Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What Georgia Tech firing of Geoff Collins potentially means for Georgia football

SystemSystem Posts: 10,431 admin
edited September 2022 in Article commenting
imageWhat Georgia Tech firing of Geoff Collins potentially means for Georgia football

Geoff Collins never will get to make a trip to Athens it appears, as the Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s Ken Segura reports that Collins has been fired as the Yellow Jackets’ head coach.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    brvhrtbrvhrt Posts: 322 ✭✭✭ Junior

What success GT has had has come during times of relative vulnerability + instability for the Dawgs. In other words, they haven't had anything close to CKS. As fertile as the state (particularly ATL/Metro ATL) is year in and year out, the right person might be able to do some damage.

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The gt football program has developed into an after thought for any credible Coach. I just don't see that changing anytime soon.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited September 2022

@brvhrt

This is primarily due to Georgia Tech making bad coaching hires on purpose. They have the "we are an academics school so we can't make the typical football factory hires" garbage mindset. Even after Bobby Ross in the 1990s plus all the success that Jim Harbaugh and for several years David Shaw had at Stanford they kept this mentality and made an idiotic hire like Paul Johnson, which meant no recruiting for 11 years ... during the very time that Georgia became the per capita best recruiting market in the United States (plus North Carolina's rise as a great secondary recruiting market). Geoff Collins was their first attempt at "an SEC guy" but the truth is he gets nowhere near the job without having been (a 15-10) head coach at Temple.

Now, whew. I don't know what their angle to win is going to be. Had they not hired Johnson, they could have done the things that Clemson did with the spread. Cam Newton, Lamar Jackson, Deshaun Watson, Trevor Lawrence, Blake Sims, Nick Marshall, Josh Dobbs ... a lot of those guys could have played at Tech. But everyone runs the spread now so it doesn't give you an advantage.

I say that since everyone is running the spread, maybe UGA should be like Michigan and go the medieval route: pro-style QB, big offensive line, TEs, FBs, big tailbacks. It is actually what Chan Gailey wanted to do, but "certain people" wanted a more "exciting" brand of football. Well how's that for exciting now, Tech?

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can’t believe they waited this long.

• Options
    MACDAWGMACDAWG Posts: 257 ✭✭✭ Junior

umm, thadec, what are you talking about??? So you're a tech fan? Maybe you should review your post and make some edits. Maybe UGA should be like Michigan....not bloody likely!!!! A lot of those guys wouldn't have played at Tech?????..... because they would've never want to play at Tech, they NEVER considered Tech for a nano second, they stink!!!

• Options
    MACDAWGMACDAWG Posts: 257 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited September 2022

Making bad coaching hires on purpose....are you kidding me, no one does that.

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maybe he should have used red markers after all…

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All I can say is keep your dirty little yellow stingers off our Coaching Staff !! Hire the Kent St. Coach. Oh Wait !! I’m sorry Kent St. Coach, Nobody deserves that cess pool in Atlanta !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 351 ✭✭✭ Junior

loving this dumpster fire, along with what's occurring in Auburn and Florida.

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 622 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Who would want the HC job at Tech other than as a stepping stone to a better HC job. Win there you should be able to win anywhere. As someone mentioned earlier: bad facilities in the heart of downtown Atlanta and the most dysfunctional fan base (such as it is) in college football. We are very fortunate to have CKS! Go Dawgs!

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 369 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I remember hating tech my entire life. Game day was a big deal, even when it meant traveling to that cracker box of a stadium. No, not so much. It isn't that I don't still hate them, because I do, it is more because I don't think or care about them. They are as irrelevant as a program can be. It's hard to crush their hopes when they have none to crush.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Good grief, does anyone of us actually believe that ANY UGA coach would take that job? GT is where coaches go to end their a career, not make one.

Monken? Please! He would be the LAST one on the staff to even consider it. UGA coaches, get their picks of the right opportunities, the cream of the crop, not the bottom of the barrel of openings. Besides that, when it comes to Monken, it would have to be a tier 1 job.

And for the rest, why choose to accept an offer to be the head coach at Tech now, when you could wait until the regular season was over and choose between several? McGee at Tech? I don't think so. I mean he is a good coach but that is putting yourself at a disadvantage when it comes to winning. Auburn, HIS ALMA MATER, makes more sense but he doesn't have college head coaching experience. But neither did some of their other recent head coaches...

The only upside is, if you do better than OK there, at Tech, you get hired somewhere better. IF. No way I would take it. I would wait for a school like Auburn. But Auburn has all of their booster and outside influence baggage. If not for that, it would be a great gig. So maybe ixna them. But McGee worked there a year or so when he first left HS, he might know better first-hand than to take it or NOT. But it was his Alma Mater, can't remember them EVER having a former player coach them. Maybe one for a half a minute? Don't think so. Anyway, no way to GT IMO.

• Options
    DJG76DJG76 Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited September 2022

The next step GT should make is to talk Coastal Carolina into trading conferences with them. GT would be more at home in the Sun Belt and CC would excel in the ACC.....at least Clem would then have some competition close to home!

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

What a shame! I hoped he would have the job for life. Good luck Geoff!

• Options
    GooberdawgGooberdawg Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

We run this state! To hell with Tek or the Braves and that whole city!

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't think it's beyond imaginable for the right AD and HC to revive GT's football program. They have a great football heritage, and Georgia high schools are a recruiter's nirvana. And there are a lot of coaches and players who'd find Atlanta a very attractive location.

It's true that their alumni network and facilities can't compete with a Georgia or even a Tennessee. But -- once you get past the predicament that Paul Johnson created -- there's no reason they can't be competitive with the Wake Forests and UNCs of the world.

Lord knows why they went Johnson's triple option route. I get why the military academies would go to it. But Georgia Tech doesn't face the same recruitment handicaps. It was an admission of desperation when they really didn't need to be that desperate, and it created a hole that it's taking years to dig out of.

• Options
    BigFanBigFan Posts: 146 ✭✭✭ Junior

If I were GT, I'd look at that young guy from Kent State. But expect, should he have any success, to use GT as a stepping stone to something bigger. Also - easy on midtown Atlanta. I know not all of us can live in those gated communities OTP, but we try to get by without bothering anyone ;-)