Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

National media begins nitpicking Georgia football as Bulldogs move into SEC play

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited September 2022 in Article commenting
imageNational media begins nitpicking Georgia football as Bulldogs move into SEC play

Georgia football takes on Missouri this weekend.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes, McConkey's game might have been a one-off. Hope so. But the pass defense and lack of a consistent pass rush is a trend. Perhaps we can win in November without those things, but I'd much rather have them. Go Dawgs.!

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Statistics can be overrated. Just keep doing what it takes to win. Bama had at least 4 one score games last season and the media talked about how un-Bama like the team was. Well, all they did was end up winning the SEC and making it to the Natty Game. In the words of Al Davis, Just win Baby!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've been saying since after the 2nd game that we weren't getting any explosive runs from our RB's., which was a surprise to me, especially since we were moving the ball so well through the air. Usually success in one area leads to success in the other. THe old saying you run to set up the pass or pass well to set up the run should bode well, but hasn't been the case. We haven't stunk running it overall but we haven't excelled in it either, and that against lesser competition.

I think(hope so) that our defense begins to gel as the season moves along. It's what should happen as the new guys get more and more experience under their belts. I like the way our young LB's fly to the ball. We just don't get that regular push from the D-line to garner sacks. We're not there yet with our D-line. BUt we have time on our side before we face the better competition.

As far as statics go, the best teams generally have the best statitics.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Their "statistical profile" problem is due to the new defensive scheme: avoid sacking the quarterback so that he has an opportunity to throw an interception! 😂

Seriously, one difference that I see in the pass rush from last year is the push of the offensive line back into the pocket seemed to be more prominent last year. It was very disruptive for the QB's trying to work through their progressions, and effective in allowing an edge rusher to at least get his hands on him. I don't believe this is a crisis, but an area where they will show improvement with each game. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    ypcregypcreg Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I actually think our pass defense is slightly better than last season, but our run defense is visibly worse than last season. The effect of losing JD is clearly noticeable.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The same National Media (and local) that overhyped the first 4 weeks.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t put stock in anyone’s opinion that doesn’t know what our schedule is. That puts his “expertise” as suspect at best. Albarn isn’t on the road.

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I suspect the guys on the team are more concerned about nitpicking being done by that Smart feller.

• Options
    DJG76DJG76 Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'll be holding my breath at the end of the season waiting for these ESPN genius to issue a retraction......"You know, the Kent State Flashes were a really strong team, they won their conference again and they really gave the National Champion Bull Dawgs a great game"!!!!

• Options
    Ugagolf80Ugagolf80 Posts: 72 ✭✭✭ Junior

The reason The Dawgs D has fewer sacks is b/c they've played a base vanilla defense most of the season to get the younger players up to speed. I believe they will add more stunts and exotic blitz packages as they go. The bottom line is they're giving up less than 10 ppg. NONE of the "experts" thought they'd be anywhere near that.

• Options
    SOARDAWGSOARDAWG Posts: 15 ✭ Freshman

When it comes to college football, the top 2 things that are about as useful as a football bat are what bloviating sports media chuckleheads and fans think, pretty much about anything. There's not one college football team I couldn't knock down several notches, some more a lot more nitpicking. So I think of "their" opinions as like stepping on a **** of chewed bubblegum, the best thing to do is to just scrape it off and keep going forward. If those chuckleheads actually had to make a living off of being right, an overwhelming majority couldn't put 2 nickels together to make a dime. Keep in mind, that same overwhelming majority is the same gaggle of Nostradumbasses who were singing the Dawgs' praises less than 3 weeks ago, how quickly they forget!

Do the Dawgs have areas needing improvement, well duh, of course they do, then again, name one team that doesn't. Still, I believe the Dawgs are just as good, if not better than the rest of the CFP contenders, will go 12-0, win the SEC Championship and another Nation Championship because they have the talent to do so. So let the chuckleheads spew their nonsensical rat poison elsewhere, and let the Big Dawgs keep on eating!

GO DAWGS!!!