Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

NATIONAL VANILLA MILK SHAKE DAY/ / NATIONAL ICE CREAM SODA DAY

donniemdonniem Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

NATIONAL VANILLA MILKSHAKE DAY

On June 20th each year, National Vanilla Milkshake Day celebrates the cold beverage made with vanilla ice cream, vanilla, and milk.

This frosty drink didn’t begin with those three ingredients, though. In 1885, the term “milkshake” showed up in print for the first time. The concoction of cream, eggs, and whiskey was often served with other alcoholic tonics such as lemonades and soda waters. 

By 1900, a milkshake often referred to “wholesome drinks made with chocolate, strawberry or vanilla syrups.” In these frothy beverages, ice cream was nowhere to be found. However, a few years later in the early 1900s, people began asking for this new treat with a scoop of ice cream. By the 1930s, malt shops were serving milkshakes all over the United States.

Maybe you want to top off your vanilla milkshake with a little bit of whipped cream and a cherry on top!!

Share a vanilla milkshake with someone. Whether you make one at home or go out to your favorite ice cream shop, a vanilla milkshake is a terrific pick-me-up. They’re also easy to make. With a few simple ingredients, you and the family can make your favorite milkshakes at home.  

Give these delicious recipes a try:

Vanilla Milkshake 

Creamy Vanilla Milkshake

Do you have a favorite flavor milk shake? I do think coffee is my favorite. Do you have a favorite place to get a milk shake? I kind of like Burger King's shakes, although I'm not sure they make coffee ones.

It's also National Ice Cream Soda Day. I don't recall ever having one of these. Are they still made anywhere, or have they gone the way of the slide rule?

NATIONAL ICE CREAM SODA DAY

On June 20th enjoy a cool, frothy ice cream soda to celebrate National Ice Cream Soda Day!

There are many claims to the invention of this delicious treat. One such claim was made by a Mr. Robert McCay Green. According to Green, he created the beverage in 1874 in Philadelphia when he ran out of ice for his shaved ice treats. Once he began substituting ice cream, he had a hit on his hands. Green even included in his will that his gravestone read, “Here lies the originator of the ice cream soda.”

Philip Mohr of Elizabeth, New Jersey would mix soda water with ice cream to make the drink colder. His practice took place as early as 1862 beating out Mr. Green’s claim.

Advertisements in an 1862 Newport Daily News for Sheld’s celebrating Ice Cream Soda encourage customers to “Try It, Try It, Try It, It.” By the looks of it, it was something new at the time.

Whenever the ice cream soda was invented, it was certainly a winning combination. For generations, we have been enjoying these creamy carbonated desserts at pharmacies and soda fountains across the country.