Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

SEC-only playoff concept sign of times, college football changes inevitable

SystemSystem Posts: 7,421 admin
edited May 2022 in Article commenting
imageSEC-only playoff concept sign of times, college football changes inevitable

ATHENS — SEC fans tend to live in a world where it’s the SEC teams, and then everyone else.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Completely against expansion of the playoffs to 12 teams. Having the 4 best teams in the country with a 1st rd bye is ludicrous. If we learned anything in the playoff era is that all teams are not created equal. The #2 and #4 teams last season (non SEC teams) were blown out. Teams 9-12 (if not more) are non factors.

Money will rule as usual but 8 team playoff should be the number. 12 team playoff is a money grab.

Also against any automatic bids. Automatic bids are fine in March Madness where 64 teams are selected. Not when 8 teams are selected. SEC should be against automatic bids as weak conference winners will displace more deserving SEC teams.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UGADad20 Good take -- Sankey wouldn't do the 8 team because bids were automatic from Power 5 and that would limit SEC. The 12 team gets the automatics in plus opens the door for several from one conference. I can see why The Alliance is concerned, but trying to throttle the SEC rather than focus on making their product better seems counterproductive if the SEC ends up breaking away.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2022

And Dinich chose Ohio St to win the big10 last year, and picked Iowa State to make the CFP. A true "expert" 😆 her words carry little or no credibility.

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited May 2022

I also don't think the automatic bids should be done. Example: If a 7-6 pac-12 champ sneaks into the playoff in the 8 team playoff, that's completely undeserving. Especially if they keep out something like a 10-2 SEC 4th place team. That 6-6 would get clobbered in the cfp. Then not only would it make that team/pac-12 look that much worse, viewers would not even want to turn in to watch, period. If we decide 8 team playoffs down the road, it needs to be the 8 BEST teams. If SEC separates, I feel like more teams will jump ship from the alliance. I know it's not in the cards for the next couple years, but what about 5-10?

• Options
    10DAWG10DAWG Posts: 254 ✭✭✭ Junior

Well it's not about sustainability, it's about growth and $$$, and Sankey has been proactive for the most part. Therefore if I was the other commissioners, I would take it seriously. The thought of moving to a 24 or more team SEC would be attractive to ESPN. Not to mention having total control.

• Options
    DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 486 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

OK, so what would be satisfactory for all in and this in Division 1 FBS taking in consideration getting a pure 12 or t16 team playoffs? How do we get that? What do we do about the MAC, C-USA, AAC, Sunbelt, MWC and the Independents other than ND, how do they factor in? How do we make it fair to them? I have a good idea [see: 3 things: Texas, Oklahoma move toward SEC a continuation of college football evolution] July posting it wasn't well received. That was just a thought that I have tweaked a bit since, it might be too lengthy to post it here. 😎

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

So let's say that Bama and uga go undefeated, meeting in the seccg. They are ranked 1 and 2. Along the way, they deal A&M and Florida their only losses. After the seccg, you will have one undefeated sec team, and three one loss teams whose only loss was to a top 5 team. Is it conceivable that you could have 3 or maybe 4 sec teams in the playoff? Or will there be some kind of "equity" equation where non-sec teams, even if inferior teams, would go to playoffs, in the interest of fairness and diversification? 8 team playoff is the best answer. 5 automatic bids for power 5 champions, 3 at large bids to include those just missing out, or undefeated and outside the power 5.