Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football Gimme 5: Kirby Smart still hunting, pushing players with poise

SystemSystem Posts: 10,521 admin
edited October 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football Gimme 5: Kirby Smart still hunting, pushing players with poise

Welcome to this week’s “Gimme 5″ feature where we answer the most compelling questions on Georgia football.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 349 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It definitely seems like Bowers and Washington are priorities for opposing defenses this year. We will need other players to step up to force defenses off their schemes that take away Brock and Darnell.

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 402 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I agree with the article. Smart is working through this. I just think most people's expectations were elevated by that Oregon win. Oregon isn't that good. Kent State could probably beat them. Oregon had a new coach, new qb, new environment. The dawgs don't have Jordan Davis. The new guys have to grow, both mentally and physically. The young guys on the O line have to grow. And yes, Stetson has to be accurate. His last game was fantastic at times, most of the time, not all the time. That running back, Edwards, needs more carries - he has shown some flashes of better vision and patience. We need to throw deep some as well. Smart will put us in the best place to win.

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe that targeting Kenny McIntosh coming out of the backfield more often (more often than in the Missouri game) with short passes could loosen up the coverage on Bowers and Washington. That seemed to be the case in some of the earlier games when McIntosh was 100% healthy. If Arian Smith and AD Mitchell are able to play, that could force the safeties to play a little deeper as they have to respect the deep threat. That could also be a difference maker. Having those three players (McIntosh, Mitchell, and Smith) back in the line up and healthy will go a long way towards seeing more trips into the end zone (not to mention much needed improvements on the OL, which I am convinced is going to happen). Go Dawgs!

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great article.

I'm not willing to discount the Oregon win. They might be pretty good.

On the other hand, BYU might not be any good at all, right?

By the end of the season - looking back - we'll know everything. Now, we don't.

Our team is very very young. Kirby is doing everything possible to get the youngsters up to speed as rapidly as possible. He's not interested in style points. He is interested in building developing the young players to increase the useable depth.

So far we're in the hunt. The only thing I care about in that regard is whether we win against Auburn on Saturday.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2022

At times SBIV has played better than last year. At other times he looks very much like last year's SBIV. He is better for 1 reason. His decision making has improved. Maturity/experience ( a few starting NFL QB's are younger than SBIV)? Better offense system knowledge? "make fewer bonehead plays" , (or else), CKS ? Monken tutoring?

People clamoring for more DWash targets and/or more SBIV runs are not likely to see it. Why? For the same reason. Risk of injury. Remember Fromm's last season? Never ran. Couldn't. No experienced back up . CBeck has looked good but he hasn't had trial by fire yet. Do you want to head into the post season (with a chance to win the championship) with an inexperienced QB?