Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Which Georgia players rank in Top 5 at respective positions in 2023 NFL draft projections

SystemSystem Posts: 10,513 admin
edited October 2022 in Article commenting
imageWhich Georgia players rank in Top 5 at respective positions in 2023 NFL draft projections

ATHENS — Top players come to Georgia to win championships, but career development is part of the formula and a lucrative future in the NFL is the goal.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2022

I notice that Arik is only listed by Kiper. I doubt seriously he will be drafted (based on his amazing potential) if he doesn’t have significant playing time this season. Hopefully Arik will emerge soon for his sake. He still has 2-3 years of eligibility remaining because the 2020 season at LSU didn’t count against him due to Covid and he was redshirted in 2021. Go Dawgs and good luck Arik!!!

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m not looking to “smack” talk or be disrespectful to Arik Gilbert but is there any way Gilbert’s situation could be explained a little more in depth so fans may understand what’s going on with him. I know Kirby is close to the vest with these type things, and I respect that but everything is so vague with regards to Gilbert. As fans we are all pulling for him as he is a great talent but it’s the same thing over and over again in articles where Gilbert’s name is mentioned. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@BubbaBill

It isn't just Arik. There are a lot of draft-eligible guys on offense that aren't putting up the numbers that they need. At this point those guys are going to either:

A. go undrafted

B. be 6th or 7th round picks

C. return for their 4th/5th/6th year in 2023

None of those are ideal. Even the last one would mean a logjam: way too many RBs and pass catchers to accommodate and even likely put UGA up against the scholarship limit. Plus for the guys that have used up their eligibility or have financial considerations, C. isn't an option anyway.

Through 6 games no one has a 100 yard rushing game, the only one with a 100 yard receiving game is an RB, and no one has 300 rushing yards or 400 receiving yards (and only 2 guys have 300 receiving. yards). Good news is that with the SEC title game and 2 playoff games, UGA has 9 more contests to address this issue. Hopefully they will prioritize it and do so. Otherwise this draft will be like the last one: a ton of guys overall but dominated by defense guys at the top.

And yes, it does affect recruiting. UGA was able to flip that kid from UCLA because he ripped off 12 carries for 98 yards against Auburn. That is the sort of thing that needs to happen to impress both recruits and NFL scouts because that is what the top players at other schools produce.

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The short answer is "no." It's not our business, and nobody owes us anything as far as personal issues go. Know that he is a positive influence on his team, and that being around his team is a positive influence on him. Coach is involved in not only making sure we have championship-level teams (a task he takes quite seriously, obviously), but also helping the members of his team to develop as whole players. "But we want to know" is not any reason to get into the ins and outs of someone's life. We can make the argument that these are public people so they don't have/deserve any privacy, but that doesn't hold any weight at this level. They're still just kids who are trying to get somewhere with their lives and figure things out for their futures.

Don't read me wrong: this is not to accuse you of having that attitude. It's just to clarify why we get what we get from the top down.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

LOL...Right. like Trayvon Walker or Jordan Davis? Their numbers were off the chart, huh?

In case you haven't noticed, NFL Scouts stopped putting a lot of stock in "the numbers", a long time ago. Williams, Metchie and Pickens spent some or most of the 2021 season, injured...and were drafted in the first 2 rounds. James Cook didn't have "the numbers" and went in the 2nd round..

A lot more goes into draft analysis than "the numbers".

So, save the Statistics talk. That Dawg don't hunt no more. LOL

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

BigDawg, there's definitely something to this comment. From one angle, you're definitely not wrong. Having a lack of numbers, but having a definitely notable presence on teams that are loaded with talent aside from yourself is for sure a sort of even/even for a good bit of guys. At the same time, there are plenty of players who play for not-nearly-as-notable teams who get noticed ON ACCOUNT of their numbers, DESPITE the performance of the team around them and against the talent that those teams faced.

This is the game that our 2 and 3 string guys have to play, and why the portal is such a relevant concern on both sides of the thing these days. Vandagriff was committed to OK for a minute before switching loyalty to UGA. He's barely getting handoff time right now. Would he be seeing more time out west? Could he still transfer there? Would the time/tape he produced there benefit his potential career, vs MAYBE 1 year as the fulltime QB at UGA? He doesn't have numbers, or much of a chance to produce them. At the same time, we have to ask what the influence he has on the teams that he works with on this juggernaut program actually is. It's a whole crazy web of connections, influence, and production. Honestly, the more I start to say about it, the less I think I really understand.