Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Undefined discussion subject.

SystemSystem Posts: 10,516 admin
edited October 2022 in Article commenting
Undefined discussion subject.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 401 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The dawgs were blocking well on the O line - but it was against Auburn. Poor Auburn - dumpster fire. If we could get Stetson to throw well consistently, then we have a shot at Tennessee.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm glad you mentioned the volume from the Georgia scoreboard. I actually got up from my seat to seek out ear protection.

Wound up using a paper towel **** inserted in each ear. It helped some.

The offense is actually No. 4 in Total Offense, but only No.18 in Scoring Offense. Need to get more TD's. The second half against Auburn and the Red-Zone production was a good start.

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I feel like Stetson summed it up best when he said go have fun. When the dogs are tight and struggling on offense I feel it’s because they are trying too hard and misfocusing ( if that’s even a word). Bennett does the best when he rolls in the pocket or scrambles 3 or more times a game. He is not a pocket passer, has never claimed to be. But I feel if they start getting him rolled out more and calling more draws. It could get really fun!

loved watching that o-line maul folks Saturday. Reminded me of last years Arkansas game.

go dawgs!

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 278 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Attention 93,000 fans at UGA-Auburn game. If you consider yourself a professional college football fan and can prove the UGA scoreboard consistently was belting out greater than 85 dBa of noise, you may have a good case for compensation if you can test out for permanent hearing loss. (I probably should have capped the word "compensation" for those of you experiencing impaired hearing).

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I feel like I’m hearing a Gilbert and Montlick commercial. 😂 😂 😂

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 486 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I have to believe that the coaches are intentionally holding back on his designed plays to keep opposing teams film review to a minimum. As the Dawgs competition gets stronger, so should our offense. If not we might be on the edge of our seats more than we would like. I do have to agree his accuracy just isn’t there.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited October 2022

@Brooksie

"I have to believe that the coaches are intentionally holding back on his designed plays to keep opposing teams film review to a minimum. As the Dawgs competition gets stronger, so should our offense."

I seriously doubt this. First, absolutely no one does it. No one "goes vanilla" for 7 weeks. It prevents your players from developing in the scheme. A lot of football at this level is being able to recognize/read and react in an instant during a game. If you try to do it in week 8 against a top 10 team for the first time everyone is going to do things too slowly and make mistakes.

Second, it is the opposite of what we have seen happening. Instead, from day one against Oregon and even against lesser competition like Kent State we have seen a very intricate and detailed offense with a clear strategy. The problem lately is that this strategy is increasingly difficult to execute against defenses that know it is coming and is gameplanning for it. Coming into the season everyone thought that Kearis Jackson and Dominick Blaylock were going to have big roles but instead they chose to feature McConkey. Now teams are covering McConkey tighter and doing bump-and-run to delay and disrupt his route running and mess with him mentally. Also, the whole thing where the RBs were the #2 or #3 guys in the route tree instead of the WRs ... defenses have figured that out. Defenses also know to be on the lookout for reverses to WRs and TEs after McConkey and Bowers scored TDs on it early in the season.

If UGA is going to scratch that starting October 29 when the stretch of Florida, Mississippi State, Tennessee and Kentucky starts and THEN start using Jackson, Blaylock, Washington etc. in the passing game more and relying less on the RB passing and trick stuff, how is that going to work? Are they going to expect guys who have had only 1 or 2 balls thrown their way all season to step up and put up 150 yard 2 TD games against the toughest competition of the year? If that is the plan then don't expect it to go well. It is setting those guys up for failure, scapegoating and fingerpointing instead of success.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It'll be extremely hard for Stetson to sit in the pocket and survey the entire field with a half dozen giant men positioned directly in front of him (and a few trying to maul him). Have you ever been in a crowd at a concert, and the people in front of you were several inches taller... remember how hard that was to try to look over and around them? That's Stetson in the pocket. It's darned impressive he's done what he has with that reality, but those those limitations are real and it reduces target options, even with creative play-calling... it is what it is. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'd take issue with a couple of MG's grades and add a couple of my own:

STOCK SOARING

Backup RBs (not ALL RBs). Robinson and Edwards were phenomenal. Robinson may end up the best RB we've had since Chubb. But Milton got injured (again) and McIntosh was simply his usual very good self.

Brett Thorson -- Who'da thunk we wouldn't miss last year's SEC First Teamer? He can boom it. But, like the best punters, he's not always kicking for average: I think he pinned 'em inside the 20 three times. Other than a shank against Kent State (?), he's been steady beyond his years. When you're offense gets at least one 1st down on each possession, your average is going to suffer because it's all about not putting the punt in the end zone.

STOCK UP

Malaki Starks: I don't know how much higher his stock can get. Last week, ESPN rightly named him the best freshman at any position so far. He didn't show up a lot on stat lines (2 tackles), but he was a physical presence whenever he was in and that near-interception (a lot like the Oregon pick) sent a message not to throw his way.

Zion Logue: Two fumble recoveries and three tackles. Stepping up to lead the line while Carter's out deserves recognition.

STOCK DOWN

SBIV: I'm not a Stetson basher. But -- c'mon: There's a reason that Bennett's poor passing is what everyone's talking about. The TD run was fantastic, but that's not what will get our offense in sync. The Stetson who played Oregon and SC would've had six more completions and about 120 more yards. It wasn't just the impossible-to-catch throws; it was also the swing passes that picked up only one or two yards because he made the catchers break stride to reel them in.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@CandlerPark I think your takes are spot-on. I like Bennett, too, but his accuracy suddenly -- and inexplicably -- disappeared starting with Kent State (before the shoulder "injury). And you're right, all of a sudden he can't throw a five yard swing pass to the running back. And he has zero touch on deep balls. I mean, guys aren't even getting a fighting chance. I'm not hating on him, I'm just wondering what happened because he was money at the start of the year.

Also, the two players I'm most disappointed in (other than Arik Gilbert who is obviously a special case) are Kearis Jackson and Robert Beal. Have either of them made a real impact this year? And they're what, fifth-year seniors? Jackson just has no giddyup whatsoever. Yes, I know he's never fully recovered from his injury, but neither has Dominick Blaylock but at least he's making catches that count. And I see Beal on the field but I NEVER hear his name called. (I guess that means that at least he's not screwing up). But I just expected a lot more from those two, not all conference or even elite, but guys who got their names called with regularity for making major contributions. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thorson has been very good after what seemed like a shaky start. What concerns me is the time he takes to get the kick off. I hope the UGA ST's coach has noticed and is stressing protection and working on speeding up Thorson's motion.