Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Newly crowned ‘King’ Kirby Smart took over college football with resiliency amid heartbreak

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited May 2022 in Article commenting
imageNewly crowned ‘King’ Kirby Smart took over college football with resiliency amid heartbreak

ATHENS — Kirby Smart and his Georgia football program have been validated like no other program in the nation.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith

Mike...I just watched your interview with Finebaum. You were spot-on, although, I think you're underestimating what UGA's offense is going to put on the field next year. That offense is built to Bennett's strengths. Bennett will look as good as Baker Mayfield or Kyler Murray next year and could have a shot at the Heisman if he got the right preseason Hype. The offense is going to be as dominant in 2022 as the defense was in 2021. I know you can't, and probably shouldn't, say that, but, it's coming...mark my words.

BTW, you should have told Finebaum, "I'll put my vase of Kirby roses right next to your vase of Saban roses." LOL

• Options

@MikeGriffith

BTW, Bennett is younger and more talented than Chris Weinke was, when he won the Heisman at FSU. It's all about Hype and team success.

• Options
    brvhrtbrvhrt Posts: 322 ✭✭✭ Junior

"complex defensive scheme prove inefficient"

You got that right. Tried to get cute and ended up muzzling the greatest defense in CFB history.

Lesson learned.

As for your moniker of choice, you may want to pump the brakes a little.

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've been calling him King Kirby for at least 2 years now. Never heard anyone else call him that. Always said it to irritate the Bama fans that may be lurking. LOL He is the King, though! Saban can now be called Queen Saban. 🤣

GO DAWGS!

• Options

I'd still like to know, whose bright idea that was. Especially after the unimpressive BAMA vs AUB game. AUB shut BAMA down, doing basically, what UGA had been doing all year. What made UGA's defensive coaches feel the need for a change? LOL

• Options
    brvhrtbrvhrt Posts: 322 ✭✭✭ Junior

I definitely believe he's at the top of the profession right now...It's just a pet peeve of mine. I love the idea of Queen Saban, although he acted more like a princess at that TD Club meeting where he threw those kids under the bus...LOL.

• Options

Who do you think built all those defenses at BAMA? Saban? Hardly. He didn't have the time to do it all by himself. No HC does.

Kirby perfected the "Dollar Defense", designed by Saban and Belichick in the 90's. He took his coaching and recruiting skills back home to UGA, hired two more former Dawgs and teammates, Bobo & Muschamp, and forged a Bulldog dynasty.

Saban will retire when Wil Anderson and Bryce Young leave, next year. I don't think he wants any part of this new NIL/TP world of College Football. That's why he didn't think twice about throwing some of his players under the bus. He's all, but done, so...now it's time to reflect. I don't think Alabama will win the West next year, either. And, I think he realizes that, too....regardless of what the imbeciles with the National Media proclaim.

The Saban Era is over. Long live Kirby Smart. Viva La Smart. Viva LA Smart. LOL

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Im a Dawg to the bone but Saban and Bama are loaded next year. The road to the Natty will go through the Crimson Tide.

After next year, who knows how it’s going to go. This NIL deal and the Portal is going determine the contenders. The Alumni from Texas are making sure they are able to buy the best players. They are also paying their o-line. UGA’s big money alum needs to organize and prepare to compete. Big Georgia business that are Dawg fans need to align in that pool. College football is changing for good and I’m not sure it will be good for the game.

Hopefully these NIL deals will come with a contract that requires a minimum of a 3 year commitment or wherever you go has to refund the entire contract amount.

• Options

IMO, If you take the easy route to gold, the road is littered with potholes and boobytraps and isn't all that easy in the end. It's like selling your soul to the devil...there's a price to pay in the end. In the case of NIL and the TP...the price is paid in leadership and the locker room.

At first glance, it may seem like the thing to do, especially if you went 6-7 or 7-6 the last several years. Desperate times call for desperate measures, so-to-speak. Those used-to-win programs desperate to achieve old glory are the schools that will benefit most and most likely to engage the new rules....not the UGA's and BAMA's of the world. Saban and Smart are very particular about the character of athlete allowed into their locker room.

That being said, Saban signed an LSU DB out of the TP prior to Spring practice. He was arrested in Mississippi yesterday, for speeding and possession of Marijuana. That's how desperate Saban is right now. I watched their Spring game and he was not a happy camper. Their offensive line is inept and their best receiver is a UGA transfer. Their best RB was a Ga Tech transfer. After the game, Saban went to the TP again and brought in a Vanderbilt offensive lineman. BAMA's defense is their only bright spot.

Bottom line is that people are so used to BAMA being BAMA every year, they just assume next year is gonna be business as usual. I'm here to tell you, it won't be. Young is only as effective as his offensive line and receivers allow him to be. He's not particularly mobile. They will lose at least 2 games and miss the CFP for the first time, next year.

All good things must, one day, come to an end.