Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Arch Manning would add millions of dollars in value to Georgia football quarterback position

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited June 2022 in Article commenting
imageArch Manning would add millions of dollars in value to Georgia football quarterback position

ATHENS — Georgia coach Kirby Smart is after 2023 QB recruit Arch Manning on the recruiting trail to win more championships and more games.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited June 2022

Got to change with the times or get left behind. If they change again or go back, just keep changing with them. Kirby will. That being said, do need the flashy attention getting deals like cars, jewelry, whatever. Or maybe not? Maybe that is not the kind of players you really want? And maybe the kind of deals 18 year olds do not need to come close to reaching their potential on and off of the field?

Some of the top players will gravitate to that and schools without it will lose out to a school that can offer a Porsche or Bentley, etc. It can be a disadvantage depending on the player, that is for sure. A player you may really want to have too. But I bet that many of these kids, that get these best over-the-top deals, will think that they have arrived and lose some fire and drive and that it will backfire on the kid and the team and the kid will never reach close to full potential or will never work out , especially playing for a coach like Smart. This will cause a lot of kids to blow it, I think, that would not have, if not for this crazy NIL stuff. I can see having a set price or limit for signing autographs or making appearances, whatever.

But limitless? I think they should lose college eligibility as they are no longer pros myself. Then where will they get ready for the NFL, without the coaching and the practicing and the big game experiences playing against and practicing against the best? Nowhere. Then their NFL opportunity is gone for most of them. NFL or some other entity can start a minor league, that's it. There goes college degree and that experience too though. I say there has to be some limits, so it does not crush so many schools future in the sport and therefore for so many kids across the nation. Schools that are already struggling to keep up, but still have a chance to turn it around and be competitive and win once in a while in their conferences.

I dunno but something has to be done for the greater good. Or not. NCAA waiting on lawsuits and politicians to do their job it seems. NCAA might be a thing of the past 5 years from now, when it comes to top teams and conferences in college football.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not an NIL fan, as too close to pro. If you look hard at it, Texas has the NIL clout. UGA would soon gain it if Manning signs, but not yet. Not sure where Manning is with all of this. He will likely sign for mega millions in NFL anyway. NIL is chump change to this boy. And, you never know, he could hit the portal with his name leverage if UGA doesn't shine enough for him. I like the QB room we have now...pletny of top talent...NIL or no NIL.

• ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He's bama bound. :(

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby asked Arch to come for his UGA OV June 3-5, because Kirby wanted to make the first impression.

I think the fact that Arch essentially scheduled his official visits around Kirby's wishes bodes well for Georgia.

• PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 181 ✭✭✭ Junior

The whole **** thing is sad.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

C’mon Mike, do you really think Bennett only made $703? Yet again you tried to highlight a JT Daniels accomplishment while diminishing Bennett. Why the obsession with JT? I respect JT and all his “stars” in HS, but he lost his position at USC to a QB who was #82 this past season in the QBR rating. Then he lost his position at UGA to a walk-on. Time to give it a break Mike and I’ll bet you even money you conventionally left three zeros off Bennett’s NIL $$$. BTW, who was MVP in the NC game? Was it the overly paid QB at Bama or the Mailman who always delivers on time? Go Dawgs!!!

• khummelkhummel Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don't get me wrong, I'd be tickled pink if we landed Manning. But I Love our current QB room (1-4), and Hate this commercial crap. Go Dawgs!

• DawgsWinDawgsWin Posts: 25 ✭✭ Sophomore

Mike, don't you think you left out a few zeros for Stetson? How about 703,000?

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Freudian slip? $703K? No wonder he came back for yr 6. That is about 7X what an UFA makes IF he makes the team.

Truth be told JTD lost his position at USC to an injury that took him 2 surgeries and almost a year and a half to recover from. That was after skipping his sr yr in HS and playing pretty well as a freshman starter for USC.

• dirty_dawgdirty_dawg Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

Tyler Williams just crystal balled to UGA over on 24/7. Williams, Cotrell and Hale... Manning would love to throw to those guys. Then again, so would Carson, Brock, or Gunner. Either way... we good!

I agree but it also seems like all/most of the offensive recruits came to Athens on 6/3-5 and most of the defensive recruits came to Athens on 6/10-12. Smart (no pun intended) recruiting to start relationship building by teaming up recruits that will be playing on the same units.

• 87dawg87dawg Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Your hatred of Daniels continues to amaze. The article was not highlighting Daniels at all. It was speaking to the offense run while Daniels was healthy, before he lost his job due to injury, not competition, and how Manning would be a great fit for that type offense.

It was not a "praising Daniels" or "bashing Bennett" comment in any way, shape or form. It spoke to the style of play only.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

IMO...DawgNation and others have misread the whole QB situation. You have to remember, when Monkin was hired, UGA was without a veteran QB (Fromm turned pro, unexpectedly). Smart and Monkin were scrambling to replace him amid a catastrophic Pandemic. They raked in every available SEC ready QB they could find in the portal..."Jamie Newman and JT Daniels".

Those 2 guys, along with D'wan Mathis, Carson Beck and Stetson Bennett were the QB's Monkin had to choose from. He had a lot of film on Bennett, so, the priority was to get Newman, Daniels and Mathis involved in as many game-like reps as possible...as well as teach them the offense. That's a tall order, considering the pandemic conditions of the time.

