the US Navy (submarines) during the previous 20 yrs, so, maybe they've been doing it all along and I wasn't around to take note.

The lack of UGA respect and exposure may not effect the UGA brand or recruiting, as much as I think it does, but, you can never be sure what's going through a kid's head in these days of NIL. LOL

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They weren't even trying to conceal their hope to see Hutchinson go #1. It was blatant.

• Options

What's worse, is the hate they showed after the pick...and since.

When J. Davis was selected @13, they harped on that one play In the SECC that looked like he might have been out of gas or loafing. BAMA had been running the hurry-up offense. That's the only play I saw all year, out of Davis, like that. It was not a characteristic. He trimmed down and got in better shape since that game.

However, when Stingley was picked 3rd, they certainly could have shown that no-hussle play against UCLA, where he had a guy trapped on the sideline and didn't finish the play. It resulted in a Bruin TD. That would have been more concerning to me, as it became symbolic of his 2021 season. I would have benched his butt after that.

They could've shown Hutchinson's one-on-ones against UGA OTs. Salyer and McClendon. Those guys all but shut, him and Ojabo, down. That seems more relevant than a couple of sacks against a Big10 also-ran. Especially since Salyer and Schaffer are going to be blocking him in the league next year, too.

In comparison, Hutchinson played over twice as many plays throughout the year as Walker. So, yeah, his TFL and sack numbers are gonna be higher. ABC had better Draft coverage, with McShay, Pollack and Reece Davis, than ESPN did with Kiper and the rest of the ESPN, Big10/Big12/Pac12 Homer's. LOL

• Options

One more thing....if Aiden Hutchinson is NFL ready. If he's "plug 'n play", as they put it....what does that make Salyer and Shaffer...the 2 guys that shut down, supposedly, the best defensive end duo in College football last year? Based on their numbers of course...LOL. Somebody's in for a rude awakening.

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Nakobe and the other members of this team will show that they are all draft steals. They will continue to outplay their rankings just like they've done before.