Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Who are likely to be the Dawgs’ breakout stars this season?

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited July 2022 in Article commenting
imageWho are likely to be the Dawgs’ breakout stars this season?

Picking which Dawgs will be the coming season’s breakout stars can be tricky.

Read the full story here

Comments

• GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bill, great article as always. I enjoyed reading your choices for breakout players for this upcoming season. I do think that WR and RB will be where some really great players will shine this year - of course the TE position is crazy talented and there will be some exciting highlights there as well. It is awesome to think that with the reloading the defense has to do, that we are talking so much about the offense and the potential greatness there. Both sides of the ball will be loaded this year and I think the Georgia team will be right in the thick of the playoffs at season's end. It truly is great to be a Georgia Bulldog! GO DAWGS!

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I always look forward to your articles, Bill.

If you had to guess, who would be your number one choice as an answer to your question?

It is truly strange that Stetson Bennett is in the conversation, but we all understand why. Maybe he'll win the Heisman and be the breakout player of the century in this, his twelfth year of college, if I'm counting right.

Like most everyone I have several friends who are upfront, vocal, anti-Stetson in their sentiments. He gets about zero credit from them for accomplishing what they continually said he couldn't do which was take us to the National Championship Game and win it. They thought a successful postseason was beyond him, and still think so in spite of his two MVP awards.

Other than those who have as you mentioned already broken out we have a roster filed with candidates.

Go, Dawgs!

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Another fantastic article, Bill. Always enjoy your takes! 👍👍👍

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2022

"Breakout?" Expect numerous players to elevate their play this season. Too much talent to not have "the next man up" be good players. BUT to expect anyone to duplicate what BBowers did last year is expecting too much and unrealistic. It might be unrealistic to expect BBowers to do this year what he did last year. How many newcomers have been 1st team AA in their 1st year at UGA? Repeat AA's?

"If he can avoid injury", says it all about both Milton and ASmith. So far they have not demonstrated that they can. Can they with an even heavier workload? I hope they can. But I wouldn't bet on it. The good news is that on UGA they don't have to. There is ample talent to be successful with the next man up. With 2 exceptions.

It is bad form to talk about injuries. All teams have them. They are part of football. But there are 2 key defenders that cannot miss significant time this season if UGA hopes to repeat. You know who they are.

SBIV is a good QB. With the O weapons on the team he has the potential to be a very good college QB. SBIV has to improve his accuracy and use of the whole field. Can he avoid the Tony Romo type meltdowns at the big moments that he has experienced in the 2 losses to AL? Hopefully recovering 2 of his 3 fumbles vs AL has flipped his big game script and helps him be more clutch in upcoming big games this year.

Right or wrong, "objective" outsiders and CFB "experts" have ranked him lower than UGA fans have. It depends on how you view him. Were his passes to Pickens and Mitchell in the CFBCG and to Bowers vs MI accurate passes or circus catches by future NFL players? That perception, his lack of stature (and arm strength?) and the turnovers vs AL are what keep his rating down in outsider's eyes. With 3 years of college starting experience and 3 years in the Monken system, SBIV has the opportunity to silence all his critics this season.

"Pop" looks like the next great UGA ILB. With the position in good hands for the foreseeable future.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Another fun article Bill and I agree that Arik Gilbert could be our break-out player next year. If he continues to get back into shape he will a force that no team can handle. He may be our most talented offensive weapon…..even better than Brock, but Arik needs to be 100% committed and ready for prime time both physically and mentally. I’m sure Todd Monken is licking his chops and my money says we will see a few plays with Arik, Brock and Darnell all on the field. Go Dawgs!!!