Newman resigned, for whatever reason. Only speculation knows. JT Daniels wasn't "cleared", even though it had been 1 year since his knee injury. D'wan Mathis started the season, and flopped by the end of the 1st half of the 1st game. Bennett took over in the second half...and from that point, until his injury in the 1st quarter of the FL Game, Bennett's number 1 and 2 targets were James Cook and Kearis Jackson. Those 3 guys had close to the same production in the 1st half of the season, as Daniels, Pickens and Burton in the 2nd half of the season

Bennett was an afterthought to fans and sports media. When asked where Bennett was hiding before the season, Smart replied, "We knew what we had in Bennett. We needed to see where the other guys fit in"...or words to that effect. Once Bennett was installed,, he became the type QB, Monkin was looking for all along. Newman was a similar QB, but left. Daniels was a capable backup, but, he wasn't a prototype QB for the air-raid style that Monkin wanted to install.

in 2021, UGA had everything they needed to run out of a pro-style spread using play-action with a pocket passer (JT Daniels). An offensive line capable of protecting a pocket passer and RB's that could block, catch and run.....until INJURIES hit in Spring and Fall practices, that is.

Everything changed, by the time they got into the season. The offense only scored 3 points against Clemson, with Daniels at QB. Yes, he was injured, but, the problems were deeper than that. Over the next few games, Monkin saw that Bennett's mobility and accuracy, made him a prototype "air-raid QB". Throughout the season, Monkin had to adjust the offense to account for injuries and guys returning from injury. Bennett's style allowed him to do that successfully.

If you want to read an honest and realistic assessment of Daniels abilities, using facts and analytics, and what type offense he fits into...read the below article from West Virginia's version of Dawg Nation..."Smoking Musket".

https://www.smokingmusket.com/2022/5/7/23056346/a-closer-look-at-west-virginia-mountaineer-qb-jt-daniels

• MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigDawg61 Or you can listen to Stetson tell you he almost transferred last summer because he wasn't getting any looks -- threw 4 passes in spring game.

Who comes up with the revisionist history?

Coaches give reps to the players they believe will play -- especially Monken, and NFL guy who doesn't believe in splitting the work.

Kirby said Beck was No. 2 UAB week, but Beck had a bad Monday practice, and Stet was the call -- and he lit up UAB and became a real option once JT was re-injured, made the most of his opportunity and played really well in Orange Bowl and well enough for Dawgs to win national title.

There's no-missreads here, but there's a lot of revisionist history going on, for sure. Can't say it's worth dipping into, folks get uptight. We'll see how it all works out, lotsa talent in that QB room and lots of experience with Stet.

• abragg89abragg89 Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

What makes you believe he's "Bama bound" ?

I've seen you comment this on every single Arch article

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith

Revisionist history...okay, let's examine that just a minute. The only reason I'm responding to this, is to set the record straight.

You guys keep insisting you knew the QB Depth Chart going into 2020...and you did not. That's the Dawg Nation revision.

You are suggesting that Beck was the starting QB on Monday after the Clemson game and was replaced by Bennett on Tuesday. That's BS and you know it.

The in-season practice routine, especially after a physical game, has UGA in "shorts & shoulder pads" or "shorts & helmets" on Monday. Film study (previous game and upcoming opponent), meetings, 3/4 speed walk-thru of game plan (thud/no-tackle), etc.. Full pads on Tue, Wed and sometimes Thursday. Thursday is optional between full pads or thud practice, depending. Shorts and helmets walk-thru on Friday before game.

There is no way in hell's bathroom that Beck was replaced after a Monday practice. What could have possibly been revealed regarding Beck's capability, that Smart and Monk didn't already know after Spring practice, Summer OTA's and Fall camp?

ESPN reported after the UAB game that when Smart announced that Beck was the #2 QB, the week before, they assumed that he would start against UAB when Daniels was scratched. Their report continued..."what Smart didn't say, when he made that announcement, was that Bennett was the #1 QB".

Yes, Smart and Monkin did, indeed talk Bennett into coming back. Bennett, understandably, felt undervalued and neglected after Spring practice and didn't see a future at UGA, going forward.

I believe Monkin intended to use both QB's during the 2021 season. That's not something they would want to make public...and that's WHY and HOW they talked Bennett into returning. The injury to Pickens and the unexpected Spring performance of Bowers influenced this philosophy. It turned out to be one of the best coaching decisions of the Kirby Smart era.

I remember seeing you on the Finebaum Show before the Clemson game. You admitted that the QB pecking order was being kept "close to the vest" by Smart and that all we had was speculation based on observation. Daniels was assumed to be #1 after taking all or most of the #1 snaps during Spring and Fall scrimmages and attending SEC Days with Smart as one of the Team Captains. After that, your guess was as good as mine. I guessed Bennett...you guessed Beck.

I'll say it again...Smart talking Bennett into returning for the 2021 season, turned out to be the best and most fortuitous decision of his Head Coaching career, to-date.

BTW, I enjoy reading your take on the Dawgs and seeing you go toe-to-toe with Paul on the Finebaum Show. Keep up the good work.