Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football podcast: Keeping things in perspective for UGA after Arch Manning news

SystemSystem Posts: 10,441 admin
edited June 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football podcast: Keeping things in perspective for UGA after Arch Manning news

Georgia football is the No. 1 topic every day on DawgNation Daily — the daily podcast for fans of the national champion Georgia Bulldogs. Catch up on everything happening with UGA athletics with host Brandon Adams and the DawgNation experts as they break down the latest Georgia football recruiting news and discuss coach Kirby Smart’s quest to keep the Bulldogs on top of the college football world. On episode No. 1,720 (June 24, 2022) of the podcast, Georgia fans can hear a discussion about what comes next after five-star quarterback Arch Manning picks Texas over Georgia.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2022

I said it in Feb/March after watching the basketball clips of Arch the day after attending the 7A Region 7 championship game between Norcross/Berkmar. Comparing Manning's bball clips to what I saw between Norcross/Berkmar was like comparing an 8th grade game to a high level varsity game. 

The football clip (Barstool sports account) of Arch is indicative of what the competition looks like at his private school level in LA. That clip was laughable. It further supports my contention that he will need extensive development to become a good CFB QB. His own HS Coach said on Rivals that the Isidor Newman WR's run 4.7 40's. Going to be quite the adjustment for Manning coming from HS to CFB.

Manning would be good to have. Not sure he is worth losing Beck and BVG over. If forced into action early it could get **** for TX/Manning. I hope losing out on Manning doesn't hurt recruiting Downs, Jarratt, Haynes, Wayne, etc etc.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sarkisian made it clear that Texas would have a run it up offense. And that’s apparently what Arch was wanting to hear.

Makes me wonder why they even considered Georgia in the first place.

Asking Kirby to sacrifice his defense and running game for a pass happy offense is a misled assumption.

Hey Kirby, we’ll come to Georgia, but you have to scrap your whole formula, the one that just produced a National Championship. We want Arch to have the most passing yards in CFB. We’re sure the rest of the team will feel the same way.

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited June 2022

Manning committed to Texas. Please take down his photos on DawgNation. Geez.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited June 2022

People said the same things about Peyton and Eli Manning back in the day. Peyton Manning wasn't even the #1 QB in his class: Josh Booty was. And Eli Manning was the #15 QB in his class behind such guys as Chris Simms (good but not great), J.P. Losman (bust), Kyle Boller (bust), Chris Massey (decent), Gary Brashears (bust), Chris Lewis (bust), Rex Grossman (great), Ell Roberson (bust), Cody Pickett (very good), A.J. Suggs (bust). Manning and Grossman were the only two guys from that class to be high NFL draft picks and at the time it was considered one of the best high school QB classes in years. If I am correct Ken Dorsey was the only guy from that class to win a national title.

Natural ability is important but it is clear that Manning has that. For a QB what is most important is having the right support system, for lack of a better term. You really can't have a better support system than a grandfather and 2 uncles who were NFL QBs. I am going to list some recent NFL QBs to better illustrate this point.

Cam Newton: father a youth circuit coach with a ton of connections, brother a former NFL player

Andrew Luck: father a former NFL QB

Russell Wilson: father a former MLB player

Pat Mahomes: father a former MLB pitcher

Jalen Hurts: father an influential Texas high school coach with a ton of connections

Kyler Murray: father former Texas A&M QB, minor league MLB player and currently runs a training academy for NFL QB prospects; uncle former MLB player

Absolutely none of those guys were considered "surefire NFL QB" when they came out of high school. (Mark Richt recruited Cam as a TE/DE and he wasn't the only one. Cam actually wanted to go to Tennessee after JUCO but Lane Kiffin, even after scouting him, decided not to offer him a scholarship.) But having close relatives that were coaches or pro athletes helped them navigate the system to get to the NFL and - in contrast with the likes of guys with off the charts natural ability like Ryan Leaf, Vince Young and JaMarcus Russell - handle being the face of an NFL franchise when they got there.

