Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Oregon Ducks know bad run defense won’t fly against powerful Georgia

SystemSystem Posts: 10,435 admin
edited August 2022 in Article commenting
imageOregon Ducks know bad run defense won’t fly against powerful Georgia

ATHENS — If there’s one thing that would ruffle Dan Lanning’s feathers as the new Oregon Ducks head coach, it would be a poor run defense.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

"The Ducks were ranked No. 3 when they lost to No. 23 Oregon by a stunning 38-7 count last Nov. 20."

You mean they lost to Utah.

• Options
    pepinpepin Posts: 52 ✭✭ Sophomore

Oregon shocks the world by upsetting Ohio State.

Utah does the same by beating Oregon not once but twice.

Utah and Ohio State played a titanic Rose Bowl that the Buckeyes won 48-45 with a last second field goal.

And ... nobody cared about any of this because playoff.

Also, while the transfers will help against Pac-12 competition, stopping elite running games requires guys with Jordan Davis, Travon Walker and Devonta Wyatt type ability. Or at least 2nd round picks maybe.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ohio St's defense was plum awful in a few games(like they didn't even show up awful)last year. Oregon, Michigan and Utah all put up over 40 points on them. Shameful for their good recuiting.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2022

Dan Lanning can recognize talent and it sounds like OR has improved its DL to go with a LB core that contains two experienced 5* LBs. In addition, new coaches Lanning and Lupoi can coach up talent.

In the end it will come down to Bo Nix. Has he outgrown the yips? Can he thoroughly execute the O with precision, accuracy and drive extending runs? Nix moving the chains with his legs could keep OR in this game longer than UGA fans are comfortable with.

This is not the same team that lost to Utah. IF Nix puts it together in his 3rd year as a starter OR can be a very dangerous team.

On the flip side, how does SBIV perform in what is expected to be a close game for up to 4Q's? Can he be patient, not force the ball and avoid big game mistakes? Has he settled into Monken's O after 2 plus years of starter reps? Can he command the O, utilize the whole field and many weapons and deliver the knockout?

Should be a great game and interesting matchup; PAC12 style vs SEC style.

• Options

Ohio State fired their DC and brought in the guy who had a top 5 defense at Oklahoma State in 2021 for a reason.

I am not going to overrate Oregon just because they are UGA's big OOC game this year. Oregon isn't as talented as the Notre Dame or Clemson teams that UGA played OOC the past few years, and they certainly aren't the caliber of team that could get through SEC play with less than 3 losses. Maybe Lanning will make them a true contender in 2-3 years, but right now Oregon will just be a quality nonconference win against a team that isn't at UGA's level just like Michigan was in the playoff (and Cincinnati to Alabama ... remember Cincinnati beat Notre Dame by 2 scores in South Bend last season). I am going to put it another way ... I am viewing Oregon the same way that I would if they were opening the season against LSU, Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio State or Clemson instead of UGA: a team that has a shot at going 12-2 and finishing in the top 10 if everything goes well for them, but is just as likely to go 8-5 (like UGA did in Kirby Smart's first year) if they don't. Granted, having 4 year starter Bo Nix instead of true freshman Jacob Eason makes 8-5 less likely than 12-2, but that doesn't mean that they can knock off a legit playoff contender who will have 10-11 players taken in the 2023 draft (not only did 0hio State have only 6 but only 1 of them was on defense ... a 5th round DE) like UGA.

• Options
    GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lanning will be a great HC, but it will take time for him to instill SEC foundations in the OR team. I don't think that totally happens this year. I think UGA is catching OR at just the right time to win this fairly easily in the late 3rd or 4th quarters. The 1st half should be competitive. I look forward to how Monken is going to showcase the TEs. I hope he puts 4 on the field at certain times (red zone, 3rd downs). Talk about mismatches! LOL. Ready to start the season! GO DAWGS!

• Options
    TailgatesmatterTailgatesmatter Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

Here is hoping that the entire Bulldogs team thinks the same way as the fan base here. Cristobal brought the SEC team format to the Ducks years ago. He is just a terrible game day coach...I mean TERRIBLE. I think that issue has been fixed.

Go Ducks.

• Options

Sorry fella. You don't get skunked twice in the same year by Utah because of gameday coaching. Gameday coaching isn't the reason why of the 6 draft eligible players UO had last year only one was taken (3 more got UDFA contracts). By contrast every single UGA player who was invited to the combine or was given priority on UGA's pro day and predraft workouts was taken: 15 guys.

UO could probably compete with 12 of 14 SEC schools if good Bo Nix shows up. (Now bad Bo Nix is another story, but UO actually has a good OL by Pac-12 standards - Auburn DID NOT by SEC standards - so that means you guys are going to see the good Bo Nix way more often.) But Alabama and Georgia are on another level. You will find out in about a month.

Incidentally, I am not a UGA homer. Quite the contrary, I spend a lot of time on here debunking UGA fans' delusions of grandeur. (These guys thought Jake Fromm was going to be the #1 pick in the draft and believe that Stetson Bennett IV should be a Heisman candidate. They don't seem to be aware that in modern football QBs are expected to throw for way more than 200 yards per game, even dual threat guys who rush for 1000 yards.) So trust me when I say that Oregon will be no more able to block UGA's front 7 or consistently penetrate UGA's OL than, say, Arkansas, Ole Miss or Kentucky (and those teams are no slouches ... they won 9 and 10 games last year). The reason for you is the same as it will be for them: UGA's 4 and 5 star players at those positions versus your 3 and 4 star ones.

• Options
    Joe31Joe31 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Welcome to Dawgnation. Nice to hear the opinion of a Duck fan here.