Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Nick Saban frames 2021 Alabama as ‘rebuilding year’

2»

Comments

• pepinpepin Posts: 52 ✭✭ Sophomore

Alabama draft picks off the 2020 team:

1 6 6 Jaylen WaddleWRMiami Dolphins

1 9 9 Patrick Surtain IICBDenver Broncos

1 10 10 DeVonta SmithWRPhiladelphia Eagles

1 15 15 Mac Jones*QBNew England PatriotsPro Bowl (2021)

1 17 17 Alex LeatherwoodOTLas Vegas Raiders

1 24 24 Najee Harris*RBPittsburgh SteelersPro Bowl (2021)

2 5 37Landon DickersonCPhiladelphia Eagles

2 6 38Christian BarmoreDTNew England Patriots

6 91 93Deonte BrownGCarolina Panthers

6 38 222Thomas FletcherLSCarolina Panthers

They lost their starting QB, starting RB, 2 starting WRs, 3 starting OLs, starting NT and best CB.

Mac Jones (QB) and Najee Harris (RB) were Pro Bowlers.

Jones, Harris, Jaylen Waddle, DeVonta Smith, Christian Barmore and Patrick Surtain were on the All-Rookie team.

Jones, Harris, Waddle, Smith, Barmore, Surtain, Alex Leatherwood and Landon Dickerson were starters.

Waddle, Smith, Jones, Leatherwood, Harris, Dickerson and Barmore were starters on playoff or winning teams.

So you tell me how a team could lose that combination of quality and quantity and NOT be in a rebuilding state the next year?

Meanwhile UGA's losses:

1 29 29Eric StokesGreen Bay PackersDB

2 13 3Tyson CampbellJacksonville JaguarsDB

2 18 50Azeez OjulariNew York GiantsLB

3 28 92Monty RiceTennessee TitansLB

3 30 94Ben ClevelandBaltimore RavensG

3 33 97Tre' McKittyLos Angeles ChargersTE

5 25 169Richard LeCounteCleveland BrownsDB

6 6 190Trey HillCincinnati BengalsC

7 13 241Mark WebbLos Angeles ChargersDB

Yes, UGA lost guys, but:

A. no one in the first 20 picks (Bama had 5 as well as #24)

B. no skill players (QB, WR, RB) or OTs/DTs meaning the guys that UGA did lose were easier to replace. UGA did lose Eric Stokes, but a huge difference between going at #6 and going at #29 like Surtain

C. The big difference: not a single Bulldog rookie was a Pro Bowler or on the All-Rookie team. And only Stokes, Campbell and Ojuarli were starters. Only Stokes was on a good team.

You can compare the quantity of what Alabama and Georgia lost (10 versus 9) but you absolutely cannot compare the quality. Alabama put 8 guys in the 2021 draft that - barring injury - will be in the league 10 years, with most of those at positions that have the biggest impact on the game (QB, WR, CB, LT, RB). Sending a pair of rookie starting CBs aside, UGA provided mostly backups and developmental players at far less critical positions. And with UGA, even essentially losing their starting secondary to the NFL was compensated for by perhaps the best front 7 in the modern era (i.e. scholarship restrictions and academic requirements stopping the likes of Alabama, Ohio State and Oklahoma from having 120 kids who can barely read and write). By contrast, Alabama replaced Jones, Waddle, Smith, their 3 OLs and especially Najee Harris with clearly lesser players (don't let his 1300 rushing yards fool you ... Brian Robinson will never start a game in the NFL other than being forced to do so via injury ... both White and Cook were better despite putting up lesser numbers).

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I Agree.. I think this is actually a "rebuilding year" for Saban. Not, last year.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All coaches should declare EVERY season a “rebuilding year”. That way you have an excuse for a lousy season and take a bow when you have a great season. Go Dawgs!!!

• BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I still cannot believe he said that. Admitting that he has to rebuild, instead of reload, like Kirby Smart.

• DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

I have come to believe Nick Saban and Paul Finebaum Show regular, "Legend" are one and the same person. They both have a new excuse for losing to UGA in January, every day. Has anyone every seen them in the same room at the same time? I rest my case.

Saban = "Legend"

• amacdad101amacdad101 Posts: 218 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

My goodness..excuses, excuses, excuses....non stop, whining, moaning, groaning, weeping and gnashing of teeth....Just admit it...YOU LOST THE GAME...plain and simple. He just can't get past the simple math...33 IS MORE THAN 18. And in the words of Erk Russell....Just One More Time!!!!Go Dawgs!!!