Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Elite 2023 quarterback prospect Arch Manning commits to Texas over Georgia

2»

Comments

• dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 181 ✭✭✭ Junior

Sounds like the guy made the best decision for himself that he could.

He wasn't gonna be at any university long anyway and then it's off to the pro's.

It certainly wasn't distance as Austin & Athens are about the same flight and drive from New Orleans.

Maybe it was the white uniforms.

Maybe we should 86 the recruiting gimmicks and sell the University of Georgia and let the chips fall where they may.

• amacdad101amacdad101 Posts: 194 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The Dawgs will be just fine...we have young men who want to be between the hedges and will carry on with class the tradition of UGA football...I, for one am looking forward to the coming season and believe the Dawgs will again be the "cream" that rises to the top...Go Dawgs Sic um.

• thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yeah, I remember that well. While Manning was in Knoxville they had a "throw it on nearly every down" strategy to give Manning maximum practice for the NFL. It was dumb, really because Tennessee had historically been a traditional I-formation power football team so all their personnel was for the running game. Their OL couldn't pass-block and many of their WRs were QBs and RBs in high school ... couldn't run routes and had hands of stone. After Manning left they ditched that nonsense and actually began to rely on their three future starting NFL tailbacks (Jamal Lewis, Travis Henry, Shawn Bryson). The line performed a lot better because they were better at run-blocking in the first place, plus where Martin wasn't quite the dual threat QB that everyone claimed, he was plenty mobile so he could scramble for key third downs plus avoid the pass rush by rolling out to either side and throwing it to an open man. Granted, FSU's Heisman winning quarterback getting hurt had a lot to do with it, but Martin played his role by going up against an FSU front seven that was filled with future NFL players and not taking a single sack. And even Tennessee's defense played better that year.

Tennessee probably would have won a title in the Manning era had they thrown less and run more. But - like I said - the Mannings cared more about NFL contracts and endorsement money than college titles.

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Best of luck to Arch. I hope he puts up great numbers and gets developed like he wants to, because he won't be winning any SEC or National championships at Texas. It's all in what you want.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Here's a quick reminder...Manning hasn't beaten out Quinn Ewers yet. Ewers was the top QB in his Senior year of HS (2020). He's gonna be the Longhorn QB till he's not. His eligibility runs through 2024.

Ewers was once considered to be the best Collegiate Prospect of 2022 until he reclassified and signed with OSU in 2021. He spent 1 yr at OSU before transferring to Texas last year.

Bottom line is, Manning got his work cut out for him.

• TrippTripp Posts: 512 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Can’t blame Arch, I never believed he would choose Georgia anyway. Georgia was simply a way to leverage the Longhorn boosters to anti up maximum in NIL. Arch is the hottest NIL prospect of the 2023 class and he will be on the field no later than 2024 at Texas. Georgia on the other hand has a qb room full of talent. It is also a fact that elite 5 star QB’s have not been able to break through early at Georgia. That stat probably played a part as well considering the guys ahead of him. I actually think we shouldn’t even worry about a 2023 QB commit and focus more on 2024 for that position. Hopefully Kirby and staff can find a way to get more qb’s involved in the game this year.

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Arch and his family may well have made a Big mistake. I’m thinking in terms of our current ( and I believe for some time to come Unless he’s offered a Big raise and a HC position) OC. This is Not the usual Dawgs Offense and I believe will be changing even more dramatically in a Good way this year and years to come. Any way wish Arch the best unless it’s in a game verses our beloved Dawgs. ***** Even without Arch there is Tons of firepower in the QB room at UGA. And at the collegiate level we don’t know but that we might have Better than him already here !! Go Dawgs !!

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Surprised to read here that UGA was almost "universally" considered to be the leader for Manning. I hadn't read that anywhere. And I'm no expert but I NEVER expected Georgia to sign him. To those who say our record in developing 5-star QBs set us back I agree. I actually think Stetson Bennett set us back in that Manning family probably looked at that and said, "wow, they couldn't elevate JT Daniels or anyone else to beat this guy out? What will happen when I get there?" But I wish him well. Not going to hate on him just because he decided to attend college elsewhere. UGA will be fine. No QB has ever won a championship single-handedly. And the Longhorns are a far cry from the Dawgs right now. Go Dawgs!

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How do you know the Mannings didn't say, "Wow...they developed this preferred walk-on QB into a 2-time MVP National Champ". Now, that's a helluva lot more impressive than doing the same thing with a a couple of 5-star QB's.

Personally...I don't think any of that mattered. In the end, he may wind up transferring after a year or two in Ewers' shadow. And, if Sarkisian doesn't start winning....he's gone.

A lot can happen, to change the landscape, between now and the end of the 2022 season. I am looking for an announcement, any day, that Texas and Oklahoma have come to terms with the BIG12 and are joining the SEC in 2023.

We'll see where all this stands at the end of the season.

edited June 2022

When we look at our Offense in totality I think our Dawgs will be just fine. Like I said in my previous comment things at UGA concerning the O hinge Much More on Coach Monken than the current QB position. We Do have an Excellent QB room and that Includes Stetson Bennett. I understand that the QB position is the most important on the O, but sometimes you have to look at it from an entire unit perspective. After all most QBs have to have guys that they can throw the ball to, Or attempt to run the ball 95% of the time which is not good in many ways. I’m hoping to see Big performances from our TEs and our RBs catching the ball almost as importantly as our WRs. And I think that Will happen. When you couple that with a powerful run game that the Dawgs should have and Yes an occasional long bomb to keep the rival D honest then the Dawgs Will be a very potent team offensively. I Know allot of fans love to see beautiful long bombs on nearly every play, and Yes they are indeed a thing of beauty when properly executed. But if you look at most recent Championship teams they don’t come from the PAC12 where the long bomb seems to be 90% of the O !! No they in the last what at least 15+ years come from teams who are very adept at mixing it up. Just like trying to run the ball pretty much every play, that’s not gonna get teams to a Championship very often in these modern times. I think Coach Monken though known for the Air Raid in the Pros has adapted and will continue to refine it, a Very Effective mix it up type Offense. And for that type of set up the Dawgs are like Arbys, we Have The Meat !! 😀

Just adding to my most recent comment. As long as our Dawgs find the end zone on a continuous basis I’m a happy fan !! A mixture of short to intermediate passes coupled with running the ball and a few long bombs thrown in is just fine by me !! Just score Touchdowns, Allot, and I’m happy !! And of course out Defense keeping the rival team from matching the production. Just Win fair and square that’s what I want to see. It takes a Total Team effort to get to and win Championships. ******If your team is based on one maybe two guys what happens when one or both get injured ??