Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

As more Power 5 head coaching jobs open, Georgia football very happy to have Todd Monken

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited September 2022 in Article commenting
imageAs more Power 5 head coaching jobs open, Georgia football very happy to have Todd Monken

Georgia football offensive coordinator Todd Monken has become a very important name to know in college football.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A matter of time and Monken will become a head coach somewhere. He pretty much runs the UGA team now. Tell Josh B to double his salary....lolol.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes, we will eventually lose Monken....I just hope it's later rather than sooner. I look forward to seeing how his offense unfolds later in the season when the Dawgs finally face some serious adversity.

I wouldn't touch the Nebraska job with a 10 foot pole! Arizona State is only slightly more appealing.

Geoff Collins has done a pretty good job recruiting at Tech, but I don't think he's going to be a great coach. Auburn has failed miserably on both counts with Harsin. His days are numbered.

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 387 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This is the real worry for UGA. That guy is the best. I'm sure the lure of 10 Mil a year is very strong. But, he's had head coaching jobs before. It's not always wonderful - if you want to win, stay with UGA. I always thought David Cutcliffe figured it out - go to a crappy school, where they will be happy with 7-8 wins a year and just make money. I wouldn't touch the Auburn job when it comes up.

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gotta get used to assistants getting plucked for better opportunities as HC. Definitely don’t want to see him every leave (same goes for Muschamp, Schumann, etc) but as long as Kirby keeps the program at this level, other programs are going to poach the talent. Like Bama in many ways including losing solid assistants. Can’t imagine he would take the Auburn or GT gig but maybe the Arizona State. Hoping he stays but if not, let’s ride that horse to another championship.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Muschamp isn't going anywhere in P5 as he left South Carolina and Florida as smoldering disaster areas (both to UGA's benefit). No university president or athletics director is going to be able to sell the "third time's a charm!". Schumann will likely get a job within the next 5 years though.

As for Monken, he was always more likely to head back to the NFL as an offensive coordinator - hoping to become a head coach down the line - than get a college job. Beyond Schumann and Monken,  Bryan McClendon is next man up as he has 4 years experience as an offensive coordinator, in addition to his known experience as a recruiter. If Georgia Tech isn't already in talks with his agent they aren't even trying to win.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2022

Yep, I scrolled down here to make the same point. Not sure what it is (so obviously I could be wrong) but I've gotten the impression that he's not all that hands on with recruiting, even as an assistant. I think the bigger threat would be for the NFL to come calling once again. Here's hoping we get at least a couple more years before that happens.

• Options
  • Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Monken is gone after this year unless UGA offense tanks completely, which is highly unlikely. His name is being thrown around too much and people will say, "look what he did with Stetson Bennett." That alone will get him a P5 job. (Or, hopefully an NFL coordinator job so we don't have to play against him). As for the others, agree that Schumann is probably soon to leave, but Muschamp and Bobo likely to be around awhile, unless they get asked to go to some small colleges somewhere.

As for B-Mac, until and unless he starts getting some recruiting wins, I think he's going to be in Athens for a minute. His wide receivers are OK, but certainly not elite. I know he's been giving "interim" opportunities and folks SAY he's the next guy but so far, the proof is not in the pudding. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Monken had a 13-25 record as HC of Southern Miss. He has had more success as an OC.

Hopefully, he'll decide to stay with what he's had the most success with. Fingers crossed...

• Options
    jrmdvm1jrmdvm1 Posts: 130 ✭✭✭ Junior

Here's hoping that Coach Monken decides that he truly enjoys the experience of coaching at UGA. Unlike the NFL, college football offers so many variations on creating a successful offense because of the changing players with their different skillsets, as well as the many different defensive schemes you get to face every week, as well as your opponents players changing significantly from year to year. This must be more stimulating to him than what the NFL can offer. And at UGA ( at least while Kirby keeps evaluations and recruiting anywhere close to the current level ), he has the luxury of very good players at every position, including the defense he gets to face in practice. In addition, he has an outstanding supporting cast of fellow coaches and analysts. I am sure by now that he knows that his "expertise" is as an OC, and I don't think that it would be possible to find anywhere that offered ( other than money ) a better situation in which to practice his craft. He is paid pretty well to do something he loves and is very, very good at doing, in a place where he will be given any support he needs or even wants. I know that if I was good enough to be a part of that coaching team, it would very hard to lure me away. Sometimes job satisfaction is worth a fortune. While I don't know the good and bad of being a college or NFL HC or OC, Monken has been there already and should know. I have a hard time imagining his being at a better place. Unfortunately, he has first-hand knowledge about being an OC and HC at both the college and NFL levels, and so he can imagine what that would be like. I hope ( selfishly so ) that when the "greener pastures" offers come along, that when he imagines about what those offers could be, he also remembers the "pitfalls" that are also contained in those offers.

