Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Mel Kiper Jr. NFL Draft stock update: Arik Gilbert top H-Back; 4 of top 10 quarterbacks from SEC

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited September 2022 in Article commenting
imageMel Kiper Jr. NFL Draft stock update: Arik Gilbert top H-Back; 4 of top 10 quarterbacks from SEC

NFL draft stock is fluid in the ongoing evaluation of college players, changing from one week and from one pair of subjective viewpoints to another.

Read the full story here

Comments

• thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited September 2022

Because ... Darnell Washington has so many starts, receptions, receiving yards and TD catches? Let me put this another way. Do you want every WR or TE who has 22 catches for 400 yards and 1 TD in three years of college football to be the top rated in their position? Or just the ones who play for UGA? Let's put this another way. Next year when it is Brock Bowers' turn, would you take kindly to a Notre Dame or USC TE with those stats being rated above him?

That has only happened with George Pickens and Mecole Hardman. No other UGA WR or TE has been taken in the first 2 rounds. And the only RB to get taken in the first 2 rounds from UGA without big stats was James Cook, and his cause was aided by being the brother of Dalvin Cook, who would be a perennial Pro Bowler if he could stay healthy.

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2022

Arik Gilbert #1 H-Back? I'd like to see how Kiper came to that conclusion. Can't be stats, Gilbert hasn't contributed much. Love seeing UGA players ranked high, but Gilbert #1? Must be because of his massive frame, and potential, can't think of another reason. Any other opinions on this? And taking Richardson's potential over a proven winner in Bennett? Still no respect for Stetson I see.. If he played at Bama or osu he'd be a top heisman candidate, and a top 3 QB 🙄 GoDAWGS!

• Michael_ScarnMichael_Scarn Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mel Kiper Jr. is not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

• WCHWCH Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

How can Mel Kiper rate Arik Gilbert the #1 H back, when the only time he's thrown the ball he drops it?

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2022

Arik Gilbert has enough on tape from his freshman year to be a 2nd Rd pick (w/o playing another down this season -academics?) IF he shows up for post season workouts in very good physical condition.

BTW an H Back is generally primarily a bigger receiver, who is schemed for mismatches in space who can also block on the edge or downfield. Perfect fit for Gilbert's skillset.

The 2nd rd often sees NFL teams taking risks on players with high ceilings but less than fulfilled CFB careers. Primarily due to injury but also due to other reasons.

Make no mistake, Anthony Richardson will be drafted as a QB. Way too much potential there. After 3 (?) CFB starts safe to say that AR compares to a bigger, stronger, faster, better arm prospect than Deshaun Watson (he of the $230M contract). It will be interesting to watch AR's development this season with the experience he gets. It will also be very telling about Billy Napier's ability to utilize and develop QB talent.

• KBPKBP Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I really don't get the Anthony Richardson hype. He's Emory Jones plus 50lbs. When has he completed 20 passes against good competition? Flash plays from a QB but no game to game consistency gets you beat against good competition. Gilbert has tremendous potential but Washington is contributing to a championship caliber team right now. If I'm choosing a TE/H-back today between those two, I'm taking Washington. Availability and dependability is HUGE!!

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2022

Richardson has started 4 college games. SBIV has played 40 CFB games and started for 3 years (35 games?). And is just now putting it all together.

Is AR a bigger Emory Jones or a bigger faster more athletic Cam Newton with a better arm? A lot of NFL eyes on AR. The NFL looks at physical measurables first. Only need to look back at last years #1 NFL pick. Travon Walker did not start for the UGA D and didn't have "stat's" that warrant the #1 pick. But with proper work and development can be a all-pro level player based on his measurables.

Trey Lance was the #3 overall NFL pick ('21). AR regarded as having a higher ceiling. The ceiling on AR is extremely high. Some NFL team can't wait to draft him and try to develop him.

• JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 348 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Do “personal issues” affect one’s draft potential. If I was drafting players, it would be very important to me.

• KBPKBP Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@UGADad20, your point of Richardson starting only 4 games is why I don't get all of the hype. There's just no consistent passing production from Richardson in his 4 starts nor in the games he relieved Jones in last year to warrant the hype in my opinion. Why is he hyped more than Hooker at Tennessee?

I don't know if the NFL is as enamored with measurables as we fans sometimes think, especially at QB. Trey Lance may have been a reach at #3. Travon Walker had production from his freshman year on and while not as much volume as Hutchinson and Anderson at Bama, he still made plays with the snaps he received. I doubt his measurables played a significant role in the Jags drafting him. How often is he going to actually chase someone for 40 yards? I think they saw the impact he made with limited snaps compared to the volume of snaps played by Hutchinson.

By the way, I was never impressed with Cam as a passer. He had one exceptional year in the NFL surrounded by 10+ average to below average years. (59% career passer). I am convinced the reason he, Vick, McNabb, and as far back as Randall Cunningham were basically done in their early to mid 30's is because they ran too much in their 20's. Brady, Rodgers, Rivers, Brees, Ryan, and Roethlisberger all played into their late 30's and in some cases 40's because they either didn't run much at all or only ran when they had to and then avoided hits, well maybe except Big Ben. Sometimes athleticism and a strong arm keeps a QB from developing. Richardson is more developed as a runner, and I doubt that changes in the offense that Napier runs. Time will tell.

• brvhrtbrvhrt Posts: 320 ✭✭✭ Junior

@KBP I would bet that TW’s measurables were THE main reason he went #1 overall. While he wasn’t a completely unknown entity, his résumé wasn’t necessarily that of his draft position.

@UGADad20 I wonder if Bowers will be categorized as an H-Back next year. Thoughts?

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hard to break into a sweat or have to turn the A/C on cooler over Kiper’s predictions. He seems to be a really nice feller. But frankly If his job is based mainly on his predictions then I don’t see how he keeps his job. I know that’s sort of hard nosed on my part. But I’ve been watching the NFL Draft shows and Kiper doesn’t seem to be very in tune with what the NFL teams want. Year after year that I’ve watched, his predictions mainly miss and they miss pretty bad. Across All of CFB I will readily admit there’s numerous players that I don’t know Anything about at all. But I believe I could take roll of the dice guesses and come fairly close to what I’ve seen of Kiper !! So to my fellow Dawgs fans I strongly advise be not dismayed over Kiper’s predictions. Or certain Trolls that come here. NFL teams send scouts to these games and they See first hand whose doing what, or not, and whether a player has potential or not to help a NFL team have success. Lastly winning the Heisman, Especially for a QB is not a proven Guarantee of success in the NFL !! We’ve all seen numerous times where the Heisman Winner though great in college is a bust in the NFL !! I’m very confident that Kirby Smart and UGA will continue to produce Plenty of high draft players to the NFL. Go Dawgs !!

• Lexi33Lexi33 Posts: 62 ✭✭✭ Junior

"Arik Gilbert, who did not travel to South Carolina and is questionable for Kent State, is the No. 1-rated Fulleback/H-Back on the board."

If he doesn't fix what's ailing him he'll be a 7th round pick and out of the league faster than Michael Sam. I wish him the best, but the NFL won't pay him in perpetuity to "work on personal issues."