Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

3 burning questions 2022 SEC Media Days: Is Georgia football losing momentum?

2»

Comments

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ok, I will admit, I'm a little more put out than I was originally was that Arch didn't choose UGA after just watching Arch throw it 70 yards in the air to a receiver in practice. Didn't see that on any of his HS film. LOL!

But seriously though, I don't believe we were every his Numero Uno. It's not like he changed his mind on us. He's been high on Texas since childhood.

I don't care if he wins the Heisman or sets passings records at Texas(all the best to him) as long as it doesn't affect UGA winning the SEC and the NC. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

To my recollection I have never disparaged a HS kid's decision to go play elsewhere. I know we have have lost some kids that would have made us better and I have been sincerely dissappointed on occassions and expressed that feeling, but nothing spoken angrily about a kid because they didn't choose UGA. I just try to give honest opinions based on what I see. FOr example I hope we get the Sayin kid. I think he will be a star wherever he goes! If he pciks some place else I'll be dissapointed for us, but not angry at him.

That said, Haynes was highy recruited by about everybody which means they see something in this kid that I don't. They're probably right. I'm probably wrong. It's hard to accurately assess HS talent and I don't claim to have any insight into that job other than, I look at alot of HS tape on these potential recruits. I look for the WOW factor. Something that tells me this kid is different than all the thousands of kids out there that could run straight through a gaping hole untouched. for a TD. Show me something on your tape that says, I'm special.

I would just challenge anybody to objectively watch BRanson Robinson's HS tape or say Kenny McIntosh's film and then tell me you'd rather have Haynes instead of them. Not that you wouldn't like to have him, but that you would choose him oer the other two, because he's just that special looking. He just doesn't look(again to me) to be up to their level. CAn he develop to Kenny's level? TIme will tell, and if he does good on him.

I'm certainly not stopping him from being great by offering my opinion. And I'm defintely not crying over spilled milk as some are.

I think,, and again just my opinion, that Some are upset that he chose BAMA over us, not because of his WOW factor, but that BAMA edged us out again on a kid and he was a legacy. Hum?

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@reddawg1

Red...I think you get it. I agree on pretty much, everything you posted.

Here's my philosophy on recruiting. It's like the military recruiting for elite fighting forces, such as, SEALS, Green Beret, Airborne Rangers, etc.. "UGA is not for everybody". Now, we've all heard that before. Let me tell you what I think it means.

Even the elite fighting groups, previously mentioned, don't get it right everytime, when they vet recruits. They are very selective in the process and dig a lot deeper than the obvious qualities. Still, they wind up cutting ⅓ to ½ of the guys they recruited, when they find underlying weaknesses that don't line up with their standard and aren't identified in the vetting process. They want the cream of the crop and the cream rises under pressure.

That's why you see guys bailing on UGA every year, even some considered to be top prospects, like Brenton Cox (currently @Fla), etal..

Smart uses a similar vetting process that takes more than just talent and potential into account. He dives into how a kid is handling school, what do his teammates think of him, does he lead from the front, how does he act when he thinks "nobody's looking", does he put in the extra work it takes to develop his natural talent into greatness, does he love the game and his teammates, etc.. All of these things, give Smart an idea of how hard a kid can be pushed and if he is capable of meeting or exceeding "team standards".

I've got news for ya, there are a lot of very talented kids playing HS Football, that think they can reach greatness on talent alone and don't respect their teammates contribution to their success. Those are the guys Smart is not interested in and we're talking about 4 and 5 star players.

A prime example of this is Zack Evans. Now, Zack isn't the only one and I have hope that he will have a change of attitude and eventually develop into the player he was meant to be. He's just an example. Smart was forced to turn his back on Zack after he exhibited qualities that were contrary to Bulldog Standards, in the Texas State HS Playoffs. Saban had to cut a top RB several years ago for attitude reasons, that's playing RB for the NO Saints today. Dabo Sweeny cut Derrien Kendrick, 2 years ago for "attitude & commitment issues". Kendrick, as you know, wound up at UGA, straightened himself out and was drafted in the 6th round this year.

The thing is this....for the upper tier teams, a lot more than talent goes into whether you want to sign him or not. I don't care how many stars he has after his name, on the recruiting boards. The basic question you want to ask yourself is, "will this kid make our TEAM better or will he be a disruption to harmony?". It's just that simple and complicated.

So, when you see teams like UGA or BAMA take a pass on a 4 or 5-star player....they have at least 1 good reason. Much more value is placed on "The Team" than "The Individual". In fairness to all of the kids on your team, that have met the standards and demands that you placed on them, you have to protect them from disruption and mediocrity.

So...good for UGA...good for Smart. Nothing personal. I'd like to see all HS kids excel....but, UGA's not for everybody.