Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

CBS coach rankings more like favorites list, raises eyebrows in Georgia, around SEC

SystemSystem Posts: 10,430 admin
edited May 2022 in Article commenting
imageCBS coach rankings more like favorites list, raises eyebrows in Georgia, around SEC

ATHENS — They just can’t put Kirby Smart No. 1, can they?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There has been and still is a Saban-bias in the SEC. I truly believe UGA/Smart could win it all again and Saban would still be ranked numero uno. Very hard to break this kind of bias...but if it is to be broken, Smart will do it.

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m just glad to see Saban at number one on this list. He’d of had another hissy fit had he not been #1.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Mike Griffith, you are the man. Your perspectives and insights are usually different and the best. Anyone who does not realize that and for those wo don't give you respect you deserve, well, they are betting on the wrong horse, following the same ole same ole. I heard that Darryl from Columbus on Finebaum's show awhile back, say that he just isn't sure about you, implying he doesn't really like you or what you say. He is missing the boat, but look who we are talking about, enough said. Once again, you are the man, don't change. Keep calling it how you see it and making your bold predictions. Like Mullen being done and the FL dumpster fire they were, long before anyone had a clue it was that bad and BOOM, next thing you know Mullen was gone. Others may have thought it, but you proclaimed it and on what is likely your biggest platform, the Paul Finebaum show. You are the man Mike. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith

Bravo, Mike. It's about time somebody started poking holes in the obvious media bias that exists...and it didn't just start, either.

BAMA has at least 2 Championships they wouldn't have (pre-CFP), if it didn't exist. You could probably say the same thing about USC, OSU, ND and a few others as well. When the AP and UPI took it upon themselves to designate a Champion every year, they obviously gave their Alumni Schools the nod over the likes of UGA. Computer Polls weren't much better...after all, who wrote and approved the algorithms used?

There's only one way to settle the question of "best Coach", "Best Player", "Best Team"...and that's on the Football Field. Everything else, is just noise with dwindling credibility. And so goes ABC, NBC, CBS, ESPN Sports Illustrated, etal..

When a superlative or narrative is offered by members of this group, that can be rebutted by pointing to actual accomplishments, facts and events...it flies in the face of reality and insults the intelligence of the reader/listener. Who needs em? I've got my own lists and opinions.. LOL

Seriously...Good Job!!!

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 380 ✭✭✭ Junior

@MikeGriffith lists aren’t made in the now, who does that? Did Saban retire today that we don’t know about, he will be, and deserves to be #1 as long as he remains coaching. I bet you wouldn’t rank Nick Foles a better Qb over Tom Brady (7 time SuperBowl Champ) because he beat Brady in that 1 game! 🙄

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2022

Thankfully UGA had the depth to overcome all that Griffith mentioned in paragraph 12.(?) Something AL did not apparently have due to CKS recruiting prowess. As CKS has admitted, recruiting success is THE most important thing needed for success at the collegiate level. CKS may be #1 there in the waning years of Saban. That is outside of outright buying recruits. Hopefully that will be eliminated.

That AND building and overseeing a thoroughly complete program (at every level) is what separates CKS from everyone on that list except the man he learned it from. And CKS having a longer coaching lifespan makes him the #1 coach to have right now.

Here is another fresh take I have not seen anyone mention regarding the recent UGA championship. All the talking heads and AL fans complain about the loss of AL WR JWilliams during the game. But they never mention the UGA loss of leading sack man D'Andre Walker in the '17 CFBCG. Walker has 2 sacks in the games 1st Q (?) before being taken out by AL and not returning. Similar to AL LB Reuben Foster trying to take Deshaun Watson out of the AL/CLE CFBCG with a targeting shot to the head (knock out shot before targeting was a rule infraction). No asterisks.

You are not objective if you do not give Saban his due. He has won 7 championships. He did it in an era when he was King. But he built his own kingdom and did it. That will never be done again. The CFB landscape is different from that era. NIL will spread the best players around and keep 1 coach from dominating the way Saban did before TP and NIL.

• Options

LOL...The list should support what it asserts. If it says FBS HC Rankings for 2022...then, by God, that's what it should reflect. Not, all-time coach rankings, or decade coach rankings or SEC coach rankings...but, 2022 FBS HC Rankings. And, this list...is horse manure...and I'm not talking about just the #1 & #2 rankings. No thought, whatsoever, was put into this list. It was a who's who of College Football head Coaches "Favorites" list for the person or group, representing CBS, that made it up. Means nothing.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't have a problem with the top four. Saban's earned No. 1; it's not like he had a lousy team last year or will have a lousy one next year.

But I don't think Jimbo Fisher earned No. 5. He won a championship at FSU, then ran the program into the ground. And he's been 34-14 at A&M. He's performed about the norm at his two schools. And he's certainly underperformed -- considering the talent he's recruiting. Ryan Day and Brian Kelly should be ahead of him.

This was just Power 5 coaches. It'd be interesting to see where they'd put Luke Fickell had he qualified.

• Options

Using the standards apparently applied in this list, would put Gus Malzahn (UCF) near the top, if all Conferences were included. He recorded a Championship with comparable season records to Fisher. I think it's worth noting, that Fisher's record, at Texas A&M, is identical to Kevin Sumlin's A&M record.

Don't get me started on Clemson Coach, Dabo Sweeney. Based on last season's performance, he was middle of the pack, with not much hope of improving in 2022...given the loss of Assistant Coaches and the improvement of ACC competition over the last 2 years.

Sam Pittman and Josh Heupel deserved to be in the top ten, based on their respective team's over-achievement in 2021.

Performance should count more than history or name recognition and I don't see that, in this rediculous list. Almost every position on the list could be effectively challenged...not just a little bit, but, significantly. That alone discredits the list completely.

We will never, "unanimously agree" with any list of superlatives, but, this list is so absurd, it warrants complete rejection from serious Journalists and Fans. It's actually worse than John Harbaugh's assertion that Michigan's players are more NFL ready than UGA's players (essentially).

It reminds of another "list" I observed recently. Sports247 put out a list of the "Top 12 SEC Players for 2022". They, predictably, had 3 BAMA players on the list, and just 2 UGA players. Young and Anderson were #1 & #2; Jalen Carter and Brock Bowers were #3 & #4.