Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

‘Realistic’ Kirby Smart: No apologies for 42-10 win, but plenty of criticism

SystemSystem Posts: 10,515 admin
edited October 2022 in Article commenting
image‘Realistic’ Kirby Smart: No apologies for 42-10 win, but plenty of criticism

ATHENS — Kirby Smart isn’t the walking, talking contradiction he might seem to be when he praises his Georgia football team one moment only to deal out harsh criticism the next.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not making excuses, because since the Oregon game Bennett hasn't been as good as needed on deep passes, but it looked like he may have been having some issues with his shoulder. Maybe he was tight from all the hits he got last week?

The receivers need to do a little better job, also. McConkey is our best receiver at this point. but he let a great deep ball go through his hands yesterday. He's still young and he will likely get it right next time.

It was good to see the O-line and the run game have a great day. Branson Robinson looks like he's starting to become a good power back who will punish the defense.

It's great to see the D-line coming together. Even more impressive is how good they've been without Jalin Carter.

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 278 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

For those of us watching the game on CBS, I am thankful we got the genuine charm of Rick Neuheisel instead of the grating criticism of Gary Danielson.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“Some quarterbacks can put a team on their shoulders, but that’s not how Smart’s Georgia offenses have been designed.”

Is there a performance by one of the top quarterbacks on one of the top teams that has done that this year? I guess one could argue Young sorta did so at the end of the Texas game—thanks to a missed sack blunder by a Texas player… 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WoodstockDawg ...I think one reason we haven't been able to get sacks is constantly being held with no flags. Mizzou held a good bit that I saw, and Auburn for sure did (NavyDawg mentioned this to in another thread).

Alabama held aTm from what I saw too...I couldn't believe the penalties that WERE called against Alabama...just amazing that the refs called them.

To your point, the D really did play well and I was so proud of them for the response to Council's bulletin board material.

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

CJ Stroud had 6 TD passes against Michigan State yesterday. (By comparison, SB IV had 5 TD passes the entire season.) And unlike Bennett, whom UGA kept in the game until 5 minutes were left against an exhausted team for the sole purpose of padding his stats, Stroud sat the entire 4th quarter. Otherwise he likely has 8 TD passes and 450 yards. Stroud has 24 TD passes this season through 6 games, and this is without his 3 best WRs from last year (2 of them were 1st round picks that are both starting in the NFL as rookies and the third is injured, though he will return after the bye week).

A better example is Clemson's QB DJ Uiagalelei: 1400 yards and 14 TDs passing. Clemson does not have the talent on offense that they did during the Tajh Boyd/Deshaun Watson/Trevor Lawrence eras ... no 1st round picks at WR or RB. Instead, Uiagalelei has had to "throw guys open" or use roll-outs and RPOs to get guys open that are having trouble getting separation. And while Will Shipley leads Clemson in rushing yards - though not by a whole lot - and rushing TDs, Uiagalelei is Clemson's most effective runner especially in goal line and short yardage situations. He isn't as good as the All-Americans that preceded him (even accounting for their superior supporting casts) but he is still 3 times better than last year. He absolutely did have to put his team on his shoulders in the 51-45 game against Wake Forest: a road game against Sam Hartman, who will likely finish #2 all time in ACC passing yards (behind Philip Rivers) and will definitely be an NFL draft pick.

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gary Danielson stoop to call a lowly Georgia game? I cheered for aTm all the more if only to upset Daniels.

I thought aTm played well enough to win in the hostile environment, with a few things going their way (all things being equal), they could have won.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited October 2022

Stuff like this is bush league.

1. Speculation that Bennett is injured ... in the complete and total lack of evidence that this is so. Also if Bennett is injured then why on earth is he playing against the likes of Kent State, South Carolina, Missouri and Auburn in the first place instead of letting him get healthy for the stretch of teams that are actually good? Why was a guy with an injured shoulder still throwing the ball until 5 minutes were left in a blowout?
    2. Blaming "the WRs" on the one drop that McConkey had - and no that was not a perfectly thrown ball, which would have been a teardrop that allowed McConkey to run under it in stride instead of one where he had to go full speed and catch up just to get his hands on it - while ignoring the tons of bad passes and questionable decisions with the ball that Bennett had. Darnell Washington was open on just about every play when he was in the game yet Bennett - again - only saw fit to look his way twice, one of which was essentially a long handoff. Blaylock? More of the same: frequently open yet Bennett usually either misfires or doesn't even look in his direction. Through 6 games NFL caliber talent like Washington has 12 catches, Blaylock and Jackson have 16 between them and we are supposed to believe that it is somehow their fault? Well how about this: even Brock Bowers has less than 4 catches a game and more rushing TDs than receiving ones. You gonna blame him too?

Please. No more "he must be injured." No more "the other guys need to step up" when they aren't even getting balls thrown their way in the first place. Instead, I said that this was going to happen early on. Kirby Smart had Monken put in a very unusual offense that centered around SB IV's strengths and weaknesses. It caught their initial opponents Oregon, Samford and South Carolina off guard because no one runs an offense like that (for a reason) but by game 4 everyone had tape of what UGA was doing on offense and had adapted to try to stop it. Auburn for example gameplanned to stop the passing to the RBs.

I remember when Dawgnation was mocking Florida because Anthony Richardson was being hyped as a Heisman candidate and future NFL 1st round pick despite having no TD passes in the first 3 games. Well look who should be laughing now: Richardson now has as many TD passes as Bennett does (despite much less experience and in particular far less talent around him ... at most 2 of the guys on offense in Gainesville would get regular playing time in Athens). The offense that Smart had Monken put in to maximize SB IV's stats to get the kid a Heisman and an NFL draft spot isn't working anymore. (Also, no one outside Athens believes that a QB with only 5 TD passes in 6 games is a Heisman candidate to begin with.) Time to ditch it and go back to the legitimate offense of last season.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It would have been nice if Neuheisel and the other guy would have taken the time to learn the names of the players. I stopped counting the number of times they said “Saintjack”! At least Danielson knows who he’s watching.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah. I was struck by the Neuheisel's lack of knowledge about the Dawgs, too. Some of the stuff he said -- while pretending to know what he was talking about -- was laughable. I can't remember but you could totally tell he hadn't watched a Georgia game all year.

I like McDowell and Blackledge.