Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

3 final takeaways from Georgia’s 42-10 win over Auburn, rise to No. 1

SystemSystem Posts: 10,513 admin
edited October 2022 in Article commenting
image3 final takeaways from Georgia’s 42-10 win over Auburn, rise to No. 1

ATHENS — Georgia exited its game with Auburn a 42-10 winner, and on Sunday, the Bulldogs were elevated to No. 1.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2022

" Bennett is second in the SEC in passing yardage but eighth in pass efficiency.

Smart said Bennett needs to hit the open receivers." No kidding. Wide open receivers that my mom could have completed a pass to...

I'm really tired of hearing that "Stet has got to get better." We've heard that phrase ad nauseum. Stet cannot stretch the field consistently at all.

Well guess what? I think he's about as good as he's going to get, and we'll have to accept that moving forward. He's had plenty of off-season time to work with these receivers coming into this year and now we're into week 7. The offense needs to gel like they did against Oregon. Where did that spark go? We'd better find it before November or it could be a long, uncomfortable month.

I'm ready for the REAL Dawgs to show up...offensive improvement is paramount to our success this season.

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Here is hoping that Bennett can get better because at this stage of the season, that ship has pretty much sailed. Gonna be tough to introduce any other QB given the schedule and paucity of non-mop up work from any other QB. Most QBs get better as the season progresses and the regression witnessed the past 3 weeks is not a great sign. Not sure Vandy will be a valuable opportunity to assess progress given how bad their pass defense has been. This may be as good as it gets and if so, it could very well represent a missed opportunity if he can’t get better.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2022

UGA missed a great opportunity to get CBeck a whole 4thQ of action vs AU. Part of that is that CKS is afraid of creating a QB controversy like last year. He doesn't want to have to answer the endless QB questions like last year. He has decided he will ride the SBIV horse all the way to the finish line. But by doing so he is not preparing a back up for next year or injury this year. CKS says he doesn't care about the score but that FG helped UGA to cover.

CKS is averse to taking almost any risk. There was a 4th and a foot in the 4th Q(?) where CKS took a FG. (my bad. Musta been a punt, 7x6 equals 42) Rarely goes for it on 4th down regardless of field position or overmatched opponent. That is just his DNA.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Interesting observation by Mike about the OL. I actually thought they had a very good game. Auburn's front seven is supposed to be very good, yet we rolled over them, opened holes, protected the QB and didn't have a lot of penalties. But I'm not doubting the point MIke's making.

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Dawgs have to find their identity. Are they going to be a true air raid offense, throwing a run in every now and then, or do they want to have a balanced attack? You can't have a strong running game with running back by committee. You need your strongest back in there, getting the rock and hitting the line. Seems as soon as one of the backs starts getting hot, Kirby pulls him out for "fresh legs". Hogwash.

• Options
    edited October 2022

@UGADad20 ...I'm not sure if it is Kirby not wanting the controversy or just not a real good judge of QBs and their potential. We went through this before as you know with Fields and Fromm. I like Stet, and he proved us all wrong by winning a Natty last season. BUT, last season we were able to ride on the backs of our stellar defense mostly, and the defense won the game against Bama hands down. It wasn't our offense that won the Natty. This year our defense has taken a step back (although still very good). A lot of young players on D that could get lit up with Tennessee's fast moving up tempo offense and aggressive attacking style. We may be in a horse race against the Vols and the winner might be who scores last. Right now, the Vols have the best offense in the country.

Beck has drastically improved his passing, and I'd love to see more of him during games. Next year will be interesting, because I have a feeling we will lose one QB to the portal coming out of the Spring practice.

I just want to see the Dawg's offense play like they did against the Ducks. It's like that aggressive, attacking, high powered offense disappeared after that game. Maybe it's just that defenses have figured it out and are covering up the shorter throws and swing passes that we tend to live off of with Stet at QB. Make Stet throw deeper than 20 yards and there's a decent chance that throw is incomplete or intercepted.

• Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm just really perplexed at the failure of the deep passing game lately...it seemed to really start with Kent St., and it hasn't necessarily been all on Stetson. Stetson had great deep ball accuracy last season, but the mojo is gone now. It must come back if the Dawgs are going to have a chance to get through November unscathed.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2022

MTDawg, there really is no controversy. CKS is King. What he says goes. But he does appear to get annoyed discussing certain subjects with reporters during his press conferences. I don't think he wants to open that can of worms subject after last year and answer countless questions on it.

As for Fields vs Fromm the people that watched the games knew 2 things. 1) Fields was not ready to lead a contending team at the same level that Fromm could. and 2) Fields ceiling was sky high. Much higher than Fromm's. CKS banked on Fields coming back and competing w/Fromm the next season. Fields took the sure thing and transferred. When I saw Fields throw that 75 yd TD to MHardman I said he would beat out Fromm the next season. And he would have (based on how Fromm played his last season) .

You might not see the UGA O vs OR again. The "shorter throws and swing passes that we tend to live off" are being keyed on. SBIV still struggles with using the whole field and expanding the route tree. Slot WR KJackson (who CR picked to be the leading WR), used primarily in the middle of the field, has completely disappeared. SBIV definitely has something going on with his shoulder. His accuracy (never his strong point) has regressed. His '21 long ball magic is gone. He hasn't hit a bomb all season. Hopefully CBeck plays 3(?) Q's vs Vandy to rest SBIV's shoulder.

I like CBeck but my choice would be BVG. More mobility. I hope Brock stays through next spring. I think he beats out CBeck next season.

As for Popeye, RB by committee can work for UGA. All 4 backs bring something to the game plan AND the differences in "quality" between them is minimal. They're all about the same in terms of player level. BUT for RB by committee to work you have to have a OL bordering on dominant.

• Options
    edited October 2022

@UGADad20...Absolutely, CKS is King...but I do wonder what might be going on in the background concerning QBs.

From what I have seen from Vandagriff, I haven't been very impressed. BUT, the sample size has been very small. I honestly think Gunner has got a better arm than Brock and even tougher and more mobile. Again though, it has been a small sample of scrimmages and Spring game. I really want to see more of Beck under adverse situations and long drives. I hope he will get some serious game time on Saturday against Vandy.

Maybe our problem is the O guys just aren't as relaxed and having as much fun any longer like they appeared to be against the Ducks. Dunno. I am glad to see better play out of the O-line, but like you, I wonder where the long ball has gone. Heck, I'd even take some intermediate balls that were thrown accurately. Are the receivers not getting enough separation? Obviously, that one pass to a wide open receiver that was waaaay long wasn't one of those times.

Well, hopefully, the O will find its mojo again and start playing like we know they can.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bennett to get better? Bennett isn't a freshman anymore - he's closer to retiring from football than he is from being a newbie. He is who he is. He's not magically going to be able to hit passes that he hasn't been able to make. He's the best short-range-passer in the country, but there's a reason why he was never a REAL contender for the Heisman.

Bennett NEEDS NEEDS NEEDS to make those slants and short passes to be successful. If (and when) the Defense adjusts and says "yeah, go ahead and try to throw deep" and he can't make those short passes then that's why Beck needs to come in. Their D has prepared to play Bennett... not Beck.

It comes down to this. Even if Tenn loses to Bama (which they might not), if they beat us then they are going to Atlanta and we aren't making the Top 4. Period. We can't play like we've been playing.

• Options
    doubledawg1990doubledawg1990 Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

Can't believe we're back to this - "CKS doesn't know how to evaluate QB talent." You guys must just not know/understand CKS yet. He will replace SBIV if/when it is demonstrated (remember, you are not the $11 million dollar per year coach) a change is needed. I like SBIV, but I also like CB and BVG. But more, I want to win. The coaches are always going to make the call they think is best. It's self-serving for them to do so - more wins, more money, job security, upward mobility to other coaching positions, etc.. There's a reason SBIV is the starter until there's not. I trust CKS (all the coaches) to make that decision. You should too.