Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Riley: What Georgia football winning the National Championship meant to me

SystemSystem Posts: 10,561 admin
edited July 2022 in Article commenting
imageRiley: What Georgia football winning the National Championship meant to me

I realized pretty quickly that Georgia’s National Championship win wasn’t going to mean as much to me as it did to others. Not because I’m a caricature of some cynical media member that hates sports. But more so because as I looked to my left as Kelee Ringo was making his way to the endzone in Georgia’s victory over Alabama, the writer sitting next to me in the press box of Lucas Oil Stadium was full-blown **** crying.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    dawgfanathensdawgfanathens Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

Enjoyed reading it! I was alone at home, because people know me knew better leave me alone during that time. And I couldn’t watch afraid I would be the reason for us to lose that game after experiencing 2018, and SEC championship game. So I listened to the radio, it was worth it! Of course I watched it hundred times afterwards.

• Options
    ColoradoSkiDawgColoradoSkiDawg Posts: 35 ✭✭ Sophomore

Great read! I watched the game at my Denver, CO home with my wife (Ohio State grad), and eldest son (University of Colorado grad). We have Georgia and Ohio State flags out front on game days. My son worked for the Colorado football team and was able to travel with the team to all the PAC12 stadiums. He's a big UGA fan and have a picture of him with Mark Richt taken while doing college visits. Fall is our favorite time of year as we have the SEC, Big 10, and Pac 12 in our household.

I was a sophomore at UGA when they won it in 1980 and was at the Sugar Bowl when they lost to Penn State 2 years later.

Ringo's interception vanquished the dread built up from recent experiences when playing Alabama. It was quite an emotional moment as we jumped up and down in our living room. And I don't have to hear 1980 any longer when running into other SEC fans at the ski resorts. Finally!

• Options
    SCDawgFanSCDawgFan Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

Thank you Connor. It was great reliving the championship through a different perspective. I was home with my wife watching, but as I always do was texting with my 3 brothers in a group chat throughout the game. When Keelee intercepted that pass 41+ years of emotions came flooding through and my wife turned around and asked "Are you crying?". I was so proud of what this team accomplished, I was feeling affirmed in my years of pulling for the Dawgs, an I was so looking forward to reaching out to the people in my family that are either Auburn or Bama fans. Also, living in the Clemson area I could not wait to go to work the next day and crow!!

Thanks again for a great article!

• Options
    ItchyZItchyZ Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

Good read, young man.

• Options
    BuckdawgBuckdawg Posts: 14 ✭ Freshman

My parents were at the Sugar Bowl in 81 for the Natty & my wife & I were in Indy for the Natty. Lots of tears of joy from multiple generations from the Dawg fans. The Ringo Pick 6 is an iconic moment for Dawg fans! OMG!!!!

• Options
    USADawgUSADawg Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good read, Connor. Also understand the journalistic integrity involved and to not just be a "homer" for the team you cover, but man.. you could have snuck at least one bit of red/black into your outfit for the game. Just a tiny, little bit... 😉

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Watched the win in 81 with my dad, a huge Dawg fan as myself. We knew Kirby was building up to another one. The overtime loss to Bama was devestating to me but not so much to him. I guess when you're battling cancer you see things in a different light. The night we lost to BAMA in the regular season in 2020 dad drove himself to the hospital later that night with chest pains. He had suffered a heart attack. Probably trying to pull us through. He had been dealing with heart issues for the past 23 years, but he didn't make it through this time. The win this year was bitter sweet for me personally. I know he would have been elated. Go Dawgs!