Of course, the only one of these guys to actually win a national title was Newton (and Hurts kinda sorta) and the Mannings didn't win any either. And national titles is what UGA fans should care about at this point. Saban won 5 national titles before he started his first successful NFL QB (Hurts, who despite getting benched at Alabama and ultimately transferring was nonetheless the only first former Saban QB to take an NFL team to the playoffs ... Mac Jones was the 2nd). Texas needs Arch Manning to elevate their program to the point where they can contend for and win a title like his uncle did for Tennessee (but his other uncle and his grandfather DID NOT DO for Ole Miss). UGA is already a top 3-4 program (along with Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson) and would actually have a better shot of winning a title in 2023 with a redshirt junior Carson Beck who knows the offense than with ANY true freshman.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Gotta be honest, when Brandon Adams stated that he thought Manning was coming to UGA, I could not help but laugh. Because UGA won a national title, Adams? News flash: teams win national titles every year. Such events are very special to the fans of the program that get it done but to everyone else it is Tuesday: routine business with no particular reason to favor one program that wins a title over another. Even if you were to pick from among the various programs that have won national titles since Manning was in junior high:

Ohio State - 1 title, 2 first round draft picks at QB (barring injury will soon be 3 with Stroud)

Clemson - 2 national titles, 2 first round QBs including a #1 overall, DJ Uiagalelei can still make it 3

LSU - national title, Heisman, #1 overall, home state school

Alabama - 6 titles. Heisman. 2 first round QBs and barring injury will soon be 3. Plus a guy who started 2 title games, lost his starting job, transferred out and was still an 2nd round QB.

Yeah, don't overrate the importance of national titles to QB recruits. They are WAY more heavily influenced by whether a team has a track record of sending QBs to the NFL. For example Deshaun Watson went to Clemson because Tahj Boyd was an All-American there, Trevor Lawrence followed because of Watson, and Uiagelelei and their current 5 star QB Cade Klubnik followed Lawrence etc. Similarly Justin Fields chose Ohio State after leaving UGA because of Dwayne Haskins, and then C.J. Stroud went there to follow Hurts. Then you had Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray, Jalen Hurts at Oklahoma, leading them to recruit back-to-back 5 stars Spencer Rattler and Caleb Williams. It is curious that a guy who has been covering college football for a living for so long doesn't know this already.

Bottom line: if you want big time QBs, you had better root for Carson Beck to have a huge career at UGA and be a 1st or 2nd NFL draft pick. If anything, UGA's building a program where Stetson Bennett can win a title makes star QBs less likely to consider UGA.

• Options
    SteelerDawgSteelerDawg Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ Junior

Can we move on and appreciate the blue chip QBs we have now?

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 380 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yup, there is this HS Qb in Mount Orab, Ohio, name is Drew Novak who has thrown for over 8,000 yards with a bunch of touchdowns, ran for like 2000 yards but is a 1 star but has way better stats than Arch and plays in a tougher class but isn’t on the radar because he hasn’t had the exposure from camps bc his family can’t afford it.

Drew vs

Arch

bet even Jeff Sentel doesn’t know about this guy!

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 380 ✭✭✭ Junior

I agree, Brandon is such a homer and not a logical college football observer that it is laughable. I use to love listening to this show when I first started back in 2017, but I only listen of Fridays with Jeff. If Jeff ever leaves, this show will get cancelled probably a few months later

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not sure what you thought I said about Arch but I never said he couldn't develop into a very good QB. You sure you aren't BigDawg61? Comment on stuff you make up and attribute to someone else?

I commented on the level of competition that Manning is honing his skills against. No where near the level of football (or basketball) that we see at the higher levels here in GA. If you saw the football clip in the Dawgnation Daily podcast you would've understood my comment.

Arch also hasn't done the Elite 11 QB challenge or 7 on 7 competitions. IF he is thrown in as a starter early he could easily struggle with the speed and physicality of CFB. As good as Peyton was he holds the record for interceptions by a rookie in the NFL. He clearly struggled with the step up from SEC (even as Heisman runner up) to the NFL.

Manning obviously has all the measurables. On top of that he's probably been dissecting pass coverages and pass route trees with his uncles for years. His understanding of the position is probably beyond any typical HS QB. I expect him to be a very good pro style CFB QB, in time, even though the CFB game has changed dramatically (athletically, speed of D, etc) since the bygone era of Eli and Peyton Manning.

BTW according to the ESPN, Eli was the 11th rated QB in '99.

• Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Hey Brandon - I agree that neither you nor I have any idea about the depth of the UGA QB room. However one person I know who has a pretty good idea is - Arch Manning. My guess is that he looked around and saw that it was going to be some pretty tough competition to unseat the players already on the roster. At TX he is all but assured of being the starter his sophomore season. So given the short 3 years he his looking to spend in college, there was no guarantee he would be the starter at GA by then! NIL may have played a part in his decision, but the path to being a starters probably played a bigger roll, in my estimation.