Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart tells tale of turning down pro football opportunity and importance of relationships

SystemSystem Posts: 10,483 admin
edited July 2022 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart tells tale of turning down pro football opportunity and importance of relationships

ATHENS — Kirby Smart makes no attempt to glorify his Georgia football playing career, and in fact, he often downplays just how good he was while with the Bulldogs.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith

Good story, Mike. I always wondered what happened to Smart in the NFL. I was in the Navy, on Sea Duty at the time and wasn't able to keep up with teams and players like I could on Shore Duty.

What is Muschamps post-UGA story? And Bobo, for that matter.

The best I can remember, fans were critical of Bobo, when he played @ UGA, too...despite his success. Kinda like Bennett. Only...back then,, you didn't have every Tom, Dick and Harry weighing in on Social media. LOL. Maybe that's why Smart brought him on board. To work on Bennett's mental game. And, Bobo may have come on board to be tutored in play-calling by Monkin. Win-win.

• Options
    GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

This is a lesson for all in networking.......you do not need some fancy degree, you need relationships! This is how the world of business turns!

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 415 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Great story, but with all the mispellings and errors it was painful to read.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigDawg61 Yeah, I would love to know Will's.

It's always great talking to Kirby to get stories like this that few others take the time to tell.

I appreciate all the great feedback, we've dug deep to deliver content in a slow time of year.

Hope everyone had a great 4th and enjoys this month, SEC Media Days are coming up!

DawgNation readers are the best!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I got a story for you. I just ran across an article that wasn't even on my radar, back in the '70's, while discussing UGA rich WR crop over the years. It involves Richard Appleby...a WR recruited in '71. Below is an excerpt of my conversation with another Dawg Nation member.....

While taking a stroll down memory lane, thanks to your post, I ran across something I didn't realize. And, definitely didn't realize it at the time...

"Richard Appleby was part of a History Making group of UGA Football players called "The Five".

Richard Appleby, Horace King, Chuck Kinnebrew, Clarence Pope and Larry West.

These 5 guys became the first Black players to earn a scholarship to UGA in 1971 and were dubbed "The Five".

Now, there's a story for ya, Dawg Nation."

End of excerpt.