Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart: Javon Bullard status in flux after DUI charge, ‘a lot in the air there’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,411 admin
edited September 2022 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart: Javon Bullard status in flux after DUI charge, ‘a lot in the air there’

ATHENS —The status of Georgia starting defensive back Javon Bullard is in flux after his arrest DUI charges early Sunday morning.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You know the old saying, heard it from a friend, who heard it from a friend, but did he really only blow a .02?

• Options
    natejawsnatejaws Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior

@flemingislanddawg Yes he did. I read the report. This cop is garbage!! I live in Athens and have many friends on the PD, so either Bullard was a complete jerk or this officer isn't long for law enforcement because he lacks judgement.

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

He was not in an accident or speeding. Unless he has a DUI prior record, the cop should have simply cited him for a couple of moving violations and called him an Uber. This seems like an overcharged case.

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

An individual I know (not me, I mean it!) was cited for "driving under the influence" even though both the breathalyzer and blood tests came in under the intoxication limit. Apparently, GA law allows a range of discretion to the cop to decide whether presence of alcohol "represents a hazard".

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@flemingislanddawg Per your post, I included more information from the police report about the level of intoxication reflected per the breathalyzer report. If you asked, others might also wonder.

• Options
    78Dawg78Dawg Posts: 165 ✭✭✭ Junior

We have at least one of these every year. SO sick of it.

• Options
    jamboogiejamboogie Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ Junior

pretty simple solution. Plan to paly without him whether temporarily or permanently

• Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2022

Actually shows this “samples of 0.143 and 01.48″ per the report. I assume 0.148 not 01.48. But yet that is a lot higher than .02. That is almost double the legal limit. But this is what it says on the Police report "DUI - ALCOHOL - UNDER 21 YOA - CONCENTRATION 0.02G"

• Options
    rxmasterrxmaster Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

Over 21, the legal limit is 0.08. Under 0.08, they have to have additional evidence of impairment to support a charge.

Under 21, it is 0.02 because there should not be any alcohol present.

• Options
    rxmasterrxmaster Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yes, they have discretion,but the charge has to be supported by evidence of impairment (failure to maintain lane or speed, failure to use signals on turns or lane changes, etc). It's much harder for them to prove under 0.08 for an Adult.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Why is this even a debate? It does not appear that Kirby Smart is debating it. He's preparing to play the folks he has. Hopefully, this is a one-time mistake by Bullard that he (and others) learn from; he serves his suspension (or whatever penalty he is assessed) and comes back a better and more determined player. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 348 ✭✭✭ Junior

there is no debate. You screw up like this, you pay the price by sitting on the sidelines and not playing.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

JB scrapped and worked his way from 3* to starting player. He sure put a lot on the line to get buzzed. It will cost him. Now the question is how long the suspension will be.

Poole leaving the team with prime time exposure on the horizon is even more puzzling than initially thought. If UGA needs to rely on MWashington (who should be playing HS ball now) to play substantial minutes at Star or rush TSmith back before he is completely healthy (typically 1 yr w/ACL's - mine took 2 years) is not optimal. Any further attrition at DB would be highly problematic.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

THe report says he didn't maintain his lane and almost hit an oncoming vehicle. It could have been much much worse. He nededed to be arrested and anything else would have sent the wrong message to perhaps do it again. "hey, they let me go last time." Purchasing alcohol for minors used to be a big deal back in my day, maybe they've lessened the charges.