- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)
- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans
- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum
- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
NATIONAL DEVIL'S FOOD CAKE DAY
NATIONAL DEVIL’S FOOD CAKE DAY
Little is better than May 19th with the flavor and richness of National Devil’s Food Cake Day to be enjoyed by chocolate cake lovers throughout the country and around the world.
Devil’s Food Cake is a heavenly chocolate cake. It differs from a regular chocolate cake by its darker color and tends to be more moist and airy. Devil’s Food cake recipes use hot or boiling water as the primary liquid. Cocoa is typically utilized in the batter, as opposed to chocolate, and coffee can be added for a distinctive flavor. A delicious chocolate frosting usually accompanies the cake.
The definition for deviled foods: Food that is dark, rich, and chocolate was termed “deviled” in its day. This term dates into the 18th century and remains popular in various recipes ever since. At one time, Velvet Red Cake was one name for what we might view today as deviled cake.
Recipes for Devil’s Food cakes often appeared alongside recipes for Angel Food cakes. One of the earliest recipes appeared on August 10, 1898, edition of the Hagerstown Exponent of Hagerstown, Indiana. While earlier chocolate cake recipes existed before this one, Devil’s Food Cake is uniquely different from other chocolate cakes.
HOW TO OBSERVE Devils Food Cake Day
- Baking a cake is the first idea to offer.
- Buy a Deviled Food Cake is another option.
- Share with friends and neighbors.
- Send a cake to the home office of National Day Calendar!
- Mix up this irresistible Devil’s Food Cake I recipe.If you have a recipe you love, be sure to share it! Use #DevilsFoodCakeDay to post the recipe on social media for all to see! We will be watching for the hashtag. You can also submit recipes right here on our website using the form on our Recipe Page. Just scroll down that page to find the form.
NATIONAL DEVIL’S FOOD CAKE DAY HISTORY
National Day Calendar continues researching the origins of this dessert holiday. We do know that Southern states here in the USA once made the cake from beets with cocoa. Does that seem strange? It does to us too.
If you are ever wondering which came first, Angel Food Cake or Devil’s Food Cake, we have an easy way to remember. Angels came first before devils and the same with these cakes. Angel Food has been around since at least the 1880s while Devils Food came onto the scene around 1902.
Devil's Food Cake has long been one of my major food groups. I guess I've never been an angel.