Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Cobra Kai....Larusso is a villain

pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,648 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Half way through season 4 and the more I watch and pay attention, it is becoming clear that Danny is a villain. I know it's a tongue-in-cheek show and shouldn't be taken seriously....but man he really has a problem with a guy with a business plan who he doesn't like. That's all it is. Danny assumes it's his role in life to save the world from a karate dojo that is different than his.

Thoughts?

Comments

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

I think that was the initial premise. I’d be interested in your thoughts after you finish season 4.

• mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like the show but it can be frustrating because they’re always so close to mutual reconciliation until some minor misunderstanding blows everything up. It’s like if they would take 3 minutes to actually talk to each other and not get offended they’d all be friends.

• donniemdonniem Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

well, in real life, those two would likely be brought up on charges for regularly endangering the lives of HS kids and be barred from going within 500ft of a school.

But again, that’d mean there’s no show.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,648 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love the show but it's like....where are the all the parents? All these kids getting beat up all the time and nobody's parents get involved? Huge gang fights at school, the mall, the water park and not a parent in sight?

• BaxleydawgBaxleydawg Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love the show. They pushed the envelope so far at the send of season 5, maybe only room for one more season

agree, but what I've learned in my decades on the planet is...never count out Hollywood. If there's a buck to be made...

It's been fun, but this last season has really pushed my suspension of disbelief. I hope this is the last season. But, in the real world Larusso would be the bad guy.

In the real world this many karate dojos wouldn’t be needed.

• BaxleydawgBaxleydawg Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Some of my favorite moments is when Johnny retold the scenes from Karate Kid from his perspective, making Daniel look like the bad guy.

Another when they are out to dinner and Amanda tells the waitress to ignore them they have warring karate dojos.

Very funny

Yeah, that part is really absurd. I guess that is the point. The show is supposed to be slightly absurd. A bunch of 15 year olds beating the snot out of each other and the only adults in this world are the 3-4 karate masters who are the behind it all.

Yea the first season was the best. Seems like that’s all the creators really mapped out and are just kind of winging it. It’s fallen off a bit, but I just try to enjoy it for what it is.

William Zabka should win some sort of award because he’s incredible on this show.

The first season was magic....especially for those of us who grew up during the original movie series. Johnny Lawrence is the best character on Netflix right now. He makes the show. I agree that the writers do seem to be winging it lately. I'm half way through Season 5 now. Still absurd, but it's fun. The fights are getting less and less intense and the choreography is lacking. You would think that after 4-5 years these kid actors might actually learn some martial arts and the choreography would improve. Maybe the Power Rangers fight scenes are all part of the charm.

He is. He's still the jerk that beat Daniel up but has also grown up a lot. H'es both hilarious and serious. I hope he gets some sort of award for this season. Also, I don't think we've seen his best yet.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2022

There's really no villains except for maybe John Kreese or pony tail man. It's mostly just a collection of stupide people doing stupide things to move the plot forward. But I drink every bit of it up 😂

It's becoming very 90210-ish. One of the things I noticed (and what makes Danny a villain) is that for all his talk about using karate for good and not trying to settle disputes with fighting.....he settles all his disputes by starting a fight. He's even had to be restrained a couple times from starting more fights. I really liked how in season one they addressed the fan theory of Danny being the real bully (which he was). I wished they had kept that going.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He really lost his way without Mr. Miyagi.

edited September 2022

Speaking of the writers, if I was writing the show one big change I would have made is to Krese's back story. Instead of him being a real war hero bad-azz, I would have made him some kind of stolen valor guy or just an admin pogue, who through dumb luck or mistaken identity inadvertently saved Silver's life...but in reality it was something really cowardly. Something like their camp being overrun and Krese running away instead of manning his post and trips, knocking Silver out of the way and accidentally falling on a grenade. Silver, thinking it was an act of extreme courage and sacrifice, puts him in for a Medal of Honor or something. Krese is a hero. In order to maintain the facade of tough-guy hero, Krese gets into martial arts. Eventually, Silver would learn the truth and exact his revenge for making him spend his life indebted to Krese.

It would also help explain why there is a total lack of adult students at Cobra Kai. Krese knows it's easier to manipulate kids. He's lived a life of lies. Kids don't ask questions.

Yeah, I've spent way too much time thinking about this....

I've noticed that Chozen is starting to talk exactly like Miyagi. Same voice, same advice....