Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Challenges trump expectations in Georgia football dynasty quest

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited May 2022 in Article commenting
imageChallenges trump expectations in Georgia football dynasty quest

ATHENS — Entitlement is one of the worst — and most predictable — things that can happen to a championship program.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You recruit,( portal) and develop team players to win....not to place well....to win it all. That is the perennial benchmark. Kirby adheres to this benchmark....get better, buy in, grind, excel, progress. Team concept....to win. This philosophjy is why he is where he is today...atop college football. The bar is always high with Kirby. He does not raise or lower the bar. He may have to adjust to get there but he will get there...again and again. Kirby has matured, himself, into one of if not the best NCAA football coaches of all time. He did it in six years. He will continue to excel...to build the UGA football family and to succeed. UGA is fortunate to have a man and coach who clearly walks the talk. He is and will continue to be a winner.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UGA66 Strong take, agree!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The great thing about CFB is that there is less opportunity for entitlement and complacency among the players. There is a a whole next wave of defenders hoping to build their brand to the level of the '22 draft class. The O is healthier and more experienced with an even bigger OL than last year. I expect the entire team to be hungry. From CKS on down.

This article reads like UGA will be a failure if they don't repeat as CFBNC. If memory serves, CNS nor AL has never won back to back CFBNC's. CKS has built UGA into a Top 2 CFB program kicking at the door of the recognized dynasty. I would put this UGA team up against any in the country and expect to compete if not win outright. What more could you ask if you are a UGA fan?

Griffith's belief that this UGA team needs to be better than last year's team is a fallacy. This year's team doesn't need to be better than last year's team. Just better than everyone else's this year's team.

• Options
    doubledawg1990doubledawg1990 Posts: 108 ✭✭✭ Junior

@mikegriffith32, you really think it would be near MIRACULOUS for UGA to get to the SEC Championship? I don't think you have to be near "over-bought in" to think that it's very likely. No doubt a few of our games are likely to be closer next year - namely Tn and SC. And you certainly can't overlook the lost production on defense of those that graduated. But there still remains a huge talent gap between UGA and the rest of the SEC East. UGA should be undefeated in conference play going into SECCG and likely just plan undefeated.

Now, being able to lose the SECCG and get to the playoff is another thing.......

• Options
    DawgSonOfGamecockDawgSonOfGamecock Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think the "miraculous" MG was going for is more Immaculate Reception vs. Immaculate Conception. But to his point, it may not require an actual miracle, but it *will* be a challenge for Georgia to win the East, even with our deep talent. We thought they had targets on their backs last year??? None of our East neighbors will be as fired up to play Georgia as this season. A return trip to Atlanta after that would be impressive, no matter what the fan's expectations and/or sense of entitlement may be.

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 378 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Sorry, bud, but I think that's a pretty hard misread. When we consider the line "But the Bulldogs can only [win the SEC East and potentially the SECC] with evolving leadership, hard work and a degree of good fortune -- not past achievements or boisterous expectations," it's pretty clear that, while there is faith in the team, and hope for what they can achieve, there is also a foot well-embedded on the firm soil of reality. There's nothing here that suggests that if UGA doesn't repeat then the season will be a bust for the author, only that that would be the attitude of many entitled fans.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Saban is one driven son of a gun, and so is Kirby. Kirby's advantage is he's younger and hungrier. Dabo is young and driven but I don't think he has the horses to run with the Big Dawgs!

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Now that Kirby has all but stopped Clemp's son from invading this state to take the talent, I think the Tigers are going to have a hard time competing.

This is what Richt did to stop Tennessee as well.

Georgia has more top recruits as a percent of the population than any other state. If Kirby can keep kids here, that's a major advantage to start with, that is hard to beat!.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I expect the Dawgs WILL be in the SEC Championship game, although I will be surprised if we can get beyond that this season. On the offensive side of the ball, we've got a fantastic OL, stellar RBs, better-than-average receiving corps, the best TE group in the nation, and an experienced QB in Stet who I am counting on being as being improved from last season (please!). On the defensive side we definitely have some holes to fill and some inexperience, but the D carried the offense mostly last season. I'm expecting and counting on our offense to carry the D somewhat this year.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree. I think 12% of those selected in the draft came from the state of Georgia.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Didn't misread, bud. Stopped reading after a couple paragraphs when I saw that this was just another , negatively expressed and focused click bait article by Griffith. I guess he hasn't figured out who his audience is yet. Or doesn't care.

After reading some of this, on the heels of his "miraculous" prediction of UGA winning the SECE in '22, I expressed my opinion of the program. Everything I said aligns with my belief of the UGA program though , apparently, it does not align with Griffith's. I stated why UGA winning the SECE in '22 is "highly improbable" or "occurring through divine intervention". is BS.

No entitlement at all. Looking objectively at the SECE, SC, FU, Vandy, MO and KY all have markedly less talent than UGA. TN also has less talent than UGA, however, their air raid O can definitely cause some problems for a less experienced and talented DB corp. Do not expect anyone to approach Cine's level of proficiency this year. Not TSmith coming of ACL surgery. It is a reach to expect 1st year players to contribute what experienced DB's like ASpeed and LBrini did. So the TN game will be interesting but not requiring any miracles.

You could also say that UGA is better coached with an easier schedule than the other teams in SECE. All significant advantages that suggest that no miracles will be needed to get to the SECCG provided there are not significant injuries to key players (Bowers, JCarter, Ringo, NSmith).

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 378 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If you didn't read even half of it, and then formed an opinion on the piece as a whole, then it's a misread. If we walk out of the theatre after Act II of Romeo and Juliet, then it is the love story people talk about. If we turn the game off at the half, the Dawgs lose... That's the thing, though. It doesn't work out like that at all...

I get it. My thoughts about where it was going at the beginning most likely mirrored yours. Then I kept going. All of that opening stuff is just set-up for the very valid point that MG actually does make as the article develops. Should we expect greatness? Sure. Should we act like we're guaranteed a repeat of last year's production just because we are who we are? No. The latter can easily prevent the former, and makes for the sort of whiny fan-base that says things like, "well, if this one receiver had been in the game, we totally would have dominated."