Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Winners and Losers from Nick Saban-Jimbo Fisher verbal showdown

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited May 2022 in Article commenting
imageWinners and Losers from Nick Saban-Jimbo Fisher verbal showdown

ATHENS — The explosive war of words between Nick Saban and Jimbo Fisher last week provided a reminder of just how competitive college football — and particularly the SEC — really is.

Read the full story here

Comments

• AirmanEAirmanE Posts: 34 ✭✭ Sophomore

I have to strongly disagree with your opinion Mike. The Supreme Court spoke loudly on this issue when they voted 9-0 in favor of the athletes. “Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate. … The NCAA is not above the law”(Majority Opinion). That’s a verbatim quote from the highest court in America this discussion is over everyone needs to adjust to the new rules. No different than saban changing his offense, you either move forward or get left in the past.

• MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2022

@AirmanE You made my point -- status quo helps Texas A&M and Texas -- by making this a spectacle and bringing it to the court of public opinion, Saban has provide a catalyst for potential change. The trend now would not behoove Alabama or Georgia relative to deeper-pocketed programs like A&M and Texas.

• Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This is probably not the forum for this observation, but as far as I know, universities still require grad students to sign away rights to any products or intellectual property developed in research they participate in. I don't know what the current numbers are but last time I checked, UGa collected hundreds of millions from research contracts and grants. Grad students barely get subsistence pay. Just sayin'

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree 100%. The only way the NCAA is going to gain any traction on this issue, is for Congress to give them an "antitrust exemption". There hasn't been a lot of support for that, up until now. I believe the tide is changing. Fans are calling for the NCAA to do something and are being educated as to why they can't. Legislators are in turn feeling the pressure to "do something". It will take more Coaches like Smart and Saban speaking out about it and raising public and political awareness.

You know what was interesting about Fisher's comments? Unlike many of his peers, he didn't say one negative thing regarding the NIL and TP chaos. His entire diatribe was deflective. Why didn't he just say, "Yeah, our players benefit from one of the best NIL Collectives in the Country"? Not...try to throw everybody else under the bus, especially since "the bus" is sporting Nerf tires now. LOL. Does he not believe Texas A&M acted within the rules? Interesting...hmmm.

Mike...word on the street is that, AFLAC is hiring All State's "Mayhem Man" to referee next year's commercials with Saban and Sanders going toe-to-toe. The "AFLAC Duck" is promoting the event and remains neutral. 🤣🤣🤣

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Saban point was a&m could only get that assortment of talent with money whereas Bama got there’s from kids that want to win something, Bama’s kids get money but that was incidental and not the driving force for choosing Bama.

Saban accomplished exactly what he intended...everybody is talking about NIL/TP issues. That's the lead story.

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Which coach do you find more believable? Both!

Anyone who's kept up with recruiting knows that you don't go from 34-14, 8-4 to the best class ever without NIL.

Anyone who's kept up with recruiting also knows (that like Hillary) Saban simply got away it (See T-town men's wear) and poor Bama players driving $40.000 cars, just to name two of many, many examples.

The answer to the question - Both...

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Saban probably feels like he's built something from the ground up and kids want to play there. Do the best kids at most big schools get certain advantages to play there? I'm not naive. BUt what took Saban and Kirby a few years to establish, JImbo can now just buy his way in. It is what it is.

LOL...Don't forget Bobby Bowden's Free Shoes U (FSU), or Jimbo's Crab Legs U (FSU) or the Jameis Winston Rape-Coverup (FSU)...or Jimbo's NCAA show-cause NCAA investigation 1.5 yrs ago (aTm).

Didn't he say that Bobby (Bowden) showed him how to do it right? Believe him.

I loved Bobby Bowden...a great man in my book. Came to my HS ifootball banquet n the 70's not long after FSU hired him. He was hilarious and extremely likeable, but, let's not kid ourselves....the Bobby Bowden of the 70's and 80's, was not the Bobby Bowden of the 90's and 2000's. Somewhere along the way, he conformed, to become competitive with Miami, FLA and other rival schools. In the end, FSU was not a clean program and neither was Miami. Texas A&M was headed in that direction under Fisher. NIL/TP just added nitro to an, already borderline recruiting program.

• rxmasterrxmaster Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • rxmasterrxmaster Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

Except the issue is nobody here is a worker. They choose to sign the a scholarship to attend school. That is their choice. If they want to make money playing football, and college doesn't allow them, they can take their issues up with the NFL. The true violation is the NFL collective bargaining that bars them from entering that workforce, not that the NCAA doesn't pay their STUDENT-athletes.

LOL...That's not how it works. The discussion is far from over. The SCOTUS doesn't make law. It simply interprets existing law and applies it to the case before them.

Existing law doesn't "currently" provide the NCAA with an antitrust exemption; however, that can change with the passing of new law by Congress and the Senate.

That's how Social Media Companies are able to avoid litigation. Section 230 protections provided by Congress Exempt them from certain laws governing Free Speech protections.

A similar protection for the NCAA can be provided by Congress that would render the SCOTUS ruling irrelevant.