• Options
    GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Such great chemistry with this staff - I know if sounds cliche, but they really do seem like a family. Hopefully Monken will be like so many coaches before him and look around at what he has in Athens and want to permanently plant roots there. Quality of life is important and Athens can offer that and more! GO DAWGS!

• Options

OK ... so they blanked out my post. Could they have not just deleted it? Also, blaming B-Mac for failing to reel in big time WR recruits is unfair. B-Mac has to show these recruits starting flanker Kearis Jackson and his 6 catches for 86 yards in 3 games in his last year of eligibility and tell them "that is you in 4 years."

UGA can't offer top 100 WR the opportunity to put up big numbers - for all the hype about McConkey he is only #145 among WRs nationally where even UGA washout Matt Landers is #73 at run heavy Arkansas - or big money and stardom in the NFL (without being a rare Pickens or Hardman type specimen, and even they weren't 1st round picks). Mystifying why people think UGA can recruit 5 star WRs and RBs with an offense that doesn't give them the same opportunity that the UGA defense gives its 5 star LBs, DLs and DBs: a shot at putting up huge numbers and being high draft picks.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2022

If Sarkisian can be "rehabilitated" there is absolutely no reason that Muschamp can't land another P5 job after becoming an integral part of an (the?) elite CFB program. Being an elite recruiter alone could get him another shot.

Monken going back to the NFL as an OC does make the most sense. Monken wants no part of the recruiting demands that accompany a CFB coaching job. Even at UGA his recruiting burden is lightened by other staff members.

B-Mac needs to be a successful OC before he gets a HC job IMO. Bobo is the OC in waiting.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Totally Agree !! And Quality Of Life gets even More important as you age !! Though Monken isn’t really an old man he’s not a spring chicken either. Also his Wife will have some serious input on his decisions to. YES when you can make millions of $$ stacked high I understand that’s important. But he’s not exactly making chicken feed at Georgia either !! AND I’m pretty confident that as long as he continues to be successful UGA will be more than happy to shell out even more. Like I said in my earlier post when you get his age you start wanting to take a pause and smell the roses a little more. Money isn’t Everything at that point. And I maintain that he will want to See for himself what HIS Offense will look like with Beck or BVG or Gunner after Stets is gone. Off topic but Beck is looking pretty Dawg gone sharp !! And I can imagine Coach Monken would want to see what Beck would look like as The Man next year !! Last if the Dawgs can win the Natty again this year or even number two in the final polls you can bet Coach Monken will get yet another hefty pay raise !! As will many of the Coaches on both sides of the ball !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

2 mill a year without really having to recruit and deal with the pressure of hiring and staffing and the pressure of turnng a losing program around sounds like a deal to me. Money can't buy happiness.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    DJG76DJG76 Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm thinking that Monken is important enough to The Dawgs success that he should be making at least half of what Kirby is making....through .reddawg said it best....money can't buy happiness, with that said it looks to me that we have the best OC/QB coach in the nation and he's having fun......there aren't many "perfect" jobs out there but Coach Monken seems to have found his Paradice!.......Coach Monken, PLEASEEEEEE DON'T TAKE ALL THOSE OFFERS SERIOUSLY!!!!

• Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Monken has the best job in college football! I hope (and expect) he already knows it. Let's count the advantages he has at UGA that he won't get anywhere else:

1. Gets to focus solely on the offense, scheming up plays and scoring points. Fun, fun!
    2. Has the Kirby Recruiting Machine doing all the heavy lifting, gets to be "The Closer" with star recruits.
    3. Has no responsibility for press interviews or alumni schmoozing. That looks like pulling teeth for him.
    4. Gets to coach some of the best talent in America, kids that are focused and committed to playing for the G!
    5. Gets to live in the best college town anywhere, and can go out to dinner with his family and nobody bothers him.
    6. Has some of the best assistant coaches, strength training, recruiting, & nutrition staffs in the business.
    7. Has state-of-the-art facilities to work in with nothing spared in equipment and technology.
    8. Has some of the most knowledgeable and interested football fans who are 'over-the-moon' at the job he is doing.

I could go on, but you get the point. Oh, and he makes $2 mil a year and likely go higher from there.

He has been-there, done-that as far as being a head coach, and knows the rewards and the responsibilities that come with the territory. If he wants to take all that on again, God bless him. I am just hoping he knows how good he's got it in Athens and wants to hang around.