Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

ESPN lays out why Oregon opener is key for Georgia football College Football Playoff return

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited August 2022 in Article commenting
imageESPN lays out why Oregon opener is key for Georgia football College Football Playoff return

We are now less than 10 days from the start of Georgia’s season. And the biggest game on Georgia’s schedule for this season is very likely the season-opener against Oregon.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I remember last year there was a lot of discussion about how the Dawgs could make the playoff even if Clemson beat them. The way the season unfolded, I suspect that it would now be 42 years since the last title if Clemson had won. Just sayin'.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Connor, I generally enjoy your articles, but come on man. You don't need to include the word "football" after the word "Georgia" in every single headline. 99% of the people coming to this site are looking for football articles. It's generally assumed that, unless otherwise specified, any given article will be about football. And as if that weren't enough, each article is always accompanied by a photo making it clear which sport is being discussed. Lastly, the headlines typically already include terms that are specific to football. Take the one above, which includes the phrasing, "Georgia football College Football." It's just clunky and unnecessary.

• Options
    ancelyancely Posts: 80 ✭✭✭ Junior

last year.. Pickens, Daniels, Ratledge hurt. Everyone was worried about the offense. WE WON IT! We Scored 39 points per game? If Kirby kept his foot on the gas we would have scored a lot more and given up less points. I think giving guys experience is better than winning 50 to 10? Our best player suspended after gader game. Always somethings to overcome. GO DAWGS!!

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited August 2022

No, this isn't true. Look at the stats, OK? UGA did not have a 1000 (or even 900) yard rusher, a 1000 (or again 900) yard receiver or a 3000 yard passer. UGA "scored 39 points per game" because the defense held teams under 7 points a game. They forced a lot of turnovers and 3-and-outs that gave UGA a ton of short fields. UGA also had so many possessions that there was no pressure to score on any one of them. So if it was a third and long - or even a third and short deep in your own territory - no big deal. UGA would run up the middle and punt. They would let their defense get them the ball back in more favorable situations. It was a "no pressure ... with that defense that we have we will get a lot more favorable situations to punch it in eventually" attitude.

The idea that other teams only scored more because they were throwing the ball in the 4th quarter to pad their stats is silly. No one risks injuries to their starters like that. If they were throwing the ball in the 4th, it was because they didn't have a lockdown defense like UGA's or didn't have a big lead.

There is no evidence that UGA's offense could deliver if another team put pressure on them to consistently generate points. The only time all season that they were in a situation like that was the SECCG and they didn't handle it well.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Good grief. The reason why if UGA loses to Oregon they won't get into the playoff if they lose in the SECCG - or any other game - has nothing to do with UGA's allegedly weak schedule. (Which may not be so weak if Kentucky maintains their success, Napier puts out a more consistent and disciplined Florida team, plus South Carolina and Tennessee make their expected year 2 jumps, and if Mississippi State actually plays like a team where nearly everyone in their 2 deep is a returning starter or upperclassman.) Instead, it has everything to do with the fact that no 2 loss team is EVER going to make a 4 team playoff. That is why UGA didn't make the playoff in 2018 (the only reason why the whining over what an injustice it allegedly was didn't reach the "LSU jumped us!" nonsense in 2007 was because UGA also lost the bowl game). It is also why a mid-major was chosen last year over Ohio State's record-breaking offense: Ohio State's only losses were to Oregon and Michigan.

That is the best reason for retaining the 4 team playoff: it makes the regular season meaningful. The only reason why a weak schedule is a problem is when the committee has to weigh multiple 1 loss teams against each other. But UGA is an SEC team. The next 1-loss SEC team not to make the playoff will be the first. This was even the case in 2017 when Alabama didn't win the SEC West. Note that this courtesy was not extended to 11-1 DEFENDING NATIONAL CHAMPIONS Ohio State in 2015.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2022

That's an astute observation you make in the end there. I was racking my brain trying to think of an example from last season where Georgia was trailing in a high pressure situation and the offense, oh I don't know, let's say drove for a couple of touchdowns to reclaim and expand their lead as time was running out. I mean there's gotta be...hmm... nope. Not a single time. Good call.