Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia marches on without Manning and questions about Kirby Smart quarterbacks

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited June 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia marches on without Manning and questions about Kirby Smart quarterbacks

ATHENS — Georgia football marches on with Kirby Smart locked on the 2022 season and any potential recruit that might lift the program.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2022

I disagree. Look, for better or for worse, Smart likes to have his offense be the way he wants his offense and that's NOT a heavy WR, "bomb", video-game-like offense. It's just not. The mistakes Smart has made in the past is obviously indicating to QBs that it'll be something that it won't and our mass exodus of players shows that it's been more harmful than good. It's not a coincidence that we didn't sign Lawrence (despite his proximity to Athens), we lost Fields, Newman didn't play a down, JT transferred, etc. Bennett may not be what the fans want, but it's the type of player that Smart wants.

Manning is where he needs to be and that's 100% fine as it won't interfere with our championship run. We don't need Vandagriff and Stockton thinking any more about transferring than they already are.

A QB is nothing without a strong supporting cast. Look at WRs. For the 2022 class, Alabama has the #4, #8 and #12 best WRs. We have #34 and #35. For 2021, Alabama has the #2, #5, #6 and #10 while we have... #64. If you don't have superstars catching the ball, what's the point of a great QB???

• rconlanrconlan Posts: 19 ✭✭ Sophomore

Open it up? Someone may want to watch last year's films with long bombs between Daniels and Bennett. And we had receiver injuries last year and still pulled off a national championship. And a QB room is stacked. So tired of hear this QB crap garbage.

• KBPKBP Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I hope this kid can actually play because the hype around him is UNREAL!!! There was similar hype around Bryce Young, who most every media member said would beat out Mack Jones. Well, we see how that played out and too much is being made about us "losing" a recruiting battle as if it hasn't happened before. We'll be fine without Manning.

• ChewDawgChewDawg Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

I prefer what we have in our QB room over Arch Manning. Maybe I'm the only one who's actually happy that Arch didn't choose GA. Our future QBs' stats are way better than Arch Manning's. I just think that Arch would have brought too much drama to GA. Imagine all the hype surrounding Arch, and he doesn't perform to his expectations....then how would that look for GA and future QB recruits? Based off his highlights and stats, I'd rate Arch a 3-star QB. His stats should be much, much better than what it is if he's really that great of a QB, especially when he's only playing in a 2A division. Call me crazy, but that's what I see regarding Arch Manning.

• thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

You really don't know what "open it up" means don't you? It means throwing the ball A. often and B. in difficult situations where the defense has the advantage. UGA never did A. when they were behind and as for B. well SB IV was instructed to either throw it away or get whatever field position he could running the football or throwing a short pass and then let the special teams and defense take over. You can do that when you have a good punter and great defense as UGA had last year. But usually that is a recipe for going 9-3 instead of winning a national title.

• David1David1 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No manning family member has ever won a NC. Georgia has 3. Arch better hope he doesn’t play Georgia during his tenure. Go Dawgs!!

1. No serious media member said that he would beat out Mac Jones, who had crazy stats playing for an injured Tua in 2019 before Bryce Young even set foot on campus. Also Mac Jones was the #9 QB in his class and the #162 player overall. So his beating out ANY true freshman QB, 5 star or not, was totally expected. And then Jones went on lead Alabama to a perfect season as a junior, leave early for the NFL draft and as a rookie throw 3800 yards while leading New England to the playoffs in the 2nd toughest division in football.
    2. Even if you don't agree with the "we would have won the title had Williamson and Metchie not gotten hurt in the postseason!" talk, Bryce Young nevertheless broke a ton of records, won the Heisman, led Alabama to the SEC title and had a lead with 8 minutes in the 4th quarter in the title game despite taking a beating from UGA's historically great defense. IF THAT IS NOT JUSTIFYING THE HYPE THEN WHAT IS?
  • khummelkhummel Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2022

I understand the logic, Mike, but disagree with such a strong emphasis on NIL ("Pay for Play"). I believe anytime you put money ahead of core values like working hard, earning your keep, being a consummate teammate, being the best you can be, serving others, passion in what you do and how you do it, etc., you are on a very slippery slope. In fact, as much as I've enjoyed this past natty season, I'll continue to embrace a 9-3 team that does it the right way. Call me old-fashioned, but the "ends justify the means" society in which we seem to now live makes my skin crawl. Go Dawgs!!

• GBALGBAL Posts: 739 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

M.

uga has two 5*’s and a 4* on their roster. To say KS can’t recruit QBs to Uga is absolute asinine Fake News

• jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

UGA has the best QB room. Probably why Manning was too scared to try.

• kenjames875kenjames875 Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman
    edited June 2022

I think the Dawgs will be fine. I didn’t think we really had a shot at Manning anyway. Our qb room is loaded and after this season, I believe qbs will view UGA differently. Just my opinion though.

• LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is the CORRECT answer! But I think Kirby wants to change how people see UGA, and after this season, I'm not sure Manning committing to Texas will matter so much.

Who knows, Sark may not even be there next year...there's always the chance.

• KBPKBP Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@thadec,

There were media members that said Young would beat out Jones. Whether or not they are serious media professionals is another issue. Young did not justify the hype as a true freshman because he did not unseat Jones, but since then, he's been one of the best college QB's I've ever seen. His not beating out Jones was not a knock against Young at all because Jones was no slouch and you covered his production very well. If Ewers at Texas plays very well, then Manning is not beating him out either as a true freshman in 2023. The experience elite incumbent starters have over elite true freshman is a BIG deal. It's just really hard for true freshmen QB's to unseat an incumbent starter.

edited June 2022

I understand. It is just that I don't regard uninformed or flat out wrong opinions to be valid. And I regard "content farm clickbait" stuff to be even less so even when I personally agree with it. But Alabama runs a complicated pro-style offense with former NFL head coach Bill O'Brien as offensive coordinator. Bryce Young was a dual threat high school QB - according to ESPN, Rivals and Scout not me - so there was no way Young was going to play as a true freshman unless there were no other viable options. Last season even with a year in the system, Young still struggled at times and very much benefited from being surrounded by NFL caliber upperclassmen - WR Metchie, WR Williamson, WR Bolden, RB Robinson, LT Mathis - to help him.

So Young didn't have a shot to play as a true freshman even if Mac Jones were a 5th round pick instead of a 1st rounder. O'Brien's system prioritizes knowing and being able to execute the playbook over raw talent. O'Brien's system isn't anything like Jim Chaney's in 2017 where Jake Fromm got to hand off almost 600 times while throwing it less than 300.

• KudzuKudzu Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited June 2022

Glad you said it! I have liked what I've seen of Arch Manning, especially character. That said, did I expect him to take QB to the next level at UGA? No. I'd guess he'd probably be very good, but actual results-to-date don't surpass those of most other QBs who have come to UGA already during the Kirby years (including several who left).

So, to me, it was less about the outright potential, than would the likely three-ring-circus of hype surrounding wherever he goes be a distraction or a boon? The former, I'd guess (but who knows). Now, as to recruiting others... I'm sure there will be a short-term hit (fingers-crossed there won't be).

Wish him the best at Texas, as he seems like a good guy... but not against the Dawgs, of course 😁