Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What comes next for the Georgia football quarterback position after Arch Manning commits to Texas

SystemSystem Posts: 10,430 admin
edited June 2022 in Article commenting
imageWhat comes next for the Georgia football quarterback position after Arch Manning commits to Texas

Georgia football will have to look elsewhere at the quarterback position after Arch Manning committed to Texas.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2022

Bummer, but I wish Arch the best and thankful he didn’t drag his decision into December. At least we can look at other options. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2022

Between Beck, Vandagriff, and Stockon, Georgia is set through 2025, maybe longer. Bring in a top QB in 2024 and 2025, use the portal if you must, and keep rolling. I love our "problems" and QB room for the foreseeable future. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Honestly, I'm more than happy with our current set of QBs at Georgia. I think our guys are just as talented and capable of winning us some championships. I'm not upset with Arch's decision. Not one bit.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

While Stetson is THE feel good story of the past century, I'm certain his playing while a high four star and a five star sit the bench played a great deal into Arch's decision to not choose UGA. That said, I hope Stetson follows up to become the feel good story of the millennium. My point is you cannot recruit five stars quarterbacks and not play them. Coach them up and let them play. They were rated highly for a reason. Wide receivers also like playing with them. Recruit highly ranked QBs, play them, and we will begin having highly skill receivers like Alabama and Ohio State commit and we can have really explosive offenses. This sixty-four year old disabled veteran and UGA alumni would love seeing such while sitting in my easy chair on Autumn Saturdays.

• Options
    GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2022

I like who we have in the QB room. I think any of these guys under Monken can do the job. Georgia is in a good spot with QBs.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 743 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

No harm. No surprise. No panic.

Full room of 4/5 stars and one that’s one a national championship.

• Options
    jrmdvm1jrmdvm1 Posts: 130 ✭✭✭ Junior

Sark does have a great offensive mind, but he is no longer the OC....he is the head coach. And, from what I've seen at UGA, Monken is also a great offensive mind. I wish the young Mr. Manning well. He is sure to be successful individually, and he will probably increase the success of Texas as a program. But, to me, Monken has shown that he can design plays that are "made for" the talent on the roster, and has adapted beyond expectations when we have had injuries to key players. I think that Arch would have had a higher ceiling under Monken, but I am sure he will do well at Texas. We have a very good QB room without Manning, and I am sure that even if we don't find a 2023 QB, UGA will find a very good one in 2024.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kconnorriley Why is there no talk of Dante Moore? Not that I have reason to believe we have a great shot at him. But he's the only '23 five-star QB who hasn't committed.. Is there any reason UGA would be less interested in him than some of the others mentioned in the story?

• Options
    DJG76DJG76 Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm thinking Arch opted for the sure bet/guaranteed starting position of Longhorns QB1....He's a smart kid with plenty of very wise advisors telling him that the competition at UGA would be brutal and Kirby could care less what your name is. I wise Arch well but he missed an opportunity at Georgia to face the best competition and to grow, improve and prove he's truly worthy of all the hype.

• Options
    TenzaiTenzai Posts: 14 ✭✭ Sophomore

Not a surprise since UGA has 3 talented QBs ahead of Arch. UGA has too many QBs this season which is a good problem.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2022

If those 5* QB's show they deserve to play, they will play. The Manning name does not guarantee success, nor does a 5* rating for High School accomplishents. It certainly doesn't hurt his chances, but nothing is a given, because of a name, or how many stars come with that name. I'm happy with 4 very talented QB's currently on the UGA team..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2022

I'm honestly not surprised Manning chose Texas. We really don't need him with the talent sitting in our QB room right now. I bet those guys are relieved. And Manning's decision makes perfect considering how good Sark is at developing a passing attack offense. But Manning will have some serious competition in the QB room.

Good luck to Arch...

As an aside...Texas is coming back....had the #5 recruiting class in 2022, and I expect Sark to recruit well going forward....especially with TX coming to the SEC. Texas might be a serious force in the SEC by the time they join in 2025.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hopefully we’ll have the chance to show him what he gave up. Seeing when and if Georgia plays the cows during his tenure will be very intriguing. Go Dawgs!!

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Dante Moore is headed to Oregon. Expect an announcement soon. https://gbmwolverine.com/2022/06/24/things-looking-bleak-michigan-football-dante-moore/

While UGA offered Moore they focused their efforts on Manning. As a result UGA never even made his top 5.

Note that Alabama never went all-in on Manning: they hedged their bets and ultimately just decided to accept a commit from Eli Holstein - a very similar guy to Carson Beck - rather than risk losing both. The only ones who put maximum effort on Manning were UGA and Texas. If you are one of the people who believe that UGA needs to sign a QB every year - which includes me - then it was a strange choice: Manning was a want for UGA, not a need, plus Manning was always going to favor a situation that minimized his competition for the starting job while maximizing his chances to throw the football - the same situations that his uncles Peyton and Eli chose - and that was never going to be UGA.

I am also one of those people who believes that going after 5 star QBs is worth it. Anyone who believes otherwise needs to look at where Clemson was before their string of three straight 5 star QBs (Tajh Boyd, Deshaun Watson, Trevor Lawrence) - no conference titles since 1991, no top 10 finishes since 1990 and no major bowl berths since 1982 - and look at where they are now. But you gotta know which ones to target. People twisted themselves into pretzels attempting to justify it but Manning choosing a defensive coach who doesn't like taking risks on offense never made any sense. It won't make sense for any QB who knows that all he needs to do is play a couple of seasons without getting hurt or falling flat on his face to be a first round pick in 3 years. Honestly, the 5 star QBs that UGA has the best shot at landing right now are dual threat guys who know that they need to spend a little while working on their passing game. He isn't a 5 star - yet - but honestly Pierce Clarkson is the guy that UGA should have targeted this year and he is headed to Louisville because they didn't.

• Options
    rconlanrconlan Posts: 19 ✭✭ Sophomore

Manning made a mistake. He'll learn.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks for that Dante Moore insight, thadec.

On your other points: While I would never pooh-pooh the value of a pipeline of 5-star QBs, I would say that UGA is less dependent than Clemson on QB play, both because of the style of our offense (so far) and our superior talent depth at multiple positions.

Interesting observation of yours regarding recruiting dual threats.