Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

UGA legend raves about ‘explosive’ WR commit

SystemSystem Posts: 10,483 admin
edited July 2022 in Article commenting
imageUGA legend raves about ‘explosive’ WR commit

Terrence Edwards knows a good receiver when he sees one. Edwards, who is the only 1,000-yard receiver in UGA history, likes what he sees with Ny Carr, the 2024 receiver who pledged to the Bulldogs this week.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA ciommit Ny Carr is every bit as good as Benson who committed to Bama.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Outside of a very few guys such as George Pickens and AJ Green, UGA has traditionally struggled to sign 5-star receivers over the years. "

Here's the thing...the recruiting Star-rating system has only been around, about 22 yrs. Now, I realize most of the so-called journalists today are youngsters, still wet behind the ears, cocksure that they are right about everything...but, UGA has had quite a few big-time receivers...before the star-rating system, Rivals, ESPN recruiting , sports247, the internet...and in all probability, before this particular reporter was even born. LOL

These kids think the world began, when they graduated from College, LOL, Bless their heart

I noticed he didn't mention 2 of.the most obvious receivers. Lindsey Scott and Hines Ward. I'm not good with remembering names, but, there was most definitely other's. Oh yeah, Gene Washington. Anybody got any more?

If you had told one of us, we were rated as a 5 star, when I was playing in HS...we would of said, "oh yeah...why not a 10 star? What does that even mean?".

Truth is, the star system, only projects untapped potential. It prognosticates a HS player's ceiling. It has failed almost as much as it succeeded and it appears the Kirby Smart method is far more successful. Coaches are going to sit back and wait to see which players CKS is going to target, in order to swoop in and poach em before they commit to the "G". LOL

Yeah, UGA's had a lot of great receivers..."over the years"...if that term means more than 20 yrs. LOL Eric "Air" Zeier had to have somebody to air-it-out to.

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2022

Freddie Gilbert and Cleveland Gary are two off the top of my head.

Edited: I was thinking of Damien Gary not Cleveland Gary who was an RB.

Thanks, @BigDawg61 !

Go Dawgs!

• Options

Dang right!!! I forgot about those guys. That's what I'm talking bout. LOL

No stars for them. Fred might even had a recruiting ranking. He came along about the time that kind of thing was taking off. Gary actually transferred to U Miami after his Freshman season, where he became All American...if I'm not mistaken. Maybe, it was because Lindsey Scott beat him out. I don't remember exactly.

• Options

I was mistaken about Gilbert...I thought you were talking about Fred Gibson. Also, a darned good UGA receiver. UGA has had their fair share of great receivers and QB's. The fickle media and young UGA fans, just can't keep up. It's about, "what have you done for us lately". LOL

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options

Yes...yes...and.yes. I had forgotten all about Appleby and Arnold. Haven't heard those names in a long time. I used to watch "The Vince Dooley Show" every Sunday, after Church and before the NFL game, when I was a kid. That post brought back some good memories. Ray Goff and Matt Robinson were QB's in a duel QB system. UGA ran mostly out of "The Veer" at the time.

While taking a stroll down memory lane, thanks to your post, I ran across something I didn't realize. And, definitely didn't realize it at the time...

Richard Appleby was part of a History Making group of UGA Football players called "The Five".

Richard Appleby, Horace King, Chuck Kinnebrew, Clarence Pope and Larry West.

These 5 guys became the first Black players to earn a scholarship to UGA in 1971 and were dubbed "The Five".

Now, there's a story for ya, Dawg Nation.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fair share of good receivers....agreed....but great? just one thousand yard receiver since forever? BAMA has had 7-900 yard receivers in the past 4 years. Six went over 1,000.

• Options
    pepinpepin Posts: 52 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited July 2022

Kind of strange that folks aren't dealing with reality here.

1. Every P5 program recruits "good athletes" at every position. What UGA has been lacking is great ones at WR.
    2. Even had the recruiting rankings existed at the time, Hines Ward would not have been a 5 star. At the time he was under 6 feet, he also ran a below average 4.55 40, plus he was primarily a QB recruit anyway. Ward's NFL career was much better than his college or high school one.
    3. Also, the numbers don't lie. UGA has a single 1000 yard WR in its history (Terence Edwards; not AJ Green, Mecole Hardman or Hines Ward). It has produced 2 WRs who have had notable NFL careers (Ward and Green, not Edwards or Hardman, Lindsay Scott etc).
    4. As an illustration of how bad it is, Georgia Tech has a better WR tradition (Drew Hill, Charlie Rogers, Calvin Johnson, Demaryius Thomas, Darren Waller).

For the record, I am not expecting Jermaine Burton to become Jameson Williams at Alabama either. But the truth is that with the stats that he was likely to put up next season with SB IV getting him the ball and the focal point of the passing game almost certainly being TEs that have a shot at being 1st round picks in Bowers and Gilbert plus Washington a likely 3rd rounder, Burton would have been lucky to get drafted in the 7th round like Terry Godwin did, and Godwin was a 5 star recruit according to Rivals and Scout.

It is true that UGA won a title without elite players at QB and WR, but that was thanks to the historically great defense that A. the simultaneous decline at Tennessee, Florida, Auburn, FSU, UNC, Georgia Tech and Miami and B. the extra pandemic year allowed them to amass. If they are going to continue winning titles they are going to need to get better at the QB and WR position just like Alabama had to. Greg McElroy, AJ McCarron and Jake Coker won Saban's first 4 titles: 6th round, 5th round and undrafted. Julio Jones was the only notable WR in the McElroy/McCarron era too. Since then it has been Jalen Hurts, Tua Tagaviola and Mac Jones at QB to go with a WRs like Calvin Ridley, Amari Cooper, Metchie, Henry Ruggs, Jaylen Waddle and Devonta Smith.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2022

Talk about a stroll down memory lane, made me think of my H.S football days from 1977-1980. Amp was a Senior QB my Freshman year at Cedar Shoals High. Next QB in line was John Miller, who played LB at Miss. St. Lol he was a tough 1. Then came Homer Jordan, we all know what he helped accomplish at Clemson. My Senior year it was a southpaw QB named Tyrone Davis, quick as a cat, he would also play at Clemson, as a DB..GoDAWGS! Side note* personally, and a lot may disagree. But IMO, Jimmy Payne was the best player to play at CSHS, had the honor of being his teammate for 2 years, was a great athlete, and an even better person (RIP ol' Jaguar). And CSHS produced some good ones over the years.. Jeff Pyburn, the Nash brothers ( Nathaniel and Stanley), Jay Russell (Erk's son), Ricky Dover, played TE at Auburn, too many to list.