Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Stetson Bennett delivers the real truth about Georgia’s ‘****’ 39-22 win over Kent State

SystemSystem Posts: 10,435 admin
edited September 2022 in Article commenting
imageStetson Bennett delivers the real truth about Georgia’s ‘****’ 39-22 win over Kent State

Georgia quarterback Stetson Bennett has a raw, direct nature that only allows him to get into so much coach-speak.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited September 2022

I love the dawgs, but this team will lose to Tennessee if they don't clean it up. Stetson's throws are off. D line giving up yardage to B level schools. Receivers drops. O line not getting holes. They are all small things, except Bennett's inaccuracies, which he really didn't have last year. Seems like 90-95% effort. Was it rat poison. Regardless, They are on pace to lose to UT, who is very hungry. After a national championship, it seems the mental side of football is paramount - getting kids to have that hunger, realize their deficiencies. Fight hard. So hard for champion teams to repeat, even if they have the talent. Lots of teams have talent. The one who wins has the hunger and the drive for perfection.

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“We have to bring more energy,” Javon Bullard said. “I felt like we were lackadaisical as a group; the pregame warmups really wasn’t like our usual pregame warmup.”

A few hours later Bullard was arrested for a DUI, Booked and Released on bail. I guess he took the lackadaisical attitude to heart. Sheesh!

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Not a good day for recruiting.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I am sorry but Tennessee would have lost at home to Florida - who isn't very good - had Florida's best defensive player, LB Ventrell Miller, been healthy. UGA didn't gameplan for Kent State. They used them as practice to work on some things that they will need to do later in the season against better teams. UGA will gameplan for Tennessee and you will see the result.

• Options
    gafanlivinginalgafanlivinginal Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior

Not making excuses for this team's performance against Kent State, but maybe 4 cupcakes (counting Missouri next week) is too many and encourages sloppiness.

• Options
    JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

Actually, we came out of it in the lead for a few players. There’s a lot more to a visit than just game result. And we did win, by the way.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not sure which "four cupcakes" you're talking about. IMHO South Carolina isn't one. I don't think even Auburn qualifies as a cupcake.

Yeah, Kent State is a "cupcake" for SEC competition. We should've clobbered them.

At the same time, it's worth noting that they're a pretty good team that had prior experience against two other ranked opponents. And they executed very well on Saturday. If they continue to play like they did against Georgia, they're going to win the MAC East Division easily.

We weren't prepared. But -- like Coach said right after the game -- it was better for us to have a wakeup call against the Golden Flashes than against Tennessee or Kentucky. McConkey and Bennett are gamers; they'll be guarding the football better from here on out.

Like I said before the season began, SEC East is getting good -- looks better than the West for a change. Not to count our eggs before they hatch, but we may finish the regular season unbeaten against four ranked teams, and up to two Top 10 teams.

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Not to be a crabby old man, but the 1980 team pretty much played at noon (well, actually 12:30-1:30).

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tennessee and Florida didn't have defenses in that game Saturday night. What they did have were QB's that can take off and run with the ball. You keep those guys from being able to run it and you likely shut then down.

Hooker by himself ran for 8 -1st downs and the weren't the 1 yard plunger variety either. Richardson ran for 5 -1st downs. I will say that Richardson looked the best he's looked all year passing against Tenn. But basically evey time a completion was made the coverage was lacking.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Spot on ScoreCheck. I was going to mention Bullard's DUI arrest. Hit the gym, not the sauce, Bullard. This only hurts the team and image....but boys will be boys as they say. Lots of growing up to do as well.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

ALL teams, even the great ones have days ( especially against what is supposed to be inferior competition) where they sleep walk and play sloppy. Even the mighty Bama has had their share. Learn from this one. It’s in the books. Move on. Destroy Mizzou on the road for a little dab of healing. Go Dawgs !!

• Options

Agreed. But Hooker also has an excellent arm and good decision-making skills. He's one of the best -- especially with Cedric Tillman in the lineup.

In the meantime, let's make Mizzou miserable.

Luther Burden will be left wondering why he's having to play in games against Starks, Ringo, Smith and company on Saturdays, when he could have made himself a better WR by practicing against them during the week!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, this is another reason why these type of Pay-to-Play games are really bad ideas. You beat them 50-0 and it's a shrug-your-shoulders; if they come at you with everything they've got and it's closer than it should be then it might as well be a loss. It was the same with Samford - we gained very little in that game.

• Options
    jrmdvm1jrmdvm1 Posts: 131 ✭✭✭ Junior

When I was still in school, I always liked to get my tests back so that I could go over them and see what I missed. I always tell people that you can learn more from what you answered wrong if you look to see why you were wrong. That is one reason why I am sure that this game will end up being good for us. I am sure that Kent State learned from their games with Oklahoma and Washington. That is why I would call them a good team.

Relative scores do not mean much because they are based on so many different factors. What I am sure of is that Kent State was "up" for a game against the #1 team and we were not "up" for a game against them. Hopefully, the lesson learned will be about playing to the "standard" no matter who the opponent is. What I took away from the game is that we are young, and don't yet have the leadership and experience we had last year. My biggest disappointment was Stetson's lack of focus and the fact that we don't seem to yet "know" that EVERY play counts....you can't "take off" any plays, not even a single player on offense or defense. I am hoping that the team will hold themselves more accountable in the future.

A word about Kent State's offense. They have a scheme ( and a QB who executes it well ) that forces some tough choices on where to "cover" for the defense. I know that future opponents will attempt to incorporate some of those concepts against us. I am sure we will be ready. If we are, this "struggle game" will, in the end, become a positive for the team.

• Options

"My biggest disappointment was Stetson's lack of focus and the fact that we don't seem to yet "know" that EVERY play counts....you can't "take off" any plays, not even a single player on offense or defense."

Yeah. I agree with that. On the flip side, Bennett has definitely proven that DOES play up for tough competition.